“Carp fishing on old lake”

Bury Hill Fisheries
Ranked #9 of 23 things to do in Dorking
Epsom, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Carp fishing on old lake”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Old Bury Empty

I have fished for carp at this Nice but expensive venue quiet a few times over the last 4-5 years...Clearly any Carp of notable weight have been removed and placed in the specialist membership only lake.

So don't bother popping down there for the day expecting to catch a whakker.... It just won't Happen !

Visited June 2012
13 Thank tallpauls

Tarbert, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great fishery - wonderful day out”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I travelled down from Scotland to spend time with an old friend who organised a trip to the lakes for a spot of Carp fishing. As I could not bring tackle with me he booked a days fishing to include all tackle and bait. We had a guide Eric who supplied us with all we needed and selected swims for us that would (should) produce fish.
Lovely setting and although the water had coloured badly we were able to land a number of carp to 10lb ( about max for the small lake we were fishing)
We had a wonderful day, caught fish and had brilliant sausage and bacon sandwiches with tea that tasted of tea and not something stewed out of all recognition.
The only thing we had to add to an excellent day fishing was the license which I guess the authorities have to have their cut of anything we enjoy!!!
Highly recommended and Eric was instrumental in us catching some decent carp (sorry about losing some tackle Eric!!?
A must visit for any angler.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank loafersnipe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Immaculate fishery but room for improvement”
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed with a friend in Chertsey and we decided to go for a day's carp fishing. We had been to most of the local lakes so decided to head down to Bury Hill as we had heard it was good and the website said there was a 'two rods for price of one, summer recession buster' carp fishing offer. Sounded good.

The fishery is approached along a very pleasant woodland drive. At the end of the drive was an open five bar gate into the fishery, which we drove straight through. Unfortunately we soon found out that we'd messed up - for parking you turn right before the gate - so an awkward reversing manoeuvre got us back outside.

After parking up we went to buy our tickets. These are available inside the well-stocked and reasonably-priced tackle shop. I took the opportunity to stock up on some of the ground baits, of which there was a good selection.

There was an unpleasant surprise when we came to buy our tickets. The guy taking the money knew nothing about the special two-for-one offer, 'must be old' he said, and so we had to pay the full £18 each for two rods. This is the most I have ever paid for a days carp fishing.

We then walked down to the lakes. After a few yards there was a sign giving all the various restrictions for fishing there - one of the first was 'no ground bait', so I wouldn't be using my latest purchases. How useful that they should sell it though! There are quite a few other restrictions (as there are at any lake) so I would read the board before shopping.

The lakes were some of the most immaculate and well-kept that I have had the pleasure to fish so it is easy to see where the high rod fees go. We spent the day on one of the smaller lakes which was allegedly 'over stocked' with carp etc. My mate caught a nice 5 pounder or thereabouts. That was by far the catch-of-the-day on that lake with most other fisherman (and we could plainly see around 6 or 7) catching nothing or one or two tiddlers. I had one bite. So a bit disappointing, all things considered.

At the end of the day we had a final frustration - neither of us are in the best of health and carp fishing involves a lot of gear. Despite the fact that there are excellent tarmac roads around all of the lakes, this access is not open, even for loading/unloading and so we had a long and exhausting trudge back to the car.

Overall we had a pleasant day but, for a first time visitor, I kind of came away feeling a little short changed.

4 Thank Devon Womble