“Relaxing Spa Break”

Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel specifically for a spa break and wasn't disappointed.

We arrived early to enjoy the spa before checking into our rooms. Found all staff very helpful, had our treatments explained to us and all the relevant facilities.
Spa looked smaller than in pictures I had seen but was clean and although quite busy there was plenty of room for everyone there.

Once checked into our rooms we found that one had been upgraded due to a birthday within the group, rooms were spotless with good facilities.
Dinner was included in our break and it couldn't be faulted, staff were very attentive, good choice of food on menu all of which was served to a high standard.

Buffet breakfast was also nice with lots of choice to serve yourself.

All in all a very relaxing, enjoyable stay. Golf course looked lovely too. Would definitely recommend and use again!!

1  Thank EHoffman86
Director_Ufford_Park, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent Spa Break - we were very reassured to hear that you found the facilities clean & comfortable, the food good quality with plenty of choice and our staff helpful and professional throughout.
If we are aware of any guests celebrating a special occassion we do our best to recognise this if we are able - so thank you for appreciating this in your review.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, as well as the friends you recommend.

Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,258)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Firstly I'd like to comment on a review written by someone on the 20th March, I think this person must have been staying at a completely different hotel to me and my family!!!! We've had a fantastic time, rarely would I write a review whilst still at the hotel, it's 730am and have just woken after a comfortable nights sleep in our lovely room, we have a double bed (which my mum whose 70th birthday we are here celebrating stayed) and I had the single. From the moment we arrived yesterday morning we've have had a fantastic time, the front reception ladies were very helpful on our arrival, the spa reception staff we're brilliant one lady whose name I didn't get even offered to take photos of me and my family outside and didn't bat an eyelid when she had to use four cameras!!!! Nothing was a problem. We had a lovely time relaxing by the pool and in the thermal area, we had booked four Wraps and was greeted by four very friendly spa staff, my whole experience during the wrap was heavenly one of the best scalp massages I've ever had thanks to Abbie, everyone in my family agreed. Now to our dinner in the Park restaurant outstanding, our food was delicious, service was brilliant Stuart was very friendly and helpful and the even bought out a birthday cake for my mum which I had left with reception earlier, like I said I am writing this review whilst still at the hotel because we are having such a fab time, may it continue with breakfast and our pedicures this morning!!!! All I can say is we will defiantly be returning and recommending x

1  Thank Claire J
Director_Ufford_Park, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Claire
Well what can we say - THANK YOU - this is what review sites are all about - we appreciate we do not get everything right all the time but we always strive to do our best and when a customer not only tells us when we do get it right but questions the more negative reviews, it speak volumes to other prospective guests. With any hotel you can not satisfy everyone's expectations but having read your detailed review we are pleased we could you and your family.

We will pass on all your praise to our team in particular reception, spa and restaurant.
We very much look forward to welcoming you all back again very soon.

Best wishes and thank you again. We trust the Breakfast and pedicure finished your exerience off just as positively as it started !!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

One word very disappointing.
I was invited to a friends pre wedding celebration. So I did not have a chance to review the hotel before and because i was invited I went a long.

The reception area and staff were pleasant and helpful the room was not ready and I was told they would call me to tell me when it was. They never did.

I went into the bar area where one could get lunch and drinks.
it was awful the tables had been uncleaned, there were some staff trying to go around and do it but not enough. The food choices were good but the taste and presentation was not at all nice.

The bar area and tables were no better then a motor way lounge atmosphere.

The reception to the Spa was based within the area of the bar.
Upon changing and going into the Spa which by the way had no treatments available for the whole duration I was there, was one of the grubbys places I have ever visited.

The local swimming pools are in a better state. it needs a whole renovation from cleanliness to painting everything. I saw people walking around in shoes and trainers in the changing rooms. The showers were in a state. wet puddles everywhere.

You had to go pass the pool area along to reach the 'Spa area' which is no bigger then a large extended sitting room. hardly any seating a very small tub in the middle.people walking along the pool to get to it had foot wear on. I did not stay in itI looked around and left within 5 minutes.

At no stage did I see any staff in the changing areas or in the spa area either picking up a towel or drying out areas that were wet and slippery as a result of peole coming out of the pool area.
The changing rooms were cold and wet.

The gym area which I did not use was dark and depressing looking.

On entrance the reception area of the spa gave out Spa plastic bags containing a towel and dressing gown i asked for foot wear they said they did not give those. Normally one is given slippers of some sort in well established spas therefore not everyone brings them, for them to leave this out I find bizarre.

it did not appear clean at all.

