We were treated to dinner at Seckford Hall by my parents as my mother was 80 so it was a big family celebration. There were ten of us in all and we live locally so we know that Seckford Hall is a lovely venue. We sat in the lounge for a drink where our food order was taken by one of the restaurant managers. Tthe staff were polite and efficient. When the food was ready we were ushered into the dining room. We sat at a large round table which was ideal for our party. When the starters arrived we began our meal and speaking for myself it was very disappointing. I had a warm pigeon breast on a bed of salad which sounded lovely but in fact was uninteresting and looked as if it had been kept warm for some time. As for the rest of the family, some had prawns with a sauce which looked like the prawns were just put on a plate with some sauce drizzled over. The people who had had this said they dish was very unexciting and they were disappointed with their starter.
The main course was served and I had lemon sole with a lobster mousse filling. This was average with the filling overpowering the fish. But the worst thing was that three members of my family had venison in a juniper and lime sauce which they all said was not nice at all. The sauce was far too strong and the venison was at best average. Dad had the sea bass with choritzo which I would query as to whether the two would be a good companions in a dish! However I noticed my father had left nearly all the choritzo on his plate.
Obviously when people are paying for your meal you cannot make a complaint but my husband quietly mentioned to the waiter that the meals were not appetising. The waiter went to the chef and came back saying the chef said some limes are stronger than others! I thought that this was hilarious. Surely the chef should taste the sauce and make sure it is good to go!
Desserts were very nice and they were the saving grace of the meal. We went back to the lounge where coffee was served. I had given the staff a cake to bring out with the coffee for mum's birthday and this they did singing happy birthday to her as they came in which was lovely. The coffee however was not! I could not believe how bad my coffee was. I asked for a decaffeinated coffee and this was served with coffee grounds floating in it with no flavour at all. In fact it looked like milk that had been shown a cofffee ground. Everyone else had real coffee which was tasteless with coffee grounds floating around in it. When you think a round of coffee for ten is no small cost and that most of us found it unpalatable I think this is extremely bad. Surely in this day and age with good coffee being served in so many places you would think this would be an absolute must for a good hotel.
My parents must have paid £400 or so at least for this meal. A meal for one was £38.50 I believe so it must have been at least that. They are both in their 80's and it's such a pity that we found the food wanting in so many ways.
All in all we thought the food terribly disappointing and felt that Seckford Hall was charging it's customers simply for being in the hall rather than for the quality of the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful four-star luxury hotel and spa offering an ideal base to explore the county of Suffolk - from the local Suffolk coast featuring popular destinations such as Southwold and Aldeburgh to Constable country visiting villages such as Flatford and Dedham. Steeped in history, the magnificent red brick Tudor building is over 500 years old and is complemented by the modern facilities of the newly refurbished Seckford Spa, adjacent to the main hotel building. Perfect for business or pleasure, the hotel is also a wonderful Suffolk wedding venue with acres of beautiful grounds and a lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Stayforlong S.L., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Seckford Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seckford Hall Woodbridge, Suffolk
- Seckford Hall Hotel Woodbridge