“Disappointing Family Celebration”
Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We were treated to dinner at Seckford Hall by my parents as my mother was 80 so it was a big family celebration. There were ten of us in all and we live locally so we know that Seckford Hall is a lovely venue. We sat in the lounge for a drink where our food order was taken by one of the restaurant managers. Tthe staff were polite and efficient. When the food was ready we were ushered into the dining room. We sat at a large round table which was ideal for our party. When the starters arrived we began our meal and speaking for myself it was very disappointing. I had a warm pigeon breast on a bed of salad which sounded lovely but in fact was uninteresting and looked as if it had been kept warm for some time. As for the rest of the family, some had prawns with a sauce which looked like the prawns were just put on a plate with some sauce drizzled over. The people who had had this said they dish was very unexciting and they were disappointed with their starter.

The main course was served and I had lemon sole with a lobster mousse filling. This was average with the filling overpowering the fish. But the worst thing was that three members of my family had venison in a juniper and lime sauce which they all said was not nice at all. The sauce was far too strong and the venison was at best average. Dad had the sea bass with choritzo which I would query as to whether the two would be a good companions in a dish! However I noticed my father had left nearly all the choritzo on his plate.

Obviously when people are paying for your meal you cannot make a complaint but my husband quietly mentioned to the waiter that the meals were not appetising. The waiter went to the chef and came back saying the chef said some limes are stronger than others! I thought that this was hilarious. Surely the chef should taste the sauce and make sure it is good to go!

Desserts were very nice and they were the saving grace of the meal. We went back to the lounge where coffee was served. I had given the staff a cake to bring out with the coffee for mum's birthday and this they did singing happy birthday to her as they came in which was lovely. The coffee however was not! I could not believe how bad my coffee was. I asked for a decaffeinated coffee and this was served with coffee grounds floating in it with no flavour at all. In fact it looked like milk that had been shown a cofffee ground. Everyone else had real coffee which was tasteless with coffee grounds floating around in it. When you think a round of coffee for ten is no small cost and that most of us found it unpalatable I think this is extremely bad. Surely in this day and age with good coffee being served in so many places you would think this would be an absolute must for a good hotel.

My parents must have paid £400 or so at least for this meal. A meal for one was £38.50 I believe so it must have been at least that. They are both in their 80's and it's such a pity that we found the food wanting in so many ways.

All in all we thought the food terribly disappointing and felt that Seckford Hall was charging it's customers simply for being in the hall rather than for the quality of the food.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank P_with_G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed 30 September 2010

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at Seckford Hall.We found the staff very friendly, polite and helpful. Our room was bright and airy and the bathroom spacious. The food in the restaurant was very good particularly the cold buffet breakfast - plenty to choose from. The canapes before dinner were delicious! This hotel certainly met our expectations. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 September 2010

My wife and I stayed for 1 night on an afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast basis. All facets of service were very good, the room was comfortable and the food met our expectations. Although the location is close to the A12, there is a feeling of being deep in the Suffolk countryside, but with easy access to places of interest.
We will be returning.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We had a fantastic afternoon, the local golf course was scenic and challenging, the members were very friendly and inviting. Relaxing in a beautiful and comfortable room, with modern amenities before dinner. The evening meal and staff were amazing, the food delicious and service excellent. We used the bar, walked the grounds and enjoyed evrything about Seckford Hall. The nights sleep was the best we've had in ages and we went to a wonderful breakfast feeling refreshed. We'll be back soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

My wife and I spent a very lovely weekend at the Hall. The building is stunning from the outside, alittle 'faded' on the inside but very charming. We had the Tudor Room which was full of character and had a lovely bathroom.

We had diner both nights and whilst the menu reminded me of my mum's dinner parties from the 80s, the service was excellent and the quality of the food great. Good value as awell

The leisure complex is compact, nice pool though.

Great place to explore the local towns and villages just off the A12 but no noise etc

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Hopes were high on arrival at Seckford Hall. It's a beautiful property. A Tudor Mansion set by a lake in the gorgeous Suffolk countryside. Wanting to impress my girlfriend I had booked the suite situated in a converted barn / annexe. Unfortunately on entering the room she descended into fits of giggles at the chintzy decor. It looked like Hyacinth Bouquet had been set loose in a 1980's John Lewis furnishing department. It was at least spacious and comfortable - except for the temperature as it was a scorching day and there was no air conditioning or even a fan available.
Elsewhere in the hotel the decor continued to offend - there is a particularly horrific lounge in a kind of yellow and blue theme. Such a shame given the splendour of the building.
Dinner that night was competent. Like the hotel the approach to the cooking was a little outdated but reasonably competent. I was surprised that a £60 plus bottle of Pinot Noir arrived at the table already open but the liquid was good. The staff were a bit stiff and formal with an air of cynicism but the service was generally attentive. My lamb was perfectly cooked, my girlfriends fish over cooked but all in all we managed to enjoy the meal.
It all went a bit wrong in the morning. I had read on Trip Advisor that breakfast was to be avoided and I so, so wish I had listened to the advice. It was an utter shambles. You got the clear impression that the staff actually didn't want to be serving breakfast (no tips I guess). They looked under pressure, stressed and appeared to view the guests as a serious inconvenience. The service was hopeless and the food even worse. My cooked English breakfast was an utter disgrace. The sausages had clearly been oven cooked and every last drop of juice had long since left them. The bacon again looked like it had been on a oven tray with no browning and a tasteless chewiness about it. The eggs were a mess. I had asked for them turned over. They were rock hard and one had broken and there also appeared to be the remnants of a third egg involved in the whole congealed mess. I was already stresed out by the off hand service we had received and when I called the waiter over I was sent over the edge by the waiter's attitude. He showed no hint of concern but merely asked if I had ordered the eggs turned over in an acidic tone and with a clear implication that I did not understand what a turned over egg was. I must admit that I raised my voice in anger which is wrong but I will defend myself by saying it was a response to the environment. The offending breakfast was removed but by then I had no appetite to continue and left.
On departure I discovered that my breakfast had been removed from the bill but the receptionist made no reference to it or apology and was distinctly icy with me. When I mentioned the air conditioning / fan issue I was told that several of the guests had complained about it in a kind of 'well everyone else was in the same boat there's nothing special about you' kind of way.
The overall feel of the hotel is of a tired ownership and a demotivated staff team. Lovely as the property is I would think that it is one best avoided until the management really get a grip of it. It also badly needs some tasteful redecoration.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TringEagle
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We booked this one night stay very last minute. On arrival at this extremely impressive hotel and spa, we arrived at the reception desk the receptionist was on the phone we waited a good 4 minutes before the hotel worker from the back office saw us and came to check us in. The room was very nice we had a courtyard suite, the bathroom was a little disappointing a couple of hairs in the bath and it didn't feel altogether clean. The bathroom was in need of renovation. Only one bathrobe the mini bar had no price list and the lounge was a little sparse could of done with a CD /DVD player, but on the whole very nice.
In the leisure suite far too many rules, which put us off from having a swim.
Saturday evening dinner was outstanding probably one of the best meals i have had in this country.The service was excellent nice to see no silly antics going on with the waiting staff everyone very professional. Breakfast was very well presented with good quality ingredients and tasted just right but we had to ask for orange juice, danish-none were available,a coffee cup, on the whole the help your self table was a little disappointing. Never the less a very enjoyable stay. Most definitely would return

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!