“Deals are not that good!”

The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Deals are not that good!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked a deal in june 2013. breakfast which was £15.00 each. I booked breakfast for my 87 year old parents for convenience. At check in they were selling breakfast vouchers for £10.00. They could have saved £20 by not taking the early booking deal. Only the 'executive' rooms have a fridge, which wasn't a mini bar. My brothers and sisters booked early as i did. There was no choice of executive or regular room. There was only an option to book a double room. My elderly parents struggled with walking sticks to manage the many stairs they had to climb to get to their room also without a fridge and a later to discover, no plug for the bath! They were also expecting a 'gift' for their early bird booking. I queried this as we were leaving. It was a free drink !!!. The receptionist gave them a £5.00 refund.
The room was clean and lovely bedding.
The staff were very nice and the breakfast buffet was well stocked.
We booked due to a family wedding and we were all travelling from the north for a two night stay. It served its purpose.

Room Tip: State very clearly a need for a fridge or no steps to have to climb to rooms. Don't book breakfa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise B
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and check the website regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

Whilst I was pleased to read your comments regarding my team and the breakfast offering, I was naturally disappointed to read your feedback regarding the rooms and the lack of fridges. The information that you were provided with is indeed correct, we have fridges in only some of the rooms within the hotel. If noted either prior to, or upon check-in, my Front Office team will endeavour to provide a room with a fridge, however this may not always be possible as it is dependent upon the availability of those rooms at the time.

I am sorry that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect. We endeavour to cater to the needs of every guest individually, and I would like to apologise that we failed to match all of your expectations on this occasion. I was also concerned by your comments regarding your elderly relatives.

Given the age of the building, it does contain many stairs and there is no lift, ground floor rooms again are limited within the hotel, and I can only assume that they were all already occupied or previously requested. I trust that my Front Office team assisted with luggage on this occasion, however, which is routinely offered to all guests upon arrival to compensate for this.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the White Horse Hotel in the future for a more perfect experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
sheffield
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Location fine , room nicely furnished , staff pleasant . Breakfast= Carnage -no food came out till around 25 minutes after breakfast started , people were walking out , terrible . No one seemed bothered from the hotel either which was terribly poor. We sat it out and once it arrived it was ok . Pity really as this let the hotel down .

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank madgreek18
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure White Horse Hotel.

I was encouraged by your comments regarding the location of the hotel and that your room and my team surpassed your expectations. I was however very disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience at breakfast.

I have investigated the matter at length with my Food & Beverage team and having done so I offer my sincere apologies that the breakfast offering was delayed on this occasion. This was due to a technical issue with the oven in the kitchen, resulting in the food taking longer to cook than usual. In order to preserve our health & safety requirements, we obviously are unable to serve any food until it reaches the required temperatures, and properly cooked. I would like to assure you that this was a one-off and the problem was rectified the same day.

None the less, I have noted your comments that it appears that my team could have handled the situation better and communicated this issue to the guests in order to prevent anyone leaving without breakfast, and I have fed these back to my Food & Beverage Manager. In light of this incident, he has since conducted extensive training with his team in order that they are better prepared should such an incident occur again in the future.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise once again that this seemed to have marred what was otherwise a pleasant stay at the hotel, and aside from this isolated incident, I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there two nights as I was visiting my family in the area.

Pros
In the middle if Dorking, so really convenient
My room was at the back of the hotel (in some kind of 1960's stlye ) office block type building, despite the external appearance, the room was fine and quite.
Good WiFi
Breakfast was OK (but had to pay £10 in addition to room rate)
Plenty of parking
Shower was fine

Cons
Bathroom a little shabby, but it was clean and the shower was fine.

Overall
No real issues (paid £65 per night) excluding breakfast, so no big issue for the price.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and I am pleased that you were suitably impressed by the location of the hotel and its facilities and I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the 'cons' that you raised personally, and address any issues as soon as possible with my team at the hotel.

In the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the White Horse Hotel in Dorking in the near future.

Kind regards,

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I've had the pleasure of staying at this hotel in the week for the past two weeks.

Due to my current work situation, I have needed to stay overnight in the Leatherhead area during the working week. I have stayed in several hotels in the area and this one is by far the best and I will be staying here every remaining week of my Leatherhead contract (provided I can get a room each week).

The food is excellent and the service is great too. The evening menu has some great options and varies week by week. The breakfast choices were a little limited last week but I was delighted to see croissants this week.

