See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We enjoyed a comfortable night at The Albany. It is centrally located and perfect for a central Guildford evening.
It is a pub with rooms. It is a friendly, buzzy pub, which, incidentally, serves great food, with basic but comfortable and clean rooms. The Savoy it is not! A hotel it is not! I feel we got what we paid for, and exactly what I expected. I have seen other reviews and, to be fair to the property, I understand that there has been a change in management. Perhaps we were the beneficiaries of this. There was nothing really that we could complain about.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Albany Inn isn't a bed and breakfast as advertised; it's a sports pub with some rooms upstairs. It's very close to the centre of town, and the room and the bed were large and mostly clean, but that's about all you can say for the place - you don't get breakfast despite what several B&B websites say. "Reception" is the pub bar, so it's only available when the pub is open, and you have to wait to be served. That means you have to put up with the patrons, who are the "yell at the game on telly" type. One of the most obnoxious of these, a chap who stormed around and yelled profanity at the screen and at nearby people whenever anything happened in the game, turned out to be one of the staff - I'm glad I never had to ask him for anything. Wifi is provided free, but it's so slow it's almost useless. The rooms have clearly been cleaned regularly but not thoroughly; the windows were clean in the middle but had mould in the corners, the bath was clean except at the edges which had scale, and the bathroom mirror was clean but broken. The glasses provided in the room were filthy. The locks on the doors to the building and the room were clearly inadequate for any real security, and the doors and walls didn't keep any sound out. I was woken at midnight on my last night by the sound of several drunken people stamping around and talking loudly in the hallway for about ten minutes. In short, I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else - unless shouting drunkenly at sports on big TVs in pubs is your thing.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Tim B
DaveyH2, Owner at The Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

Thank you for your review and sorry that you had a poor experience. Since your stay in 2102, the nature of the Albany has changed as it is much less of a sports bar now in 2016. Whilst we still have a TV downstairs in the pub that has Sky, we are not promoting football or other team sports. It is much more of a pub for socialising, eating and less rowdy as a consequence. We no longer provide breakfast and are just room only - but the price for the rooms reflect this. The rooms themselves have been updated, cleaned and painted and where there were maintenance issues, we have an ongoing programme to update them.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

You have to be realistic, but for the money relative to the other places in Guildford centre this is a good buy. We found a pub with some rooms where the staff were welcoming, accommodating and friendly. Be prepared to manage your stay; ensure they have your beds, your needs and your phone number; and be positive. The rooms were clean and the facilities adequate for a short stay.
We've enjoyed several stays and none have been perfect, but then we don't expect an ideal for the price. Communication and responsiveness by the staff has been excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Albany in Guildford, claims its kid friendly, well I would dispute that.
Decor itselfs is nice, but the service was almost non-existent at times. Since it's supposed to be gastropub, I would have expected table service but each time we had to go to the bar to get the attention of the waitress as she seemed to prefer to chat with the locals then to take orders for food, give the bill or finally to payment. It wasn't even busy and judging by the food which promptly arrived, I can see why.

Room Tip: Stay away, select another place
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank roberts5667
DaveyH2, Owner at The Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

Dear Roberts5667

Thank you for your review and sorry you had a poor experience in 2012. Since then (it is now 2016), we have changed a lot. We are not only very child-friendly, but also dog-friendly so want to encourage all of the family to come. Sasha and her team work really hard to provide a personalised service so I hope that if you returned today, you would have an altogether different time.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

My wife and I booked the Albany, Guildford, through their website in February, 2011 for two nights.
Their website is hosted by Eviivo.
This review was removed by Eviivo, at the request of the Albany, as being inappropriate.
More on this at the end...

The accommodation is reached by a stair outside the main building.
We were immediately put off by the brown stains on the stair carpet, the stains on the floor and the tiny teeth marks in the soap.
The sheets and towels were clean, and we’d paid, so we stayed.
We had a tasty meal in the pub below, served by very pleasant staff.
By the end of the meal, the band had started, and we left.
We returned some time after ten, knowing that the band stopped at eleven.
They continued after eleven, and then were replaced with loud music till after twelve. The noise died down by about one.
Sleep at last? No. The heating system played the beat from the band all night!
Breakfast is mini cereal packs and a pastry, and is provided in the room.

Returning on Sunday at about five, we found the room tidy, but cleared of all catering facilities except tea bags. Not even any cups to drink the tea from.
The kind bar staff gave us a cup of coffee and said they would replenish the room supplies soon.
We went out for the evening, returning at about eleven.
The pub was closed and the cupboard was still bare, with no-one around to ask about breakfast.
At least it was quiet, for a while. Then the heating system started again.
We’d just got used to that noise when, in the early hours, someone tried to get into our room, trying different keys as well as brute force.
Fortunately, they didn’t get in and disappeared into the morning mist.
We breakfasted on tea then packed our bags.
The pub was still locked up, but as we left, a car arrived, carrying a man with a big bunch of keys. He unlocked the front door, so I followed him in.
I think he said he owned the place. We told him our tale of woe, finally saying we were off to find breakfast.
He asked us if we’d paid, then with a flourish, produced a ten pound note towards our breakfast elsewhere. With that final insult we laughed, took it and left.

I emailed Eviivo, asking why my review, and some others I thought I'd read, had disappeared from the site. Their reply is below. They have not contacted me since.

"Our review system allows properties to flag reviews they consider inappropriate. We then check them and following certain criteria (such as bad language) we will take a decision on whether to reinstate the review or delete it. The review you wrote with subject “Good, popular pub with pleasant staff and poor, neglected accommodation and bad service for guests” has been flagged by The Albany and it’s currently being checked by our team. Please note that this system aims to be fair for both parties, our guest and properties."

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple