Stayed for 4 nights, part business, part family event. A beautiful setting next to a well maintained golf course but golf clearly takes precedence, it's a pity the same attention to detail isn't focused on the hotel.
Over flights from Gatwick Airport are a problem from 6am and the putting green is mown at 7.30 every morning, so if the aircraft don't wake you the mower will.
Signage and lighting are poor so if you arrive in the dark you'll find it difficult to find your way around the hotel and to park and you may as I did, bottom out on the poorly maintained road to the car park at the back of the hotel. Interestingly, the roads used by members are well maintained. Two lightbulbs had gone in my room, the balcony door couldn't be locked after it had been opened, there were no tissues and no fan in a room that was very warm on arrival. From a business perspective, wireless broadband access was problematic throughout my stay and the staff clearly know that this is a recurring problem which neither BT nor the hotel's network service provider have solved. Signal strength in my bedroom, above the router was very poor and when working repeatedly dropped out. The link dropped out again as I was typing this.
I had 3 devices, non of which could connect with any certainty or continuity.
Breakfast was mediocre, limited menu, overipe spoiling fruit left in the fruit bowl, no plain yogurt, no cereal bowls or menus untill asked. The morning after I arrived I overheard the hotels gas safe contractor reporting that he had condemned the kitchen fryer. The staff were helpful and responded positively to matters drawn to their attention but the hotel has a poorly maintained, worn at the edges feel, they should stick to golf, which is clearly the organisation's priority.
The hotel and the restaurant have a poorly maintained, worn at the edges feels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gatton Manor is a 18 bedroom hotel and golf club, set in 200 acres of tranquil woodlands, gardens, rivers and lakes, which form a championship length 18 hole golf course. The house dates back to 1728 and was the original Dowager's House of the Abinger Estate. Standards are high - we are AA 3* rated and our customers frequently comment on the first class food and friendly service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and LateRooms so you can book your Gatton Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gatton Manor Dorking, Surrey
- Gatton Manor Hotel Dorking