“Excellent service excellent host. I will be back”
Review of Torlundy House B&B

Torlundy House B&B
Ranked #1 of 5 Torlundy B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at Torlundy for five nights to allow me to explore one of my favourite parts of the United Kingdom. Being single, it is often hard to find single rooms without paying an extortionate suppliment, so when I found Torlundy House online at a reasonable cost it had to be done. The online booking experience was very simple and easy to do.

Upon arrival after a long journey from Yorkshire, the host, Michael, greeted me, showed me to my room and offered my a welcome coffee. There is a guest living room and guest dining room in addition to the en suite rooms. In the living room there are two folders - one giving menus for all the local restaurants and one giving ideas on what to do in the area (there is plenty - even in wet weather!). Knowing I was going to do some hill walking, Michael even put the mountain weather forecast on the wall in the reception area.

Torlundy House itself is a few miles outside Fort William, on a quiet estate just off the A82 towards Spean Bridge. It is well signed from the road if coming from Fort William. Unfortunately, this means a drive into Fort William or Spean Bridge for an evening meal, which means a driver cannot drink, but that isn't a particular problem.

The view from Torlundy House of Ben Nevis and the Nevis Range is one of the best you can get. It is also on clear nights much darker than the town lights of home if like me you enjoy stargazing.

The room I was in was a single room, Room 1. It consisted of a walk in cupboard / wardrobe, single bed, two bedside tables, light, bottled water and sweets, Freeview TV, and free WiFi. The en-suite bathroom was a shower, sink and toilet, with toiletries and towels provided. It was very very clean, and deserving of it's four star rating.

Michael is a font of all local knowledge, and will answer any question you have on the local area, and useful for pointing out local hidden gems away from many tourists. He is a very welcoming host and an excellent cook.

Breakfasts are made to order - leave a form in reception each evening stating what you want and what time you want it (7.45am or 8.30am). There is a choice of cereals, brown or white bread, fruit and yoghurt, as well as fruit juice, tea and coffee. You can also have a full Scottish breakfast (I recommend the haggis and the blackpudding), or a healthier option of salmon and egg. Either way the standard of cooking and presentation is second to none.

Apart from the booking reservation fee of £20, the rest of the payment is done on departure. You can pay by most cards, or if like me, you are wanting to get rid of the Scottish banknotes before returning to England, cash payment can be made.

I cannot find a single fault with this bed and breakfast. I have recommended it to all my friends and work colleagues, and next time I am in Lochaber, I most definitely will be staying at Torlundy House.

Thank you Michael for an excellent stay.

Room Tip: On the ratings there is no swimming pool. The fitness centre is the local mountains!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Michael D, Owner at Torlundy House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Kevin1974uk, wow what a comprehensive review, thank you. You covered just about every area and it is pleasing to know we got it right for you. We do our best for all guests to try and help everyone get the best from their stay with us, as we want people to come back, so we are going to look forward to seeing you again.

I am going to agree with you 100% about the dark skies and stars, it is fantastic having no street lighting. You should see it when there is a good moon and snow on the mountains.

See you again one day. Very best wishes, Michael.

There are newer reviews for Torlundy House B&B

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in a few b n b's over the years, I have to say this is one of the very best. We were made to feel very welcome with tea and biscuits on arrival, served in the immaculate lounge area, which Is for the use of the guests. Michael was very friendly and accommodating, informing us of places to eat, with a folder which had menus from various restaurants. The rooms had folder with information on lots of things to do in and around the area.

The rooms were SPOTLESS! Very spacious and had everything that anyone would require for a b n b get away. The view from the room (3) was gorgeous, overlooking Aonach Mor, which we later visited on our mountain gondola trip. With the blackout blind down and not a sound from anywhere we slept amazingly well in a superbly comfortable bed.

Staying two nights we got to try both the full cooked breakfast and the smoked salmon which was on offer, both were presented very well and tasted as good as it looked, with the view of the mountains outside the dining room window, who could ask for breakfast in a better place.

