“Excellent host and property”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorking
Chart House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 12 Dorking B&B and Inns
Vevey, Switzerland
“Excellent host and property”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The chart house is the best accommodation I have used in the UK so far. The rooms were not very big, but they were practical (eg, built-in wardrobe), tastefully decorated, and everything was in perfect condition. The house was built perhaps 100 years ago, with a lot of cachet, and a lovely garden. Our rooms overlooked the garden, and we slept with the window open, so the only sound we could hear was the waterfall in the pond. We had two adjacent rooms, therefore the fact that the walls were rather thin did not bother us, the more so that the other guests were single, and very quiet. On the other side of the house there is a busier road at some distance, but I guess with the window shut you cannot hear much. We shared a bathroom with the other guests (another two rooms), which worked perfectly fine. Everything was spotless, the rooms are cleaned daily, which we thought was a luxury. We were there with our 16 month old daughter, and a baby cot was bought especially for her!

Jill the owner was friendly and helpful. While she prepared the wonderful breakfast, she also entertained us with interesting stories. If you are desperate for your cooked breakfast, you have to mention it in advance and it will be charged extra. Some of the reviewers were unhappy about this, but to us this was mentioned both verbally and in writing.

Last but not least, Surrey is an attractive area, with various attractions (we went to the Box Hill, to Guildford, Reigate, Hampton Court) if you want to drive. Otherwise the centre of Dorking is within 10 min on foot, where you find shops and restaurants.

So we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Chart House. Many thanks Jill for that. We certainly hope she will keep running the B&B, so that we can return :-)

Room Tip: Garden side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rd76
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you will all return. The travel cot is waiting for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed for 4 nights and occupied a single room. The landlady, Jill, gave me a very warm welcome and I instantly felt at home. The room was clean and overlooked a superb garden which is accessible to guests. The hotel is set in beautiful surroundings with off street parking. Jill's family also made me feel welcome which I greatly appreciated. My stay could not have been more enjoyable. I highly recommend Jill's guest house. Thank you, Vincent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
It was such a pleasure having you to stay and delighted that it was a good week for you. Keep smiling and write that book!
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

During june I stayed at the chart house for 3 weeks. For me it was a business trip but the lovely lady(owner of the nice chart house)Jill and her family let me feel home and gave me also the feeling to be in holiday. It was also interesting to meet new people of different culture during breakfast. The service I could enjoy was very satisfied and the room was always clean. There is a very huge and nice garden where you can relax and enjoy the nature outside the city. I had such a good time at chart house and I was lucky to meet such a nice and social family! Take care and see you soon!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dario T
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dario - we loved having you to stay and hope you will soon be back. Thank you for writing such a nice review.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights as a solo traveller in a twin-room; Landlady Jill very welcoming and excellent host. Room very clean with nice views outside very pretty gardens. Shared bathroom but modern, clean, with nice powerful hot shower. Good free wifi and freeview TV. Off road parking away from busy roads. Located in nice part of Dorking only a short walk into town which has various restaurants, cafes and inns.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to giving you the same service when you next visit in August
mumbai
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at Chart House for 3 weeks during my business trip in May'14. The place was excellent with its scenic beauty & Jill was the most caring host. It was truly home away from home for me with the personalised service starting from the bottle of 'Mermite' specially kept for my breakfast every morning to the clean & comfortable bed to sleep in the night. You wake up in the morning with the sound of a thousand chirping birds, the fluroscent green vastness of the garden outside your window with blooming flowers. The garden was an excellent place to relax during the weekend with the hens & alpacas for company. I wish I can go back again to Dorking to stay at the peaceful abode called 'Chart House'.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay and I have a jar of marmite waiting for your return!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well direct to the point,house nice location, good parking nice lady owner but she is sharper
Than a white shark.make sure that you ask the rates before you arrived.she is very money minded
Business woman who do not want to bend a inch.my friend booked a on suite room ,but the bad room
Is outsite but private to us ,for me that is not on suite.last time i forget to wright a review ,we had
A double room for 70 pound shared badroom .now we have a non on suite badroom and she charged 85 pound,to me there should not be a differents.she said ok you dont like go some where
Else ,at 7 in the evening i tought never mind ok becourse we dont want to drive around to find a other place.now a other matter this staying here is included continetal breakfast and she tell my friend scramble egg included the break fast continetal but when we order for my wife this egg
The charge was 6 pound ,we tought this was ridiculous but she said was not included,never mind we dit not know that eggs are so expences in the uk.like i said money minded person ,so if you want to stay at this place phone yourself do not ask friends or anyone else to ask or booked for you,this amount only for problems. also i
When you drive all day and work all day logical you have no interest to have a argument

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Petrus Z
ChartHouseDorking, Owner at Chart House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
This was a last minute booking made for a couple from Spain by a local trader. They previously stayed in January. I made it clear when the room was booked the price and what was included. When they arrived the elderly man was aggressive and persistently argued for a discount on the agreed price. He and his wife complained that the bathroom was not en-suite but all my prices are clearly displayed on my website and that I have no en-suite facilities. Their room had a private bathroom for their exclusive use next to the room. I explained the room was the only one I had available but they were welcome to look for something cheaper. I found him intimidating and his comments are extremely offensive and totally unjustified - he is just a bully and tried to take advantage to get out of paying the agreed price.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I together with my wife's sister and cousin had a very pleasant stay. Jill was a marvellous host. The bed's were comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and well fitted out. Off road parking in the fore court. Lovely gardens, and the house is within walking distance of the town. Used this B&B as the centre for our visit to the England, Wales, Scotland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Wi-Fi only services the south end of the house, could do with a range extender in the guest lounge.

Room Tip: All rooms ok.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
The Running Horses
The Running Horses
#1 of 1 in Mickleham
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth

Been to Chart House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!