The rooms are a decent size and contain enormous, comfortable beds. Everything is clean and the rooms are furnished to a high standard. The TVs are a bit of a disappointment. The TVs themselves are nice enough but they only seem to be able to receive the 5 British terrestrial channels (along with Sky news and some French channels). It would be nice to be able to watch bbc3, e4 etc. - freeview channels that are easily receivable.

My only other issue is the WiFi which is very weak - particularly in the newest building at the back. I can't watch anything on my iPad as the signal isn't strong enough.

Overall, this is a great hotel with excellent service. Easily the best hotel I have stayed in (for business purposes) and I will continue my weekly stays here until I finish my work stint in Leatherhead.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectation on your recent visit and that you were very impressed with the service and the quality of food that you received at the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that you very much enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I was also encouraged that you find the hotel to be clean and comfortable and bedrooms well appointed.

I was very pleased to hear about your comments regarding the quality of our breakfast on offer at the hotel. We have invested time and money to ensure that this service is of the highest quality to ensure that it sets our guests up for the rest of their busy day.

I have noted your comments with regard to the limited TV channel selection in the bedrooms, and the speed of the wifi, I will look into these matters personally and ensure that any technical problems impacting these areas are resolved as soon as possible.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel during the remainder of your work contract in Leatherhead and I look forward to meeting you in person. Finally I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments which I will have great pleasure in sharing with my team.

With kind regards

sta cristina d'aro
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We have visited numerous times from Spain.Comfortable accommodation,friendly staff and ample breakfast.Good location for shopping with many restaurants within walking distance for dining out.
Convenient for motorway access and drive to Channel ports and tunnel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear from a regular guest that we once again met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you remain suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff continue to surpass your expectations and that you continue to enjoy your visits to the Mercure White Horse Hotel, Dorking.

My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel upon your next return from Spain and we hope that this will be in the near future.

I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments.

With kind regards

Montgomery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed here for over 20 yrs .at least 1 a month.
However house keeping is very poor.
The rooms are tired..
£285 for 2 nights not worth it .
To charge these prices it needs upgraded. We are sorry to say it is now time to find another hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rose w
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only through receiving comments such as yours that I am able to constantly monitor the service and standards offered to our guests, especially from a regular guest like yourselves.

I am naturally extremely concerned by your comments, particularly regarding housekeeping. This is often commented upon as being of a very high standard, often better than most other higher rated properties, so your comments are especially alarming given the regularity of your visits to the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect and that we failed to match your usual expectations. If you’d like to discuss any of your comments directly, please feel free to contact me personally, my email address is h6637-gm@accor.com.

I have immediately responded to your feedback with my Housekeeping team and we have completed a full review of the department procedures, planning, training and standards together with a full and personal assessment of each of our bedrooms to ensure that these are being followed through. I therefore hope you will return to Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future where we can demonstrate that progress has been made and I am confident we can re-establish your faith in us.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Dorking hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had booked a meal in a nearby restaurant last Saturday as it was my husband's birthday. We then thought it would be nice to stay in a hotel for the night then both of us could have a drink. I looked on the internet and found The White Horse hotel, which seemed to have good write ups. I booked over the phone and was told that they had a good deal for £40 for the night excluding breakfast, which I thought was reasonable, so I booked it.
We arrived at 1.30 and our room was ready. Although it was a nice enough room, I was a bit disappointed as we were promised a Superior room and it was a bit small, so I am glad we did not pay the full price. It also needed dusting, but apart from that, it was fine. When I went to have a shower in the evening, I noticed there was only one bath towel and one hand towel. I was just about to call Reception when I noticed the other set in a bag in the wardrobe. Very strange!
We had a good nights' sleep and went down to breakfast. There was no one to greet us, so we just sat where we could find a table. We helped ourselves and were then asked where our breakfast voucher was, but we didn't know anything about this and were not given one when we booked in. Then on 2 seperate occasions we were told our egg will be ready in a minute, but we hadn't ordered one!
All in all we thought the hotel was fine, but I agree that it is a bit 'tired' and could do with being renovated.
When I went to pay the bill, I was told that the offer I was quoted over the phone was incorrect, but they were going to honour it. Apparently when I booked I was calling Manilla!! I hope I am not being charged for this call.....

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad that overall you
enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and address the service shortcomings in the restaurant with my Food & Beverage team as a matter of urgency. In the
meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the White Horse Hotel in Dorking very soon.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth

Been to The White Horse Hotel, Dorking? Share your experiences!