“Lively place”

Ranked #19 of 24 Guildford B&B and Inns
Horley, United Kingdom
“Lively place”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had an overnight stay on Saturday, and had a lovely meal in the bar. The rooms were clean and we'll furnished, but the carpets were very dirty and stained that was the only thing that let it down. The staff worked very hard and we're very friendly, worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Recently stayed at the Albany with my girlfriend on a voucher deal. Had a great meal in the restaurant, food was excellent and staff were friendly and attentive. Room was large with a good sized bathroom. Well located near the top of Guildford, perfect for anyone going to Glive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fraser2000
surrey
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here for a night recently and had a mixed experience.

In the pub the meals were good enough quality, but some of the nicest sounding options were unavailable. The food was pretty expensive. The beer was good and the ambience was decent, however the pub toilets were disgusting - one blocked, and no running water in the ladies. The bedrooms weren't great either.

The double bed was two singles pushed up together, the decor was tired and you could hear the music from the pub loudly, as well as every footstep upstairs. At 2:30am it was as if a herd of elephants were stomping around in the room whilst having loud discussions above which wasn't conducive to a relaxing break. I can only assume the people upstairs had been clubbing. I'd recommend requesting the rooms on the top floor to avoid this.

Room Tip: Top floor if you actually want to sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights (my work had booked it on my behalf.)

There are a few rooms (maybe 4 or 5) above a pub. The rooms are accessed by a door next to the pub. Everytime I came back to my room this door was open/ajar. As there is no handle on one side of the door, I guess guests were just leaving it open. Regardless of the reason, there's no security.

My room was big, had 2 beds, a sofa, a TV/DVD, an alcove with a desk & chair, and then a bathroom at the back.

The beds were fine. The carpet was dirty (large stains) and the walls had wear and tear marks & cracks. Nothing major but with such a grubby carpet it made me look at the attention to detail of everything else.

The TV signal was very temperemental. I initially thought it was due to the weather (it had been snowing) but thought it was strange that it worked everytime I banged it. On closer inspection, it was a dangerous old wire that was fraying and in need of repair, that kept coming loose!

They boast free internet and the staff happily give out the password, but it doesn't work. So I ended up spending £20 buying bt openzone passes.

There is a free standing heater in the room. The radiators don't seem to work so the heater is necessary.

The bathroom is freezing cold and in need of decorating and properly cleaning. The plug in the sink is detached from it's chain, the bath plug had hair build-up in it (as plugs get from constant use) and on 1 night of my stay I shut the bathroom door too hard and the bath panel came off!

The rooms are serviced daily but I think all the man does is make the beds. The bath panel was never reattached, and the bath plug stayed disgusting the whole time I was there. On my last night the bed-maker must have cut himself when he left as there was some blood around the door handle. This hadn't been there the whole time otherwise I would have said something.

On the Saturday night I finished work before midnight (unusually early for me) and came back for my room to be full with the sound of really loud music coming from the pub.(I'm not moaning I'm really not a killjoy - I'm just pointing out that if you stay here and intend on getting a good night's sleep over a weekend & you don't enjoy loud music, you'll be upset.)
However the music and general pub noise was NOWHERE NEAR as annoying as the constant banging and "singing" coming from the pipes(I never actually worked out if it was the pipes, I'm just assuming.) I can only describe it as a sound like the noise a child makes when they're pretending a bomb is going to land and this happens every 5-7 minutes between 10:30pm-midnight. After then it becomes less frequent. I ended up watching tv on my laptop (God bless, BT Openzone wifi!) with my headphones on because it really was the most annoying sound. I think I would have forgiven the carpet, the plughole, the coldness and the tv signal to not have had to put up with the weird pipe noises!

The positive points of this place: The staff downstairs are very nice. I did tell the manager about the pipe sounds; he apologised and said he had no idea about this. I believed him until I read other reviews...

They also didn't mind me checking out late. I don't think they'd like me to advertise this fact because I'm sure they do need the rooms back more urgently sometimes, but they were very accommodating with my request to check out late (after midday)

I'm in Guildford again this week and next for work, and I am really hoping the Mandolay is not fully booked this time.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 directly above the pub. Not sure if other rooms have pipework issues aswell.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank drivingmissdazy

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The commute to Guildford each day,
Can be avoided with a nightly stay,
But a room in a pub,
with average grub,
And for 75 pounds! I say!

The "double" was singles, shoved together,
I seemingly lay there forever.
Thinking? 75 pounds,
for tap dripping sounds
Is an unreasonably amount to pay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank raffbone
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

stayed one night . Good value for money,Fab location for town centre. Rooms large ,clean & airy.In summer wonderful terrace at back.Although above busy pub not troubles by noise.Staff friendly and helpful Didn.t eat here but there is this facility that appeared absolutely fine.We had a great time here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at the Albany on a voucher deal with friends as we were seeing a show at GLive in the town centre. We had a fantastic stay! We had dinner in the restaurant before the show which was delicious food. It is pub food, but done very well and very reasonably priced.

The room was spacious, lovely and clean and well presented. The location was ideal for the town centre location. (Bear in mind that as a town centre location, it was a little noisy at night).

No breakfast was provided (this is a pub with accommodation), but we were given a 30% discount voucher for a local eatery and enjoyed a lovely breakfast just a 5minute walk away.

We went back to the pub after the show and enjoyed a few drinks in a lovely bar area and received excellent service both in the restaurant and the bar.

The Albany is essentially a nice pub with rooms available, so don't expect a fancy hotel, but it is a very nice pub and the accommodation is very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple