“Immaculate fishery but room for improvement”

Bury Hill Fisheries
Ranked #9 of 23 things to do in Dorking
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed with a friend in Chertsey and we decided to go for a day's carp fishing. We had been to most of the local lakes so decided to head down to Bury Hill as we had heard it was good and the website said there was a 'two rods for price of one, summer recession buster' carp fishing offer. Sounded good.

The fishery is approached along a very pleasant woodland drive. At the end of the drive was an open five bar gate into the fishery, which we drove straight through. Unfortunately we soon found out that we'd messed up - for parking you turn right before the gate - so an awkward reversing manoeuvre got us back outside.

After parking up we went to buy our tickets. These are available inside the well-stocked and reasonably-priced tackle shop. I took the opportunity to stock up on some of the ground baits, of which there was a good selection.

There was an unpleasant surprise when we came to buy our tickets. The guy taking the money knew nothing about the special two-for-one offer, 'must be old' he said, and so we had to pay the full £18 each for two rods. This is the most I have ever paid for a days carp fishing.

We then walked down to the lakes. After a few yards there was a sign giving all the various restrictions for fishing there - one of the first was 'no ground bait', so I wouldn't be using my latest purchases. How useful that they should sell it though! There are quite a few other restrictions (as there are at any lake) so I would read the board before shopping.

The lakes were some of the most immaculate and well-kept that I have had the pleasure to fish so it is easy to see where the high rod fees go. We spent the day on one of the smaller lakes which was allegedly 'over stocked' with carp etc. My mate caught a nice 5 pounder or thereabouts. That was by far the catch-of-the-day on that lake with most other fisherman (and we could plainly see around 6 or 7) catching nothing or one or two tiddlers. I had one bite. So a bit disappointing, all things considered.

At the end of the day we had a final frustration - neither of us are in the best of health and carp fishing involves a lot of gear. Despite the fact that there are excellent tarmac roads around all of the lakes, this access is not open, even for loading/unloading and so we had a long and exhausting trudge back to the car.

Overall we had a pleasant day but, for a first time visitor, I kind of came away feeling a little short changed.

4  Thank Devon Womble