Rooms
A premier Hotel standard room. basic, with bathrooms that had floors that were decorated like a public toilet.

To my disappointment but not surprise dirty towels that had been used were left in there. I called house keeping, and requested clean towels, pointed out what was left and requested the bathroom area be cleaned properly as I believed that it had not been touched.
To be fair to the housekeeping lady she did come back and clean the bathroom all over and was apologetic stating 2 new staff had started that week.

The evening meal in the restaurant was pleasant and I would class as average.

The outside grounds were beautiful if I had been a golfer I would be very happy, there are extensive grounds and a running track. If one remained on the grounds outside then there would nothing to complain about. its the inside that needs sorting.

Breakfast was again average a small section of the usual. Two bread choice brown or white basic brand.

As with other reviews I try to give an overall picture, the good the bad and the below average. This is to try and help improve services and I believe in constructive criticism rather then just being negative for the sake of it.

However I must point out that the staff were very polite and professional at all times and I believe they were working to their best with what they had when dealing with their customers. They were understaffed as the Spa reception had only one person, the bar staff were talking amongst themselves complaint they too were understaffed.

However this is no excuse for the place not to have an uplift in its decor and updating of facilities.

On the whole would I recommend NO will I return NO.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest
We are always very happy to receive constructive criticism and positive feed back from guests so that we can continue to improve our services and products. We are sure (being such an experienced Trip Advisor reviewer) that you did read our past reviews before booking and on that basis booked. We fully appreciate we do not always get everything right but it is very rare we get so much wrong.

We will of course take on board your comments about staffing levels, cleanliness and decor so that all these matters can be improved upon immediately.

We appreciate that despite the helpfulness, friendliness & professionalism of our staff, and location you will not return to our hotel, which is a shame, we never like to lose guests but accept that we will not be able to please everyone and perhaps a 4 star boutique style hotel might be more suited to your needs.

Thank you and we wish you all the best. If you do change your mind and wish to discuss how we can entice you back again then we would welcome you to contact us directly by calling Nicholas Holdsworth our General Manager.

Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Booked a two night spa break via bookaspa.com. Plenty of parking at the hotel and we were very pleased with the efficiency and ease of transactions, both with the agent and the hotel upon arrival. Our room was large enough, although the double bed was small. We were in a family room which had an extra single bed, didn't need this, but a larger double would have been nice. Clean bathroom and room. We had a little balcony but didn't use it as the view was pretty dire - a few air conditioning units and the car park. There was an odd smell in the room though, it smelt a bit like sewage. I blamed my boyfriend a few times... but we did smell it upon entering the room at one point and we'd both been out for hours. Unfortunately the room was opposite the exercise class and was noisy in the mornings, you could hear shouting and music. The gym was also really close and pretty noisy.

No option to have fresh towels for the room on day two, or a fresh robe and towel for the spa. Try not to get your robe too wet as there are not enough drying facilities in the room for two wet robes and 4 wet towels! They do give you a little bag of salts for the foot spa, which is a nice touch, but I would have liked some spa slippers. Remember to bring your own flip flops for use around the spa and pool. The spa itself is really nice. I particularly enjoy hydropools so I was a little disappointed to find some of the jets don't seem to be working, or are difficult to operate. The overhead water jets will only come on for very short bursts and then won't come on again for ages - unlike the ones at Aqua Sana which will stay on for a much longer time and are immediately reusable. No complaints about the sauna and steam rooms - the sauna is cooler than some I've been to but it means you can stay in there for much longer. Swimming pool and jacuzzi are excellent.

For all of my fellow fitness fans - the gym is really cardio biased. Both my partner and I are keen weightlifters (he body builds and I do Olympic lifting) so we felt that the free weights area was a bit poor. They don't have an Olympic bar or a squat rack which is a shame. But if you want to sit and cycle or pound the treadmill you will have plenty of space. The running track around the perimeter is really good so I opted for that in the morning. Fair choice of resistance machines and room to stretch or do pilates.

We experienced some poor service on our first night in the restaurant - our food arrived well before our table water and bottle of wine did! Food service is spectacularly quick, and I rather think that the waitress (who had a big hole in her skirt) simply forgot our drinks. On our second night we had a different waitress so the restaurant service was excellent, and on both nights the food was very good. Breakfast on both mornings was great. Plenty of choice and even though we were quite late both mornings (after 9) there was good hot food available.

Finally the massage therapies - these were both excellent. I had 30 minutes of deep tissue back, neck and shoulder on day 1, then 30 minutes of shoulder, neck, face and scalp on day 2. Both massage therapists were top rate. The hotel allowed us to check out half an hour late on our last day as our massage time was at 10.45 and we wanted to shower afterwards.

