“Wedding Venue” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
“Wedding Venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stunning venue set at the bottom of Box Hill just outside Dorking, helpful staff, we would recommend to any bride and groom as the perfect wedding venue barn style, modern, swimming pool, own entrance to reception and main hotel next door with room for all your guests, definitely well worth a look!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goldfinger2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
East Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Overnight stay for a party; Very efficient and friendly check in, our room was ready earlier than expected. We had a Bar meal for lunch, food was good and service excellent. The Room was one of the executive rooms which was comfortable, clean and well appointed. the main lighting could have been brighter and the bathroom fan quieter. But we were there for the bed which was very comfortable. All the staff we came in contact with during the day evening and at breakfast were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nogtraveller
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was booked in here on business for an overnight stay. On arrival the receptionist looked pleased to see me and was smiling, what a nice welcome. The booking in process was easy, efficiently conducted and I went to my room.

The room was very well presented. A large bed, two armchairs, a built in wardrobe, dressing table and a small table and adequate floorspace. A really nice double room. The bed was dressed with pillows, cushions and a throw giving it a luxurious look and feel. Dressing rooms like this helps one appreciate the effort that someone has taken to make the room look nice.

The en suite was perfectly clean and functional with complimentary soaps and toiletries.

My colleague and I had an early start the next day and would be leaving the hotel at 0550, so I enquired about the possibility of any breakfast at that time? I was told that due to the chef not starting until 0530 a hot breakfast was not likely to be available. Entirely understandable in the circumstances. However, I was told that the early staff and the night staff would make sure that there was some coffee and toast out for me from 0530. A nice provision at short notice.

Supper consisted of the rib eye steak, which was cooked to perfection as far as I was concerned, some vegetables and multi functional chips, which served three purposes.

1. Bought out in me the architectural appreciation that I feel when I see a construction or building. They were arranged in a column of three layers. The base layer roughly equally spaced out so that the next layer rested on top and are almost edge to end at 90 degrees. The top layer was then placed at 90 degree to the middle layer but in line with the base layer.

2. The pile resembled a Jenga tower, the game usually made of wooden blocks where you try to remove one block without disturbing the tower. Unable to resist the invitation presented thus my colleague and I played Jenga for about 5 minutes. We ended up equal with 54 points each. The games were very short for as soon as the first person at attempted to withdraw a Jenga chip the pile collapsed, presumably due to the oil dan sticky coating of the chips?

3. The chips were then eaten.

So a simple portion of chips, a work of art, a game and food. Splendid.

Check out at 0530 was efficiently dealt with despite some problems with one guests' card being refused several times. The night person coped with the hiccup well and the guest was not fazed.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise with more than toast and coffee that had been offered. The early morning kitchen staff, on being told that there were really early breakfast guests had arranged cereals, yoghurt and milk and fruit, and a selection of cold meats and cheeses, as well as toast. Consequently we were better fed than we had expected, thank you all so much for making that effort for us.

There may be minor things that a perfectionist might find needing attention in the room I used or around the hotel, but then some will find fault wherever. The tiny patch of flaking paint, a missing curtain retainer. In the big scheme if things these are minor and do nothing to detract from the pleasure of having stayed at a nice clean, politely staffed and efficiently run hotel.

I was there on business but would return for pleasure if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a function with music and ask for a room away from that area if music disturbs you.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank veryoldbaldman
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

The quality of the venue, service and food cannot be faulted. Especial credit to Kevin, Didier and Bertrand who helped make the whole weekend truly special. Every meal was first rate, beautifully cooked and presented. Nothing was too much trouble and all of the staff were extremely professional and friendly. Thank you for making our daughter and son in law's unforgettable.

Room Tip: Maybe not choose room 301 as the hotel heating system fires up twice during the night and is rather...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eryl S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

A friend of mine was getting married at Denbies vineyard and had sent out the details of hotels nearby to book. We booked this hotel 6 weeks in advance and then the day before the wedding they rang us to tell us they were moving us to another hotel. They gave us some mickey mouse story about the bookings getting mixed up because we used laterooms.com. When I told them we didn't use that and booked through their own website, they mumbled something and tried to correct themselves. They then said that as we had booked a cot, they would make sure they upgraded us in this new hotel. Again, lies. We do not have children and did not book a cot.

These guys are an utter shambles. They moved us to The White Horse hotel in the middle of Dorking High Street and we negotiated an upgrade, free breakfast and a reduced rate .They told us they'd give us an upgrade and free breakfast for £99 for the inconvenience and by way of an apology. You could actually still book the room and breakfast for £109 on their own website at that point. I told them this and they said you couldn't, despite me having the website open in front of me while talking to them. After about 10 minutes back and forth they agreed to give us a discounted rate, as if it was doing us a favour.

I thought this would be the end of it. We knew other people who had booked at Burford Bridge and had arranged to go with them to the wedding, and this would obviously not happen now as we were in different hotels. I spoke to them and warned them of what had happened to us and they said they hadn't heard of anything with their booking so they'd just see us there.

Then, on the day of the wedding (at 3.10), they got a call to say there had been a leak in their room and they'd have to move them to another hotel. As I had already told them of what had happened to us, they knew this was a lie and confronted the hotel about it.

Again, the same song and dance as us and they got moved to The White Horse for a reduced rate, free breakfast and free taxis to and from the hotel.

Again, we thought that would be the end of it, but when getting the taxi back from the venue, we were told it wasn't being paid for by Burford Bridge and that they are famous for messing up reservations and not paying up for the taxis they've promised.

Avoid this hotel like the plague. On the plus side, The White Horse is a lovely hotel and Dorking is a nice little town. If you're planning on going to Dorking for any occasion, I'd recommend staying here, and avoiding the Burford Bridge. Even if you think you're booking is still safe they will find a way of messing it up and lying about it to you.

I would give this zero stars but you can't submit a review without one...

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank heggers79
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Dropped into this hotel for lunch whilst travelling to the coast. Ordered sandwiches and coffee. The latter arrived alright but after waiting 40 minutes there was still no sign of the sandwiches. Seeing that I was about to leave the waitress rushed up and said she would check what had happened. Apparently there was a wedding reception on and the kitchen was busy. After 10 minutes still no sandwiches so we left. I will not be going back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikefromCambs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
De Vere Wotton House
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead
Woodlands Park Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham

Been to Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!