“Great Choice”
Review of The Albany

The Albany
Ranked #18 of 22 Guildford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great value for money, very good location, clean and beautiful rooms and very helpful assictance. Initially I didn't know what to expect but I 100%recommend it and I would go again. Plus, the pub underneath the B&B is lovely and the food is good as well (a bit expensive though).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank F K

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed for just one night as a stop over, Arrived quite late so went straight to room. staff were friendly and took us to our room which had separate access to the pub,
Room was ok could do with a bit of TLC and a good clean,but bedding was clean,tea & coffee facilities and a mini fridge,The double bed was 2 singles stuck together but were different heights so we rolled together!! The tv was on the wall but the bracket wasn't adjustable so you couldn't watch tv in bed,we ended up at the bottom of the bed to watch it.
Main complaint was the disco downstairs went on until 12:30pm,then you hear tables scraping & clearing up for another hour, we have stayed in many pubs but accommodation is usually away from the noisy areas,
Overall I suppose not bad value for money but stay if you are there for the entertainment downstairs then roll into bed, otherwise stay elsewhere if you want some peace

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coleen3009
DaveyH2, Owner at The Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2016

Dear Colleen
thank you for your review. Since your stay we have applied the tlc you mention with the rooms being painted and an ongoing maintenance programme picking up various issues.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at The Albany on Saturday night; we got a Groupon offer that gave each couple a two-course meal and an en-suite room for £39. We decided to try it and, if the rooms were too bad, we would simply have driven back home. However we decided to stay. Here's why.

There are four rooms upstairs, accessible from outside the ground-floor pub. They reminded me of the rooms I used to live in when flat-sharing with friends. We had room #2, which has a double bed (although it's a zip-lock bed, so two twins pushed together) and a separate single bed. The bedding and the room were both clean although the carpet could have done with a wash and more attention could have been paid to cleaning around the edges of the room. Between the bedroom and the bathroom there was another small room with a dressing table and a mirror (the furniture looked pretty new). The bathroom had a bath with shower attachment (the hot water should come with a warning!) and was almost fully tiled, although the small areas of paint were flaking in places. I would have liked to see the grout being cleaner but it wasn't as bad as in other places I've seen (mostly outside the UK I should say).

You get tea and coffee facilities and a plasma screen as well as an electric heater (not sure why since there's central heating).

We were three couples and all agreed that for £39 per couple it was a great deal, especially since the food in the pub was very good. We ended up spending around £90 per couple including desserts and lots of Prosecco and dessert wine so bearing in mind we also got beds for the night thrown in that's not bad.

I wouldn't choose to stay if it wasn't for the overall deal but for a night here and there it's a great way for everyone to be able to have a drink without worrying about driving back or needing to pay for a taxi (it would have been quite pricey for us given where we live).

One more thing - if you go to bed before the pub closes you will hear the music.

Room Tip: We heard that our room (#2) was quite large compared to the others although our friends said they ba...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had an overnight stay on Saturday, and had a lovely meal in the bar. The rooms were clean and we'll furnished, but the carpets were very dirty and stained that was the only thing that let it down. The staff worked very hard and we're very friendly, worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Recently stayed at the Albany with my girlfriend on a voucher deal. Had a great meal in the restaurant, food was excellent and staff were friendly and attentive. Room was large with a good sized bathroom. Well located near the top of Guildford, perfect for anyone going to Glive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fraser2000
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here for a night recently and had a mixed experience.

In the pub the meals were good enough quality, but some of the nicest sounding options were unavailable. The food was pretty expensive. The beer was good and the ambience was decent, however the pub toilets were disgusting - one blocked, and no running water in the ladies. The bedrooms weren't great either.

The double bed was two singles pushed up together, the decor was tired and you could hear the music from the pub loudly, as well as every footstep upstairs. At 2:30am it was as if a herd of elephants were stomping around in the room whilst having loud discussions above which wasn't conducive to a relaxing break. I can only assume the people upstairs had been clubbing. I'd recommend requesting the rooms on the top floor to avoid this.

Room Tip: Top floor if you actually want to sleep
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights (my work had booked it on my behalf.)

There are a few rooms (maybe 4 or 5) above a pub. The rooms are accessed by a door next to the pub. Everytime I came back to my room this door was open/ajar. As there is no handle on one side of the door, I guess guests were just leaving it open. Regardless of the reason, there's no security.

My room was big, had 2 beds, a sofa, a TV/DVD, an alcove with a desk & chair, and then a bathroom at the back.

The beds were fine. The carpet was dirty (large stains) and the walls had wear and tear marks & cracks. Nothing major but with such a grubby carpet it made me look at the attention to detail of everything else.

The TV signal was very temperemental. I initially thought it was due to the weather (it had been snowing) but thought it was strange that it worked everytime I banged it. On closer inspection, it was a dangerous old wire that was fraying and in need of repair, that kept coming loose!

They boast free internet and the staff happily give out the password, but it doesn't work. So I ended up spending £20 buying bt openzone passes.

There is a free standing heater in the room. The radiators don't seem to work so the heater is necessary.

The bathroom is freezing cold and in need of decorating and properly cleaning. The plug in the sink is detached from it's chain, the bath plug had hair build-up in it (as plugs get from constant use) and on 1 night of my stay I shut the bathroom door too hard and the bath panel came off!

The rooms are serviced daily but I think all the man does is make the beds. The bath panel was never reattached, and the bath plug stayed disgusting the whole time I was there. On my last night the bed-maker must have cut himself when he left as there was some blood around the door handle. This hadn't been there the whole time otherwise I would have said something.

On the Saturday night I finished work before midnight (unusually early for me) and came back for my room to be full with the sound of really loud music coming from the pub.(I'm not moaning I'm really not a killjoy - I'm just pointing out that if you stay here and intend on getting a good night's sleep over a weekend & you don't enjoy loud music, you'll be upset.)
However the music and general pub noise was NOWHERE NEAR as annoying as the constant banging and "singing" coming from the pipes(I never actually worked out if it was the pipes, I'm just assuming.) I can only describe it as a sound like the noise a child makes when they're pretending a bomb is going to land and this happens every 5-7 minutes between 10:30pm-midnight. After then it becomes less frequent. I ended up watching tv on my laptop (God bless, BT Openzone wifi!) with my headphones on because it really was the most annoying sound. I think I would have forgiven the carpet, the plughole, the coldness and the tv signal to not have had to put up with the weird pipe noises!

The positive points of this place: The staff downstairs are very nice. I did tell the manager about the pipe sounds; he apologised and said he had no idea about this. I believed him until I read other reviews...

They also didn't mind me checking out late. I don't think they'd like me to advertise this fact because I'm sure they do need the rooms back more urgently sometimes, but they were very accommodating with my request to check out late (after midday)

I'm in Guildford again this week and next for work, and I am really hoping the Mandolay is not fully booked this time.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 directly above the pub. Not sure if other rooms have pipework issues aswell.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business