“MichaelG”
Review of The Waltons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorking
The Waltons
Ranked #2 of 12 Dorking B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We loved The Waltons’ house. It was a dark winter evening, when my wife and I arrived. But as we stepped inside, it was warm and light, the walls were full of pictures I wanted to look at, a dog was wagging its tail and a friendly cat was lying stubbornly in the middle of the corridor.

Upstairs, we were shown into a bedroom that was carefully decorated with an eye for detail and artistic flair. Even the bathroom was imaginatively decorated with flowery wallpapers around the big old bathtub. A TV was in the room, but what a waste it would have been to put that on in this house. Maggie even offered us some cake from the breakfast room, where a small fridge is gently humming for guests to have fresh milk in small glass (!) bottles for tea and coffee anytime of the day.

Breakfast was served downstairs in the family dining room. Lots of jams and marmalade, cereals and fruit, and fresh bread – not just toast – were laid out on the antique table, with the fireplace lit up in the background. We could only have continental breakfast, as we had arrived without prior arrangements on a Sunday evening. But Maggie usually offers also a full English breakfast.

We did not want to leave that house. I have since arranged for my Dad to stay a couple of nights, and he felt the same. And the price of it all is friendly too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

What a beautifully written review, I had to read it through several times as it was so delightful. It's always lovely to get repeat business and especially gratifying that a different generation gets to stay as well. The cakes are still coming, this weekend we've had coffee and walnut, rock cakes and chocolate brownies - I seem to have created a monster, due to Trip Advisor guests now arrive scanning the dining room for the latest offerings.
As always I thank those of you who take the trouble to leave a review, it is so important that potential new visitors can see up to date comments and be reassured of a warm welcome at The Waltons.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a party nearby. What a beautiful building and location. We were welcomed by the dog, cat and John who showed us to our basement apartment (although we had only booked a double room) pointing out the breakfast room (and home made cakes en route). The basement was comfortable and charming and filled with lovely old furniture, books and antiques. We lit the candles in the fireplace, made a pot of tea, helped ourselves to coffee and walnut cake and were tempted to skip the party! Arriving back after the party and craving coffee and chocolate I was excited to see a big jar of mini bars & bags of chocolate to have with our cafetiere of coffee. Nice touch!
We enjoyed a continental breakfast sitting around the table laden with plenty of choice of cereal, yogurt, bread, fruit, proper crunchy toast and choice of preserves, some homemade. Decent coffee too.
It was also very convivial sitting round the table sharing breakfast with the interesting other guests.
Lovely B&B - would highly recommend and will stay again if we are in the area in the future. We even went home with a bag of blackberries which we picked close to where we parked in Rose Hill.
NB - well worth visiting Denbie's Vineyard which is very close.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

I can't stop reading this review, it has really made me smile. it would appear you couldn't have been happier and this is our aim for all our guests. So glad you liked the family room and we would love to have you back for another stay; you might like to try the front double with it's beautiful views over Ranmore Common and the slopes of Denbes Vineyard. Thank you for taking time to send off a review, and most especially for making me smile.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am a long-staying guest due to work commitments and I can honestly say that the service and 'home from home' feel offered by Maggie and her family has been fantastic. If you time it right, breakfast includes some freshly laid eggs from the chickens in the garden! The dining room always has a wide array of homemade cake to help yourself and the house is a beautiful 3 story old English home, from which one can see Box Hill, the very distinct spire of St Martins Church and just in front of the house is a large green area which sheep graze upon, it's set in a wonderful peaceful street yet only a couple of minutes walk from Dorking high street! It's great value for money and if you're visiting for business or pleasure there's plenty Dorking offers; whether it's a long walk around the surrounding countryside or to just relax in one of the many coffee shops within the picturesque town of Dorking, whichever it is, if you're planning to stay in Dorking, stay here :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 982Tom
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

This is so beautifully written you could get a job copy writing for the Dorking Tourist Board. We've enjoyed having you to stay for the last few months, and happy to know you feel so at home. The chickens seem to have upped their egg supply so with luck there will be plenty of fresh poached eggs for you in the coming month. It was extremely kind of you to write such an informative review, thank you so much.
All the best from
Maggie

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in July. Pleasant owner and good breakfast. Cluttered room at top of house which was difficult to get to with luggage. Bathroom small but OK. No locks on doors. Parking tricky in narrow drive and requires keys to be made available to owners in order for cars to be shuffled. ??? insurance of hire cars. Attractive garden and location but probably impossible to find without a GPS. Only accepts cash or cheque for payment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clive H
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you Clive for your comments, although we're disappointed you didn't get such a positve stay as we would have liked. Just a couple of things, we offer free unlimited wifi at The Waltons and many of our guests pay directly online, or they pay via a direct bank transfer in advance if paying a deposit. We are a small concern and would have to put our prices up to accommodate a card machine. I agree that our drive is awkward, these houses were built in 1830, long before cars were invented so many guests park on the road which is free and unrestricted 24 hours a day. We would love to see you again and maybe next time you could choose a different room and try to give us another chance.
All the best from us both in Rose Hill
Maggie and Richard