Highly recommend this place and is a place we'll go back to should we ever stay in the area again.

Melissa and Robert

2  Thank Melissa M

Melissa M it was a pleasure having you stay with us and I really pleased that your stay was good for you. We always appreciate it when guests take the time and trouble to place a review here. I have to admit you probably had the best room in the house for the views, they are good. Thanks also for posting some pictures with your review. Hope to see you both again sometime. Best regards Michael

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Michael was a great host, very welcoming and accommodating. The house and room were incredibly clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was amazing. Definitely the place to stay if you're coming to Fort William and we shall be back for more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Michael D, Owner at Torlundy House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Great that you have taken the time to write a review of your stay with us walhash, thank you. I am very happy that you enjoyed your short time with us and we will look forward to your return in the future. There are plenty more mountains and hills up here for you to climb.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a four night stay at Torlundy house. This place is lovely. We were welcomed on arrival by the owner Michael with coffee and cake, then shown to our room, which was spacious, warm, immaculately clean with lovely fluffy towels and complimentary toiletries.
If you've never been to this area of Scotland before there is plenty to see and do and Michael has taken the time to produce folders with ideas for days out and local restaurant menus.
I would recommend this b n b to my friends and family as it has a lovely homely feel to it, and nothing is too much trouble. Torlundy house is a four star b n b, however we loved it and would give it 5 stars.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Owner at Torlundy House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi Sharon and Paul, won't write it all again, please just see my thanks for your review on your other comments below. Michael

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Torlundy house, and can honestly say that this place is brill !!
Michael was our host and he really does make you feel at home. We were welcomed on our arrival with coffee and cake, and then shown our room which was immaculately clean, warm and spacious with lovely fluffy towels, complimentary toiletries and a lovely comfy king size bed.
Nothing is too much trouble for Michael, the pride he takes in his b n b really does show as right through the house is warm and welcoming.
For people who have never been to this area of Scotland before Michael has compiled a folder full of things to see and do on your holiday for you to browse through, and has even taken the time to put together a folder of local restaurant menus.
This b n b is a 4 star, however I think Torlundy house rightfully deserves a 5 star rating

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Sharon and Paul, I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the information useful in helping you get round the area. I have to say it was a pleasure having you stay here and I genuinely look forward to your return one day. Many thanks for telling other people of your experience staying here. It is always good to hear good things especially from guests who have been up this way several times before, nice to know we can offer you something different. Very best regards, Michael.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at Torlundy House for one night on a stop over on the way to Skye and North Uist. What a find! We were given a very friendly welcome and a tray of tea and biscuits on arrival, and left to relax in the very comfortable lounge. Our room was beautifully appointed. Comfortable and spotless. Lots of lovely touches such as the hospitality tray, sweets and toiletries. Good recommendations for eating out. Breakfast was delicious with the accompanying view of a snowy and misty capped Ben Nevis. Michael could not do enough for us. Highly recommended! We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Owner at Torlundy House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

And we look forward to you coming back Catherine I, it was a pleasure having you stay with us, and I know I say that to many guests, but I do mean it if I say it. I am really pleased that you had a memorable stay with us, and I hope that the rest of your break in Scotland was good as well. Thank you for telling others about your stay. Warm regards, Michael.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The best stay of our vacation. Lovely room and bathroom, spacious guest lounge with everything you would need. Quiet location. Excellent breakfast and friendly helpful owner. Absolutely spotless and I mean SPOTLESS. All around excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Owner at Torlundy House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

That is really nice to hear, thank you Jill D. For us to be the best stay of your vacation, and coming all the way from Canada really makes us feel good, especially as I know you stayed in several places while on your holiday. That you have taken the time and trouble to put your views on Tripadvisor is really great. Very best wishes to you, and when you come over the "pond" again please look us up.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torlundy
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
#15 of 21 in Fort William
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#13 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Torlundy House B&B? Share your experiences!