I would have given this 4 stars if I had slept well. Unfortunately, I didn't. Combination of quite a bit of noise and a bed that was a too small/uncomfortable. I have slept better at a Premier Inn!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your detailed and very helpful review - we were delighted to read that 95% of your Spa Experience was excellent quality and although there were a couple of occassions (perhaps with new trainee staff) when some service errors were made, we did make up for it the next time. We do put all our staff through an intensive customer service training program but as you can appreciate when they are brand new they still have a lot to learn but all our established staff regularly receive very high praise for their helpfulness and friendliness which we hope will reassure you.
We do of course appreciate that not getting a good nights sleep is the reason you gave us 3/5 instead of 5/5 and we will look to see what measures can be taken to improve sleep quality in the room you stayed in. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, without constructive feedback we are sometime unaware of these kind of problems.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked afternoon tea here for my wife and family as a birthday treat whilst I was away from home. My wife and family turned up to discover that no one had recorded the booking despite 2 phone calls and an email to confirm this . There was then a long wait before any action was taken to prepare for their tea. The tea did';t have the wow! factor and the party were left feeling very disappointed.
Following the tea my daughters went to complain and were basically left feeling that their initial complaint went unheeded. Finally a manager arrived and offered his apologies.
I am now hoping this hotel can make up for this poor service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ken
Thank you for your feedback - we apologise for the confusion regarding your booking but having fully investigated your comments we never appeared to have received your confirmation Phone call or follow up email, very occassionally emails do vanish into hyperspace but of course we appreciate that this does not help you.
Prior to your Trip Advisor review you did make us aware of your disappointment and our GM Mr Nicholas Holdsworth has already apologised to your wife and also written to you to resolve the matter - which I am sure we will be able to do so, we were just a little disappointed that you did not allow us to do this first.
It is however, unusual to receive feedback on poor service and quality of our Afternoon Teas so we do feel your experience was out of character and feel very confident that should you return you will be suitably impressed next time.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Spent lovely three day break at Ufford Park. We upgraded our room on arrival as the room we had booked through golfbreaks was very small. Few small issues with the room but nothing major and housekeeping were extremely quick in response. The staff throughout the hotel were very pleasant and in the restaurant were extremely attentive and the food was of a good standard and freshly cooked. The maître d' couldn't have been more helpful. The pool area was ok but very hot. We did use the spa facilities and although not exceptional passed a pleasant couple of hours. This was an extra charge. Only downside of the weekend was a very hard bed and the rooms were exceptionally hot. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious, quieter, have jacuzzi baths, however are extremely hot and beds hard. Love...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your informative and helpful review - we were pleased to hear that the small problems you had upon arrival were corrected immediately and effeciently! We were sorry to hear that your bedroom was hot though as most rooms have thermostatic radiators (but not all) but we have recently had unusually warm weather for March but we will get maintenance to double check everything for future guests though.
We were very delighted to read that you were also able to enjoy some of our other onsite facilities namely the spa and health club and you thoroughly enjoyed the quality of food and service throughout your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Looking for a 1 night stay near Southwold and Woodbridge with best friends, and only 1 place sprang to mind, Ufford Park. This was our third visit in four years, and from check in to check out it was brilliant. Friendly staff, lovely clean rooms with a view over the golf course. Reception booked a taxi for us for our night out which was on time and very efficient, the room cards have the cab co. phone number on them- great idea. Back to the hotel after a great meal at The Maybush. Chilled in the bar with a night cap, the hotel was busy but it was quiet and the staff were so helpful. Massive double bed was lovely for a great nights sleep. Woke to a sunrise over the golf course, and had a cuppa before for going down for breakfast, and what a breakfast. Hot, good quality, lots of choice. Again breakfast staff were very attentive. Nearly forgot to mention our afternoon in the pool and spa complex- excellent! Close enough for Southwold/Aldeburgh/Woodbridge. I have stayed in 4* hotels that are not a patch on Ufford Park, and we will return again and again.

• Stayed: March 2014
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Simon,
Thank you for not only making us your number one hotel to stay in when in the area but also your positive comments about your clean & comfortable bedroom, our staff, the facilities, views over the golf course and the quality of our food.
We work hard to provide our guests with a product which is not only good value for money but also one that will surpass any preconceived ideas of what a 3 star hotel should be, but It is always so wonderful to hear guests tell us when we do get it right - so thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th visit !!!

Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham

Been to Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!