“Return visit”

Ranked #108 of 313 Restaurants in Guildford
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The cream of Guildford pubs. You'll find The Drummond just outside Guildford Cricket Club, but you won't find another like it. There's always something good on, even if it's just in the culinary sense, so park yourself on one of our old-school bar stools and indulge in a plate of superb seasonal pub food, which you can see being freshly prepared in our open kitchen. Plus we've got more wines, spirits and speciality beers than you can shake a wicket keeper at. Put it this way, we know our Pilsner from our Peroni. Thank you to everyone that takes the time to review us! We appreciate all feedback and look forwards to seeing you again soon or meeting you for the first time.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

I have been coming here for many years with friends when we go to the cricket ground opposite. It has a nice beer garden and by all accounts it does good, but pricey, food. I think it suffers from a dilusion of grandeur in that it is not as good as it tries to make out. On a recent visit it was not particularly busy and I managed to get some beers quite quickly. When I returned I found that two of the four real ales had run out so I, and a number of others had to put up with what remained. I was given a pint and when I went to pay it was over 5 pounds. I refused to pay and walked out. It was apparently a craft beer which is just an excuse to charge what you like. I will not be going there again.

General Manager A, Manager at The Drummond, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Steve R, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around.

I would like to add, that unfortunately we as a pub do not set our prices, this is done centrally. I have spoken to my Bosses and passed along your dismay at the price and experience you had and it is being looked into.

the beer is question was 100% bespoke to our brand and developed but member of our company, but as I say it doesn't explain the very high price.

I do hope that in the future you would find it in yourself to return as we strive to be not only very competitive within the area but also a great pub in general.

hope this goes some way to explaining the situation and we do hope you will give us another chance in the future.

many thanks

Craig and the Team.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Went here while visiting Anderton's Music and ordered the Southern Fried Chicken. It was way juicier, more well-seasoned, and fresh than lots of real Southern fried chicken I've had. Food came out almost immediately and we received very large portions. Would happily eat here again.

Megan,

Its surely a huge an honour to receive such high praise.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave us this information about your recent visit. Take care!

many thanks

Craig and the Team

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Can’t remember the last time I visited The Drummond but guess it was probably in the late 80s when I worked for a couple of years at Woodbridge Meadows across the river foot bridge and therefore convenient for a lunch time tipple (acceptable back in the day!). Anyway, it was Guildford Beerfest time and as it’s held on the cricket pitch across the road The Drummond was our obvious pit stop before and after. Not sure if it was a normal Saturday evening in the pub but it was certainly busy both times we dropped in. Interior is modern, bright and spacious plus there’s pavement seating and garden/patio area out back. The large selection of beer on offer means there’s something for all tastes - I stuck to an old favourite - Tribute from the St Austell Brewery as I’m not a lager or craft beer fan - it was well kept and went down a treat!

General Manager A, Manager at The Drummond, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Hi Nnmercman, thank you so much for your positive comments about The Drummond!

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your visit
I will share with the team, as I know they will be very happy you like the pub

Hope we see you again sometime in the near future

Many thanks

Craig & the team

Reviewed 14 June 2018

We visited last weekend and when the sun is out the garden is a great space for enjoying a few beers. It had a really nice buzz about the place and the staff were lovely - I also think the beer selection is the best in Guildford.
We hadn't planned on eating here, but had a good seat in the sun and we're glad we did, the food was amazing!

General Manager A, Manager at The Drummond, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2018

Ianmerricks, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at The Drummond!

It really makes the team feel lovely when they see reviews like this, makes us all smile a bit more!

The team and myself really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your visit
Glad you enjoyed the garden and our food

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Craig & the team

Reviewed 13 June 2018

This is a slightly tricky review, as the Drummond is my local pub and we've been going here for at least 5 years to meet friends and have business meetings.

It's a very well kept pub, nice and bright in the day and cozy in the evenings and the effort they have put in with the outdoor area is also good.

However, we have noticed over the last year or so that the food on offer has been getting progressively worse, and last weekend, we finally gave up going, and i thought it was time to write a review.

In the past, the Drummond had a great selection of beers and cider and did great BBQ style food with decent portions. However, although the drink quality has stayed high (apart from losing out favourite Frulli on tap!) the food is now pretty poor. Meals over the last 6 months have included:

1. A Roast dinner for 4, with 2 slices of meat each, barely any gravy (we had to ask for more) and some poor looking vegetables, my parents were not impressed!
2. A burger half the size of the bap and a small pot of chips.
3. A medium-rare steak (My wife ordered this due to the poor previous burger) that was 60% gristle and was mainly inedible.

Last weekend we wanted a bite to eat after a long 5km walk, and i suggested the Drummond (A 2 min walk away) and my wife said 'oh god, i don't want to eat there again after the burger and steak!' so we went to the Stoke and had a pizza.

I'll still go here to meet friends and to have a drink on a sunny day, but no more food at the Drummond i'm afraid until we are sure it'll improve.

4/5 stars for the pub
0/5 stars for the food.

Overall, sadly 2/5 stars, sorry...

General Manager A, Manager at The Drummond, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Gothnak, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around.

I am really sorry you feel that way regarding the food here at The Drummond
My Kitchen manager has been running the kitchen for over a year now and is one of the best I have ever worked with and we pride ourselves on producing great pub food with quality ingredients

We also frequently evolve our beer range, Frulli has been gone for over 4 years, and introduce new and exciting beers from around the world

I am saddened that you have had a poor experience regarding your food here as I am very proud of our menu and kitchen team and would love to talk with you regarding this

If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to discuss

Kind regards