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We booked our one night stay just a few days before our stay. I don't remember the price we paid but I do remember that we felt it was very reasonable for 4 adults (me, husband and older teenage children). Communication from Maggie re : arrival times was very good. We were feeling positive about our choice before we arrived and we were not disappointed.
On arrival we were greeted and shown to our room by a friend of the family. He also pointed out cakes in the breakfast room which we could help ourselves to. We found out later that the next day Maggie was hosting a large family/friends get together so had been busy preparing.
Our 'room' was the basement apartment which had windows and was light and airy. The bedroom/living room was open plan and the mix and match furniture gave it a homely feel. The rocking horse and doll's house were just two of the things that had me and my daughters saying 'oo, look at this'. There was a dining table in the living room area. The bedroom area had an Edwardian style (I think) and the beds (a double and 2 singles) were all comfortable. The small kitchen was useful. Although we only made a snack, it was so much nicer than preparing/eating in a bedroom. There was a separate bathroom and shower room. Doors open from living area onto a small paved area which led to the garden. We didn't open these and don't know if guests can use the main garden.
Our daughters usually have their own room when we go away as a family but the space in the apartment meant sharing was fine. For anyone with younger children this space would be perfect and in my opinion excellent value.
For breakfast we chose 'continental' and this was simple but just right for us. Cooked breakfast was available at extra cost. Maggie and Richard popped in and out to check everything was ok but didn't 'hover' too much.
All in all we had a lovely stay and the apartment was different to the usual b&b rooms we have stayed in. I would have loved to stay longer. The only thing I'd have liked to have known before we arrived was that there was a dog in the house. This didn't effect our enjoyment but it was running in the hall when we arrived and I did think that if someone didn't like dogs or a child was frightened of them, it wouldn't have been a good start to their stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

This is such a long and detailed review, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to put it all down. I think I remember your family because I believe you were on your way to Chessington. Tried working back from the big family/friends lunch! Always a pleasure to get a good review but yours was especially useful for other visitors to know what is on offer from a guests point of view. I take note about the dog, she's called Edith and she's a Wire Haired Fox Terrier of great beauty. She doesn't generally bark and is very friendly if a little nervous herself (generally I try to keep her back when the door bell goes, at least until people have been formally introduced). I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we would love to see you all again if you visit Surrey and Dorking.
All the best from Maggie

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We originally intended to stay elsewhere but they were full so googled The Waltons. I forget the lady's name, but the owner was warm and friendly and very patient with my 5 year old's endless questions and investigations into their quarters!!! Upon arrival we were shown around and asked what time we'd like breakfast, then shown to our room. Little disappointed as I thought I'd booked an en-suite room, but I believe all the double bedded rooms do not have en-suite facilities. There are twin rooms that have en-suite bathrooms, but our particular room had the use of an adjacent bathroom.

The house is Victorian I believe and is set on 4 levels. There is a basement apartment (available for rent), the ground level with dining room and owner's sitting room and kitchen, first floor with 2 bedrooms and the upper floor which is the owner's lodging. The whole house has a very inviting feel to it and there are many original features such as bell pulls (for the long gone serving staff that used to live in the upper floor). The basement apartment also has a wonderfully ancient fireplace with kettle and oven. Quaint. It's ideally located for Gatwick airport, being literally 20 minutes away.

The beds are super comfortable with lovely duvets and there is tea/coffee making facilities, biscuits of differing kinds and plenty of towels. For our 5 year old they provided a roll out bed which was quite sufficient.

In the morning we got ready, little tricky having a shower in the bath. It's just a shower attachment, no shower curtain, so you have to sort of sit down and make the best of it. Not ideal at all. However, breakfast was lovely. Plenty of white or brown crusty bread for toast, lots of jams and marmalades, cereals, lashings of tea or coffee and the full English was cooked nicely and very tasty.

There is off street parking but this might not be available if the place were fully booked. However, there is also parking on the street. The view out of our bedroom window was over a field with horses or cows (I forget which!) and there is a lovely, beautifully kept garden to the rear.

All in all a very nice place to stay and I'd happily go there again, although I'd forgo the double bed in favor of an en-suite bathroom. Don't like having to get dressed to go for a pee in the middle of the night! Little on the pricey side if I remember correctly, but it was worth it.

Room Tip: If an en-suite bathroom is important to you, you can only have twin beds. The double rooms share an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Vera2208
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

How sweet of you to take time to leave us a review. It sounds as if you enjoyed your stay and we are only disappointed you were unaware about the private bathroom, as opposed to an en suite. There are always large fluffy towelling bathrobes for guests use so they can just throw them on for comfort and privacy. I note you were with us in April so maybe you need to enjoy the garden when it is in summer mode next time, or maybe in the winter with snow on the green. Oh by the way, they are sheep grazing; many years ago we had horses but for some time now we have our mobile woolly grass cutters in residence.
Thank you once more for your lovely kind words, and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed at The Waltons for over a year on business. Maggie made my life so comfortable in a new place. A very friendly, warm and charming couple, Maggie and Richard, treat all their guests equally providing individual attention to your own requirements. Maggie is a wonderful cook and excellent baker. It is so pleasant to enter the house after work to the aroma of freshly baked cakes, always a couple to choose from for your dessert. I loved the fruit stew-a speciality, and all the breakfast Menu. I had the opportunity to stay in every room here, each room is special in its own way. My favourite was the front double. The decor in the dining and hallway changes during Easter and Christmas. Maggie's dog Edith and cat Muzzy are very well mannered too :-). I would always recommend The Waltons to anyone looking for weekend, business with or without family. My son and husband have both visited here and love the beautiful home, its surrounding and Maggie and Richard. Thanks Maggie for making my long term work easy by providing such a wonderful accommodation.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Iceymole
Magglington, Owner at The Waltons, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

It was truly a pleasure to have you to stay for such a long time, we miss you at the breakfast table each morning.
I love your review, it is so kind of you to give us such high praise and we would love it if you could come back occasionally to stay with us again.
Thank you so much for writing a review, I do appreciate the time you have taken.