“Not all that it seems...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stoke House

Stoke House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guildford
Stoke House
Ranked #23 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
Dorset
“Not all that it seems...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

First I feel I need to explain the title of this review. The website presentation is great but is very cleverly worded and put together and gives the impression of country cottage style atmosphere (flowers around the door etc) with a modern approach to facilities (light and airy dining room etc)
However, make no mistake, this is a working B+B primarily for workers or those wishing to get up and about early. We were told that breakfast would be served until 8.30 as the kitchen closes at 9.
When, on the 2nd morning, we arrived for breakfast at 8.35 we were greeted with "Oh my God, I forgot about you. I've just washed up". Not a great feeling to say the least.
Also, we weren't actually staying at the address on the website. Stoke House has accommodation situated in 3 different houses so we had to leave our room at 117 in order to get breakfast. Luckily it wasn't raining!
The breakfast - contrary to the web details the only cereal on offer was cornflakes, we weren't given the option of white or brown toast, they only had strawberry jam, and the fruit juice (orange only) was not chilled.
The dining room is now laid out as one big communal table which offers no privacy and feels more like a youth hostel.
Let me just be clear here. I have no problem with staying in places that offer this level of service. My gripe is that this B+B does not present itself as such.
The only positives I can think of was that the manageress was friendly (despite the breakfast greeting), it was cheap (£98 for a twin en-suite for 2 nights), and it was handy for Guildford (10 min walk to town).
I guess you get what you pay for but I think I'm done with experimenting with trying to find quality B+B's. I think I'll pay the extra and book into a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express. Faceless and corporate but at least you know what you'll be getting.
Oh, one last thing - it was nice to have an en-suite but the shower didn't work. I wouldn't stay here again but you have to make up your own mind.
Hopefully this review has been helpful to you. Have a great time wherever you decide to stay.

• Liked — Handy location for town centre
  • Disliked — The obvious difference between 'what you see' and 'what you get'
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business