“Wasn't all I expected”

Nevis Range Mountain Experience
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Torlundy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: NEVIS RANGE Mountain Experience is in the heart of the Highlands of Scotland, 7 miles north of Fort William. The mountain gondola will transport you to 650m on Aonach Mor where you'll find the Snowgoose restaurant & bar with awesome views, mountain trails, kids play area, and the Mountain discovery Centre (summer only). In the winter, we're open for sledging, skiing and boarding. There's biking for all in Leanachan forest, plus bike wash, bike hire and a skills park. The NEVIS downhill track (with gondola uplift) hosts the Mountian Bike World Cup each year and there's the new red Route opening in summer 2009. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It took 3 attempts to experience this 'Experience'.. The first time it was too windy, the second time we were a bit too late in the day. Luckily we were in the area for a few days, or we would have missed out completely. That's how holidays go... not blaming anyone for that.

The gondola ride is quite smooth and it quite a way up that mountain. My other half is scared of heights - but he was pretty ok with this. Unfortunately the gondola car we were in (and probably all of them) was nearly impossible to see clearly out of - the windows had been scratched and scratched and scratched (graffiti).
This certainly detracts from the 'experience' - in a huge way, actually.
We didn't have a lot of time to wander around at the top - but we could have done a bit more if we'd known what to do. Some tracks were signposted, but there wasn't enough information, I feel. There was really no one around to ask any question of, either. (We weren't the only ones wandering around at a bit of a loss -we spoke to a family group up there too)
I had hoped to see some mountain bikers hurtling down the World Cup track - but none on this day. Not much going on at all actually. Nice views of course - but once again I didn't really know what I was looking at. Maybe there was a scenic map on the deck of the restaurant (I didn't go there). There are some walking tracks we could have gone on if we had had more time and I'm sure that would have been nice.
Big car park at the base of the gondola. Price for the Nevis Range Experience is ok (23 pound for 2 adults). The windows in the gondolas need replacing (or put CCTV cameras in them to catch whoever is scratching the windows).
Not sorry I went up there - It just wasn't quite as good as I hoped.

2  Thank pip2013
There are newer reviews for Nevis Range Mountain Experience

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Thought this was excellent for the price , Really liked the views , Enjoyed seeing the young guys going down on their bikes.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I love skiing so heading up the bubble car in the summer was a bit odd...but it was great fun and the view is spectacular... we went late in the day [it's open until after 6] and you can have several beers whilst the light changes....worth every penny

Reviewed 21 July 2014

visited the Nevis Mountain range, we took a cable car up the mountain and the views were stunning for 3 of us , 2 adults and 1 child cost about £25 but it was well worth it, at the top there is also a lovely restaurant and gift shop.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We almost decided not to do this trip as the weather earlier in the day was awful. We are pleased we did. The trip up and down was smooth and we enjoyed a drink with a view at the restaurant at the top. Views were fantastic!

1  Thank David M