“Gone down hill”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Montgomery, United Kingdom
“Gone down hill”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed here for over 20 yrs .at least 1 a month.
However house keeping is very poor.
The rooms are tired..
£285 for 2 nights not worth it .
To charge these prices it needs upgraded. We are sorry to say it is now time to find another hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rose w
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only through receiving comments such as yours that I am able to constantly monitor the service and standards offered to our guests, especially from a regular guest like yourselves.

I am naturally extremely concerned by your comments, particularly regarding housekeeping. This is often commented upon as being of a very high standard, often better than most other higher rated properties, so your comments are especially alarming given the regularity of your visits to the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect and that we failed to match your usual expectations. If you’d like to discuss any of your comments directly, please feel free to contact me personally, my email address is h6637-gm@accor.com.

I have immediately responded to your feedback with my Housekeeping team and we have completed a full review of the department procedures, planning, training and standards together with a full and personal assessment of each of our bedrooms to ensure that these are being followed through. I therefore hope you will return to Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future where we can demonstrate that progress has been made and I am confident we can re-establish your faith in us.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had booked a meal in a nearby restaurant last Saturday as it was my husband's birthday. We then thought it would be nice to stay in a hotel for the night then both of us could have a drink. I looked on the internet and found The White Horse hotel, which seemed to have good write ups. I booked over the phone and was told that they had a good deal for £40 for the night excluding breakfast, which I thought was reasonable, so I booked it.
We arrived at 1.30 and our room was ready. Although it was a nice enough room, I was a bit disappointed as we were promised a Superior room and it was a bit small, so I am glad we did not pay the full price. It also needed dusting, but apart from that, it was fine. When I went to have a shower in the evening, I noticed there was only one bath towel and one hand towel. I was just about to call Reception when I noticed the other set in a bag in the wardrobe. Very strange!
We had a good nights' sleep and went down to breakfast. There was no one to greet us, so we just sat where we could find a table. We helped ourselves and were then asked where our breakfast voucher was, but we didn't know anything about this and were not given one when we booked in. Then on 2 seperate occasions we were told our egg will be ready in a minute, but we hadn't ordered one!
All in all we thought the hotel was fine, but I agree that it is a bit 'tired' and could do with being renovated.
When I went to pay the bill, I was told that the offer I was quoted over the phone was incorrect, but they were going to honour it. Apparently when I booked I was calling Manilla!! I hope I am not being charged for this call.....

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad that overall you
enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and address the service shortcomings in the restaurant with my Food & Beverage team as a matter of urgency. In the
meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the White Horse Hotel in Dorking very soon.

Kind regards,

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I took my elderly aunt to the White Horse Restaurant for lunch on Mothers' Day. There is disabled parking in the car park which gives reasonably easy access to the reception area. Then comes a couple of steps - so no use for wheelchair users. The bar staff were welcoming and friendly and drinks provided quickly. The restaurant was well laid out and all staff professional and tidy and helpful. There is a second section at the end of the restaurant which again has steps for access. When my aunt showed distress at needing to climb another few steps Maria Gomez, who is in charge of the restaurant, quickly organised a change in the seating plan to accommodate us.

The meal was very good. When we had a problem with something it was quickly and professionally dealt with and resolved. The portions are very big and, sadly, we could not eat everything.

The downside to this venue is the placement of the toilets! Having been scared to climb a few stairs to the second section of the restaurant my aunt was then faced with climbing 2 sets of stairs, going along a corridor and then down another 2 steps to access the Ladies' Powder Room. I am still not sure how she made it there and to say I was concerned is an understatement. Inside the Powder Room the facilities were clean. Another problem arose with the liquid soap as it was attached to the wall between the two hand basins and she could not reach it! If this had been a child it would have been the same situation. Descending the stairs took the help of both myself and my husband, who had realised that something was wrong.

The lesson I have learnt from this is to check really carefully how 'disabled friendly' a restaurant/hotel is before booking! This one, sadly, is not set up for people with even the slightest disability with walking. The staff were really helpful but even they looked embarrassed at the situation they saw unfolding/being played in front of them.

The food and service related to the meal was excellent. We were also presented with a small plant - for mothers' day - on our departure, which was a lovely touch. Sadly the experience, which could have been excellent, was badly marred by the lack of facilities for/thought about people with mobility problems. I would return for a meal there without someone with mobility problems.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I was very pleased to hear about your comments regarding the quality of Mothers Day Lunch at the hotel, and that my team surpassed your expectations during your visit. I have passed on your comments to Maria Gomes who is delighted with your feedback.

In response to your comments regarding the lack of disabled facilities and access difficulties, I appreciate that we have numerous steps within the hotel and the ladies facilities are located on the first floor. The original part of the hotel which contains the public areas dates back to 1758, and as such we have listed status. This results in being unable to make any alterations to the building without special permission, although better access will be a priority in any future development plans for the hotel.

In the meantime, my team are on hand to assist in any way possible in order for all guests to gain access to the hotel, and I am pleased to read that they rearranged the table plan in order to accommodate you.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the White Horse and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is clearly a very tired hotel in need of a radical shake up. The food was terrible, the service was chaotic with inexperienced staff, definitely not value for money. This should be a flagship venue given its location and period features, however this is little better than a budget hotel chain. Urgent attention required.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ross Y
Dear Guest

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience, and that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only through receiving comments such as yours that I am able to constantly monitor the service and standards offered to our guests.

I have passed on your feedback to my Food & Beverage team, who were also naturally concerned about your experience. I have recently appointed a new Food & Beverage Manager at the hotel who will address this matter with the team. As a result I do hope you will return to Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future where we can demonstrate that progress has being made and I am confident we can re-establish your faith in us.

I would like to apologise that we failed to match your expectations on this occassion. If you’d like to discuss any of your comments directly, please feel free to contact me personally on h6637-gm@accor.com.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Dorking hotels

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel so that we could see a show at the Dorking Halls. Easy access to halls. Stayed in the new block behind the hotel. The room was clean and okay. Did not have many toiletries in the room,could have had some shower gel as well as a bar of soap. The bed was so soft that we sank in the middle and had a bad nights sleep. The old part of the hotel was lovely. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sucgr_epsom
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and check the website regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations.

I have taken note regarding the matress in your room and offer my apologies that you had a bad nights sleep as a consequence, I would be gratefull if you could provide me with the room number so that I may investigate this matter and have the matress replaced. My email address in h6637-gm@accor.com. I have also noted your comments regarding the lack of ammenities in your room, thank you for brining this to my attention and this is something which I shall address with my Housekeeping Team. We always keep spares at the reception desk if there are insufficient supplies in your room.

I was very pleased to hear about your comments regarding the quality of our breakfast on offer at the hotel. We have invested time and money to ensure that this service is of the highest quality, and I am pleased that you have noticed that the standard has improved.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your feedback.

With kind regards

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a great stay at the White Horse in Dorking. Our rooms were in the main building and were very comfortable; the furnishings are looking a little tired but in an historic hotel we think it adds to the charm. The staff were all brilliant, everyone was really helpful and cheerful. The location is right on the high street amongst the shops, pubs and restaurants which was very convenient. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the charm and location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations and that you very much enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments.

With kind regards

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
#4 of 8 in Dorking
The Running Horses
The Running Horses
#1 of 1 in Mickleham

Been to The White Horse Hotel, Dorking? Share your experiences!