“Very charming with history and a great staff”

The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for five nights in. June with several other families and enjoyed it. The hotel is very charming and the staff was very pleasant. The gentleman at the front desk remembered our names every time. We loved the stories that go along with a 15th century hotel..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and check the website regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations and that you very much enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We booked three rooms two doubles and one double, family room right at the top of hotel up two flights of stairs with no lifts in hotel extremely difficult .
All rooms shabby and in need of a complete makeover, maybe time to call in the Hotel Inspector !!
to make matters worse we all had a very disturbed night as there was a rave party in full swing till 4 in the morning after contacting reception my husband an I were moved at 1am to building away from main hotel, another depressing old room but at least we managed to get a few hours sleep unlike the rest of our party.
What should have been a comfortable break away with family turned out to be extremely exhausting and all of us looking forward to returning home for a good nights sleep.
These conditions aren't acceptable and we would never consider this chain of hotels again .

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep don't visit at weekends
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure White Horse Hotel.

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience, and that the hotel did not meet your expectations. In response, I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are in need of modernisation and improvement and I am pleased to say that this work is taking place. My maintenance team are working hard to continually improve the hotel and I am pleased with the progress that is being made.

I understand from my Night Manager, that he informed you that the disturbance was not at the hotel, but in one the neighbouring properties, and therefore not in any way associated with the hotel or any of its guests that evening.

I can assure you that in my tenure of over 4 years, this has been the first time that any of the neighbouring properties have cased a disturbance. This still leaves me somewhat bemused, how it could have happened as all of the neighbouring properties are commercial and not residential. As a consequence of your complaint, I can assure you that my Night team did contact the Police, however it appears that they did not arrive until over 2 hours from the initial call to attend to the disturbance.

As you highlight, my team did indeed relocate you to an alternative building in order that you were not disturbed any further, and once again offer my sincerest apologies that this had to take place as a consequence of the actions of others who are not associated with the hotel. I also understand that you spoke to my Front Office Manager in the morning who addressed your concerns in an acceptable and agreeable manner.

I am sorry that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect. We endeavour to cater to the needs of every guest individually, and I would like to apologise that we failed to match your expectations on this occasion.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 June 2014

On Mothering Sunday, we decided to try out the afternoon tea at the White Horse Hotel as it was advertising outside the hotel. We ordered 2 x afternoon teas. The waiter took our order and came back with 3 scones for the two of us! I then summoned over another waiter and told him if 3 scones was their idea of afternoon tea charging approx. £16 each. He said there had obviously been a mistake. Eventually the sandwiches and cakes arrived. The sandwiches were covered in mayonnaise and you couldn't work out what the fillings were. Lucky for us, we were not allergic to any of the fillings but they did serve up an odd combination of prawn with rocket, chicken with rocket and possible tuna with rocket (hardly any filling, but lots of mayo and even more rocket. Everything was tasteless and there was a half hearted effort to remove the crusts. Would have preferred them to either be on or off but not half on and half off. The tea never arrived so we had to chase this. A very disappointing afternoon tea. I did write to the Mercure to give them some feedback but they never replied. I find this very unsatisfactory and highlights they do not think about customer service or the customer experience. Had they bothered to acknowledge the letter and write back I would have felt much better. On the plus side, the waiter who did deal with our order the second time round did try and sort out the issue but my grievance is with the kitchen staff more than anything. I hope that they have improved since I visited in March but would not go back to give it a second try.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We endeavour to provide a unique and memorable experiance for all our guests, whilst I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use this to further improve our high standards. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced. I have passed on your comments to my kitchen team and my Head Chef has asked to be associated with my apologies.

I can assure you that this was not a reflection of the typical food standard which we provide at the White Horse Hotel, and I would also like to assure you that following your feedback, the chef responsible no longer works at the hotel. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that my kitchen team fell short of their usual high standards.

I am also investigating the lack of response to your original feedback, I have not been made aware of it personally until this point, so again I apologise that you have been waiting for sometime. If you would like to discuss your feedback in any further detail, please feel free to contact me directly via email on h6637-gm@accor.com.

I would very much welcome the opportunity for us to demonstrate the improvements which have been made recently and therefore hope to see you again in the future, I can assure you that we will be able to restore your faith in the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed a night here in June with a group of friends. Our hotel room was furnished nicely in a manner appropriate to the age of the building, nice bathroom and all clean and tidy. Breakfast is offered on arrival at £10 per person but we ate at a nice Italian cafe just down the road for a bit less!
Had issues with the bar as it was unmanned for a lot of the time we were there so we had to wait a while to be served, but this wasn't a huge issue as we weren't in a hurry.
Staff were friendly and helpful on the whole, but I got the feeling that the bar staff were a bit harassed as it was quite busy and there weren't enough of them!
Great location right on Dorking high st with free on site parking and a restaurant.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations, however I have noted your comments about the bar staff and addressed your feedback with my Food & Beverage Manager. I am also encouraged to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed one night at the White Horse. The hotel has lots of character but needs to invest in its bedrooms - our bathroom in particular was a bit dated. On the plus side the room was very clean. We had a room facing the main road and as it was a warm weekend we had to keep the window open - the road was quite noisy so light sleepers should perhaps ask for a room facing the other direction.

Breakfast was £10 if booked in advance, £15 otherwise. Good selection including full English, fruit, pastries etc.

The hotel's staff were very friendly and helpful and I'd be happy to stay again the next time I'm in Dorking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations and that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. In response, I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are in need of modernisation and improvement and I am pleased to say that this is taking place. However I was encouraged that inspite of this you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The staff at this hotel were wonderful. They were always friendly and helpful. The lobby and bar were very charming and quaint, however my room was tired and not up to Mercure's standards. The carpet was worn and chairs soiled and worn. The overall decor was more like that of a high end university dorm room. The bed was comfortable, but the burgundy blanket at the foot of the bed was stained. The bathroom was even more tired. It was functional and clean, but nothing more. The temperature in the room was very warm and I was led to believe there was air conditioning, which there was not.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at the White Horse.

Naturally, I was delighted to hear that you were both suitably impressed with the hotel staff and the quaint public areas. I was however, disappointed to hear of the shortcomings you experienced, most notably in your bedroom.

We have a diverse mix of bedrooms within the hotel and the style and décor of each room varies according to its location. This has been recognised and gradually this is being addressed by my maintenance team who are constantly making improvements to all bedrooms and bathrooms within the hotel. In respect of air conditioning, some rooms within do have 'comfort cooling', but I freely admit that this is not in all bedrooms throughout the hotel, due to its age. This is something which we intend to address in any future refurbishment plans.

I am sorry that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect and I would like to apologise that we failed to match your expectations, I do hope you will return to Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future where we can demonstrate the progress which has been made and I am confident we can re-establish your faith in us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were in Dorking for a wedding, as we were two years ago. The hotel is barely fifteen minutes walk from the main train station (Dorking has three!). Very comfortable room in a historic building. Breakfast advertised at £15 pp, that would be £120 for our family for the two nights, was offered at check-in at £10pp, no discount for the kids. There are loads of shops and cafes where you can get breakfast - we paid £12 at Sainsbury's (2 mins walk) on Saturday for all of us and still had food left over for Sunday. We paid just over £50 room only, so we were very happy. The bar is cosy. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations on your recent visit for the wedding and that you were suitably impressed with the bedrooms in the hotel and that you very much enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mickleham
Gatton Manor
Gatton Manor
#6 of 8 in Dorking

Been to The White Horse Hotel, Dorking? Share your experiences!