“Air conditioning would have scored it hgher”

The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times and found it to be very adequate with lots of charm but lacking in some of the finer points that you expect in modern, characterless hotels. I really enjoyed breakfast but learned quickly that "tea for one" means exactly that; enough for one cup.

This is an 18th century coaching inn with parts that are even older and is very well located on the High Street. It has lots of annexes all over the place and my colleagues told me the rooms on the front of teh main building are noisy.

Areas for improvement include providing air-conditioning (oh boy, was it hot at night and I didn't want to open windows being on the ground floor) and making sure there is enough water pressure. I almost had to runa round to get wet in the shower. The rooms have fridges but they really weren't up to much at all.

So some more modern facilities and this could have scored very highly

Room Tip: There are many rooms in different annexes so you can probably choose quieter v. less quiet, better f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest

We at the Mercure White Horse Hotel in Dorking very much appreciate all your thoughts.
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, and in response, we do have some modern air conditioned bedrooms within the hotel, however I appreciate that not all rooms have this facility. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that all of these rooms were occupied during your last visit.

Whenever occupancy permits, we will allocate an air conditioned room, especially during the recent hot weather, however for the other rooms within the hotel, we have purchased a number of fans in order to make the temperature more comfortable. We intend to address the issue of air conditioning in any future redevelopment plans for the hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, we have recently reviewed our offering and I pleased that the improvements have met with your expectations, however I have noted your feedback regarding the water pressure and this is something which I will address with my maintenance team.

Having noted all your comments, We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having booked the room many weeks in advance we arrived around 4pm to check in. Pleasant reception staff but no note to say we wanted a double room not twin. Not a problem. We went to our room in the main hotel and although a bit dated we were satisfied. Our friends arrived so went downstairs to enjoy coffee/ tea with them in the bar area. We then decided to have something stronger and ordered. G and T and white wine. The bar staff informed us that they were short on tonic and white wine. Would we be happy with Slimline Tonic! Again not a problem. We returned t our room, only one set of towels in bathroom, only one biscuit with the cups. However, after our return to the hotel after a party near by, there was only enough Gin for one measure and no tonic. Whilst we appreciated that the staff had opened the bar after their usual hours, surely as they knew they were very low on simple drinks like this they could have gone to the very near by Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available!) to stock up for the evening customers.

We went to bed in the hope of a good nights sleep. No way was this possible. Outside our window within touching distance was an enormous air conditioning unit which noisily switched itself on and off every 60 seconds or so throughout the night. At checkout in the morning we mentioned this and were told this was unusual and basically "tough". Breakfast was good but with indifferent service. Surely in this high tec day one should not have to pay for internet use. The room rate was not cheap and things could have been so much better.

Come on White Horse and Mercure get things better.

Ps I understand that after a further complaint by a member of our group we have been refunded a small amount of money for which we thank you. Please dont just dismiss customers comments without some thought.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marymonge
H6637, Manager at The White Horse Hotel, Dorking, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at the White Horse.

I was however, disappointed to hear of the shortcomings you experienced. We do value all our guests who visit us here at the hotel and I apologise for not being able to demonstrate this more effectively during your stay. One point that I would like to clarify is that wifi is provided free of charge to all guests throughout the hotel, so I am concerned about this feedback. If you would like to discuss this or any other of the points your raised further, please feel free to contact me directly on h6637-gm@accor.com.

While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

With Kind Regards,

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I believe this review may refer to a function which I booked at this hotel. I would like to clarify, in fairness to the hotel, the room provided was the room booked. They made it clear at the time of booking that the larger room was not available.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dansgran

Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for correcting the oversight on another review in defense of the hotel.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay here. Room was ok but extremely warm, however fans were provided in the room. Awful shower, no power in the water but great complimentary toiletries. Breakfast was good. Ample parking and friendly staff.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We appreciate all feedback and are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, regarding the shower pressure and I have asked my maintenance team to investigate all rooms at present. In the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the White Horse Hotel in Dorking
very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights for work. My room was a good size, however the bathroom was a little tired but both were clean. Unfortunately I couldn't connect to the wifi. I assume this was because I was on the top floor away from the hotel. As I was on my own this was disappointing.

The food was expensive and I ordered the chilli the first night which came without the creme fraiche and chicken on the second night which came without the chorizo. The breakfast was good.

On walking into the hotel a display is set up to advertise the afternoon tea. The cake stand had cobwebs coming off it. Not a great first impression!

The hotel's in a good location so I was able to go and walk around Dorking.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and check the website regularly to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. In response, I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are in need of modernisation and improvement and I am pleased to say that this is taking place. I was also encouraged read your comments regarding the quality of our breakfast on offer at the hotel. We have invested time and money to ensure that this service is of the highest quality, and I am pleased that you have noticed that the standard has improved. I was however concerned about your comments regarding the cleanliness of the afternoon tea display and you are correct that this is not the first impression that we want to create, this has been immediately addressed with my food and beverage team.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure White Horse Hotel in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

With kind regards

Reviewed 3 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Rob M

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Went for a reunion about 16 of us Arrived at 2pm Bar service poor Choice of drinks terrible and not much choice. Prices are ridiculous Bottle of cheap red wine £21 We went to surrey yeoman for proper drink. We went back at 6.30 for fish and chips again overpriced and poor quality Would not recommend

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank pauline b

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure White Horse Hotel.

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience, and that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention, as it is only through receiving comments such as yours that I am able to constantly monitor the service and standards offered to our guests.

I am sorry that your experience of the hotel during your last visit was not perfect. We endeavour to cater to the needs of every guest individually, and I would like to apologise that we failed to match your expectations. If you’d like to discuss any of your comments directly, please feel free to contact me personally.

Yours sincerely

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in East Horsley
The Running Horses
The Running Horses
#1 of 1 in Mickleham

Been to The White Horse Hotel, Dorking? Share your experiences!