“Full of Character but Somewhat Tired”

The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorking

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
St. George's
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Room and bathroom was clean and comfortable. Shops and eating choices conveniently nearby. Floors a bit squeaky but that's expected considering it's age. The lounge is cozy, a bit dark but ok. Eating in can be quite expensive. Breakfast at the hotel was excellent. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: First floor room roadside is not the best choice, as the road noise can be disturbing.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marielle A
stoke on trent
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights and found the hotel very relaxing. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We took my mum and dad with us and I asked for a ground floor room for them as she walks with a stick or is in a wheelchair. She was put in the old stable block and was very impressed. It was a lovely room. We we're in room 35. If you want a good nights sleep ask not to go in this room. The water pipes ticked and knocked all night. Very irritating. Although I must say it was a lovely room.
We found the bar very expensive but maybe that's because we are used to prices up north. But there was a pub just down the road which was quite reasonable and did lovely food. The Surrey yeoman.
Also if you want breakfast while you are there pay for it the night before. It's £5 cheaper than purchasing it when booking.!!!
All in all it was a nice hotel and if we ever return to Dorking iwould stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 35. Nice room but noisy pipes all day and night even though the heating wasn't on .
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and use the website regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you found the hotel to be very relaxing. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations and that you very much enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding Room 35, I will ask my maintenance team to look into the noise issue in respect of the heating pipes as a matter or priority in order that this can be resolved and I would like to thank you once again for bringing this to my attention.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments.

With kind regards

Ed Cooper
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Having been looking at this hotel, from the window of my shop, on Dorking High Street, for the past 5 years, it has been nice staying there for a couple of nights. Stayed there for two nights, whilst doing the stocktake at work. Needed a comfortable place to sleep, peace and quiet to chill before the next days exertions. My one and only complaint is the extra cost for breakfast, when you have paid over £100 for a night, to be then asked to cough up another £17 for breakfast is a bit steep. Would recommend for a good nights kip.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a
review. I was delighted to read that we surpassed your expectations upon your recent stay, and we hope to see you again at the White Horse Hotel in Dorking in the very near future.

Ed Cooper
Hotel Manager
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Set in the High Street this is handy for shopping. The hotel is a mix of buildings but the all seem OK. There is plenty of car parking and the restaurant is good. The breakfast was excellent and the service very attentive.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 95. It is in the more modern block at the back of the site (you have to go outdoor...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear meltonpieman

review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we exceeded your expectations. It was also encouraging to read that my team very attentive and you were suitably impressed with the breakfast offering, I have communicated your feedback to my Foof & Beverage team. We hope to see you again at the White Horse Hotel, Dorking in the very near future.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback

Ed Cooper, Hotel Manager
Storrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a private party in the dining room and the staff couldn't do enough for us. the food was excellent for the money, we also had several rooms for people who stayed overnight and although the heating wasn't on they had heaters in the rooms the bed and pillows were really comfortable and the breakfast was great. I would certainly consider having the room for another function in the future.

Room Tip: This is a very old Hotel right on the High Street so expect creaky floors and traffic noise etc., th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear pmknelly

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent event at the White Horse Hotel, Dorking.

I am delighted that you were suitably impressed with the standard of service and that the quality and value of the food surpassed your expectations. I have passed your comments to my F&B team who were all delighted and very touched by your kind comments, and feel extremely rewarded by your remarks for their hard work.

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at the White Horse, myself and the team hope we can welcome you back to the property for your family celebrations in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your kind review

Ed Cooper, Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth

Been to The White Horse Hotel, Dorking? Share your experiences!