“Home sweet home”

Chart House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 12 Dorking B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

During june I stayed at the chart house for 3 weeks. For me it was a business trip but the lovely lady(owner of the nice chart house)Jill and her family let me feel home and gave me also the feeling to be in holiday. It was also interesting to meet new people of different culture during breakfast. The service I could enjoy was very satisfied and the room was always clean. There is a very huge and nice garden where you can relax and enjoy the nature outside the city. I had such a good time at chart house and I was lucky to meet such a nice and social family! Take care and see you soon!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dario T
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dario - we loved having you to stay and hope you will soon be back. Thank you for writing such a nice review.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights as a solo traveller in a twin-room; Landlady Jill very welcoming and excellent host. Room very clean with nice views outside very pretty gardens. Shared bathroom but modern, clean, with nice powerful hot shower. Good free wifi and freeview TV. Off road parking away from busy roads. Located in nice part of Dorking only a short walk into town which has various restaurants, cafes and inns.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to giving you the same service when you next visit in August

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at Chart House for 3 weeks during my business trip in May'14. The place was excellent with its scenic beauty & Jill was the most caring host. It was truly home away from home for me with the personalised service starting from the bottle of 'Mermite' specially kept for my breakfast every morning to the clean & comfortable bed to sleep in the night. You wake up in the morning with the sound of a thousand chirping birds, the fluroscent green vastness of the garden outside your window with blooming flowers. The garden was an excellent place to relax during the weekend with the hens & alpacas for company. I wish I can go back again to Dorking to stay at the peaceful abode called 'Chart House'.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay and I have a jar of marmite waiting for your return!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well direct to the point,house nice location, good parking nice lady owner but she is sharper
Than a white shark.make sure that you ask the rates before you arrived.she is very money minded
Business woman who do not want to bend a inch.my friend booked a on suite room ,but the bad room
Is outsite but private to us ,for me that is not on suite.last time i forget to wright a review ,we had
A double room for 70 pound shared badroom .now we have a non on suite badroom and she charged 85 pound,to me there should not be a differents.she said ok you dont like go some where
Else ,at 7 in the evening i tought never mind ok becourse we dont want to drive around to find a other place.now a other matter this staying here is included continetal breakfast and she tell my friend scramble egg included the break fast continetal but when we order for my wife this egg
The charge was 6 pound ,we tought this was ridiculous but she said was not included,never mind we dit not know that eggs are so expences in the uk.like i said money minded person ,so if you want to stay at this place phone yourself do not ask friends or anyone else to ask or booked for you,this amount only for problems. also i
When you drive all day and work all day logical you have no interest to have a argument

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Petrus Z
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

This was a last minute booking made for a couple from Spain by a local trader. They previously stayed in January. I made it clear when the room was booked the price and what was included. When they arrived the elderly man was aggressive and persistently argued for a discount on the agreed price. He and his wife complained that the bathroom was not en-suite but all my prices are clearly displayed on my website and that I have no en-suite facilities. Their room had a private bathroom for their exclusive use next to the room. I explained the room was the only one I had available but they were welcome to look for something cheaper. I found him intimidating and his comments are extremely offensive and totally unjustified - he is just a bully and tried to take advantage to get out of paying the agreed price.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I together with my wife's sister and cousin had a very pleasant stay. Jill was a marvellous host. The bed's were comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and well fitted out. Off road parking in the fore court. Lovely gardens, and the house is within walking distance of the town. Used this B&B as the centre for our visit to the England, Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Wi-Fi only services the south end of the house, could do with a range extender in the guest lounge.

Room Tip: All rooms ok.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2013

best B&B in dorking could not Fault anything in the week we stayed there in nov 13 , the food , service and staff were excellent, rooms were of good size and bath rooms very very clean. we would recommend it to anybody who wanted to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

This is a stunning B&B located in a beautiful part of town with a huge garden to enjoy. The double room we had was well appointed and with all the necessaries.

One minor gripe was around the breakfast. Running a B&B is not an easy job, it can take over your life and I can understand that owners sometimes find it hard to balance their life and business. But from a customer perspective, it is not nice to be made to feel like you are inconveniencing your host by requesting the additional cost cooked breakfast (which in my book should be a standard offering anyway). Granted, a plan was made and someone was on hand and able provided the said breakfast, but as a customer I should have been blissfully unaware of this hiccup. But then the lack of quality of the ingredients just made the whole thing a let down. Bacon that is not bacon and sausages that barely contain any meat are just not on for me. Disappointing!

So overall a great place, but I would suggest just sticking with the included continental breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank ErikHLondon
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2015

Thank you for a generally great review but I would like to respond to your comments about the breakfast. Our prices are probably the lowest in the Dorking area and we are able to achieve this by offering continental (very substantial) breakfast included in the price and offering a cooked breakfast at extra charge. The vast majority of our clients are business people who often have no breakfast and appreciate the low price. However, for those wishing for a cooked breakfast we have never offered bacon or tried to pass off our smoked turkey rashers as bacon, our sausages are 80% meat and our eggs and free range from our own chickens - you can't get better than that!