“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Lincoln, UK
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

I stayed here a couple of nights ago and I was very impressed with it.

I wasn't impressed by the fact that I initially drove past it and into a field, but that was my fault for not paying attention and relying on my sat nav too closely....

The hotel is an old country house and is laid out as such and it's rather quaint, lovely atmosphere and (my room) was beautifully done.

The entrance isn't obvious so I wondered into the bar, where the very friendly chef took me over to the reception (when you park up and walk round, it's the door on your left - Probably needs to be made more prominent).

I was put in room 10 which was really nice - LCD TV, huge bed, lovely bathroom, nice windows, warm and quiet.

I ate in the bar (I never eat in hotel restaraunts) and I had the mussells, burger and some sausages - all of which were excellent. The burger was one of the best I've eaten (and I've eaten a lot). I chatted with the chef (from earlier) and he told me that their meat is all local and the burgers were hand made - he was passionate about his food which, in my opinion, is a really good sign.

The staff were all friendly and very helpful - when I paid the bar bill, I got chatting to the barman who was also chatty.

Breakfast was fresh and really nice - the fried breakfast (that I didn't have any of) looked recently cooked (unlike some places) and the staff (same from the bar from the previous night) were still friendly and chatty.

I can't find fault with the hotel at all and it's one of the nicest I've stayed at in a while.

I'd go back if it wasn't so far from where I live or usually work!

• Liked — Everything (including free wifi)
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2008

We have just spent New Years Eve at Gatton
Manor. The room we stayed in was teriffic. Tea/coffe making facilities, Exceptionally comfortable bedding, plenty of room and a modern spotless bathroom. All the staff bent ovewr backwards to do that little bit extra for us with a very warm welcoming & friendly atmosphere.

The food was excellent. We had lunch in the bar and breakfast. The food was freshly cooked, of very high standard and again nothing was too much trouble.

The food at the New Year's ve buffet was outstanding. It was all home cooked with a vast selection of seafood, cold meats, hot food sweets & cheese. There was a disco which played until 2am and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Liked — The warm friendly attitude of the staff & the food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seagullHampshire
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

Having read the last reviews i was concerened about what to find however i needn't have been, the whole stay was fantastic.
Our stay of two days was relaxing and comftable, the new rooms are beautiful, but most of all the atmosphere from staff made Gatton Manor homely which larger hotels do not provide. The food was excellant and if you are a golfer you will find the course challenging and a delight to play.
We will definatly be back!

• Liked — the balcony and view of the golf course
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
mcdodo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

We attented a wedding at the golf club and also had the misfortune of staying the night.

The wedding meal was cold and disorganised, my partner was ignored for about ten minutes until i had to almost walk into the kitchen to arrange there meal. The woman i spoke to was rude and aloaf.

The room we had was small and there were cobwebs b the shower, the kettle didnt work, there were stains on the bedding, it looked like blood and the paint was chiped.

Breakfast was a disgrace and i am sorry to have bothered to stay there, again it was cold and limp, with a poor selection and rude, uninterested staff. The member of the club also stared at us the whole time making us feel uncomfortable, and the staff were more interested in them.

I have never complainted about a hotel before but i would never stay there again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Restaurant staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
bel12, Owner at Gatton Manor, responded to this review, 23 August 2007
My first reaction when I read this review was they must have the wrong hotel! since we took over ownership in 2005 we have never received feedback like this.
Obviously it is difficult to comment on the specifics because this customer is anonymous and at no time during their stay raised any issue. This feedback is in total contradiction to the feedback received by other guests that weekend. We received nothing but praise for everything from the food to our staff.
Clearly something has gone wrong for this guest - I am disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to do anything at the time. If mcdodo reads this please email me direct belinda@gattonmanor.co.uk

Travellers are raving about these Dorking hotels

West Sussex, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2006

Attended a wedding here in October. Service and food were excellent but rooms are in need of an update. Mould on bathroom walls, not very well decorated and shower curtain in need of cleaning. Rooms are comfortable but a good dust wouldn't go amiss.

Restaurant window sills were covered in dust and dead spiders.
However, staff were very friendly and helpful which in some way made up for the shortfall in cleanliness and the need for a lick of paint.

• Liked — Service and food
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank w_barb
bel12, Owner at Gatton Manor, responded to this review, 1 November 2006
We took over ownership of Gatton Manor in 2005. Since then we have been investing significantly to improve both the facilities and service we offer our customers. Consistently we receive feedback to confirm that we are achieving high levels of service and facilities are improving all the time. The golf course is highly rated and our food offering is regularly praised. Refurbishments unfortunately takes time - this year we focused on the bar/restaurant/functions areas. In January 2007 we plan to refurbish all the bedrooms in the manor house. w_barb is right some of the rooms are outdated however we have prided ourselves in high standards of cleanliness. It therefore disappoints me greatly to read of the reviewer's experiences - I wish I had had the opportunity to speak to the reviewer directly on this.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
De Vere Wotton House
#6 of 8 in Dorking
The Running Horses
The Running Horses
#1 of 1 in Mickleham

Been to Gatton Manor? Share your experiences!