“Good value”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Had a pleasant 2 night stay here. staff were very friendly and efficient. Room was clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. Bed a bit hard but ok. Only reason I dropped a point was the lack of free wifi.

Room Tip: Had a ground floor room looking out onto carpark but not noisy at all, cannot speak for any other ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for writing a review. With effect from 1st July Internet access will be free for our Platinum and Gold Priority Club members throughout Holiday Inn worldwide. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Jane Standing, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have visited Guildford off and on for some time now for business and I am always grateful when the company books me into the Holiday Inn, just finished another stay and I was made very welcome by the staff and of course Kishore the restaurant and duty manager not forgetting Kishorn at the bar, although I have been there many times I have also note that the staff treat every one in the same way, its not just because I have been there before.
There is always a nice welcome and the staff can't do enough to help.
one thing I was not happy about was the price of the food and the 10% automatic charge, all round it is a very nice hotel well sited very clean and the staff are great.

Room Tip: if you can go for the double rooms above the pool area, my favorite
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
I was delighted to learn that you recently enjoyed another stay at the hotel. I was so pleased to hear that Kishore and Kishan looked after you during your stay, I have since passed your kind comments on to them. With regards to the additional service charge this is a discretionary charge and can be removed, I apologise if this was not made clear. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Jane Standing, General Manager
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We booked this hotel well in advance to obtain the best price, ie non-refundable, for one room for two nights bed and breakfast. We needed one room with twin beds. We did not seem to be able to secure this option when trying to book on the internet and therefore resorted to booking by phone. The operator advised we make temporary bookings of a twin room and a larger double room with sofa bed. We confirmed just the twin room the following day, but the sofa bed room did not appear to have been cancelled when we rang again to add a second night. I think the web site should be improved to allow confirmatory booking of a twin room in advance. Also, the price per room per night seemed to be a movable feast and kept changing, although the price we eventually paid was the lowest we were quoted. I was encouraged to receive a confirmatory E Mail of our booking the day before we drove down from Manchester.
We were attending a conference at the University of Surrey on the Saturday, and the hotel was very convenient for this - 10 min walk or few mins drive. There was ample parking at the hotel. We liked the fact that the hotel was set back up its own drive. The A3 is very close and very busy, but the bedrooms are situated away from this, and we heard no traffic noise.
On arrival, the receptionist was very pleasant and efficient and we were into the room very quickly. Our room was on the lower floor, with the potential for overhead noise, but this was not a problem. The room was great and the beds were very comfortable. There was a small fridge for use of personal food/drinks etc at no cost - very useful. There are no lifts! You don't appear to be able to dial other rooms on the phones without going through Reception. Mobile phone reception was marginal downstairs.
We weren't very hungry the first evening, but I wasn't very impressed by the menu choices and the prices. My wife really didn't fancy anything on offer so just had soup which was OK. I had the 8oz rump steak which, surprisingly, was very tender and tasty and reasonable value. It was served with chips and a side salad. The service was very slow, which was bad as there were very few people in the restaurant. It also took forever to et the bill. We were very tired and just wanted to crash out in our room!
We had a good night's sleep with just the usual noise in the corridor and door banging from other inconsiderate guests, but not in the middle of the night. The buffet breakfast was very good. Not worth £15 as others have said, but I don't think we paid that in advance. The restaurant was quite small but seemed to cope. Service at breakfast was much better, and the staff were very helpful.
We didn't eat in the hotel on the second night. Sunday breakfast was the same as Saturday and just as good.
We didn't try the leisure facilities, so can't comment on these.
Check-out was noon, which is useful. Again, Reception were pleasant and efficient.
As others have said, the hotel seemed o be populated with young ladies in track-suits, but this wasn't a problem.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay, and If we need to visit Guildford again, we will certainly use this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
I was so sorry to hear you had some difficulty booking the accommodation over the internet, I have since forwarded your comments to the relevant department at our Head Office for their review. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and would consider using us again should you be in the area. We do have rooms on the ground floor so please do request one of these when you book.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Stayed one Saturday night in April as we were attending a family function nearby.

Check in and out was very efficient. Room was extremely comfortable and as it was one with a sofa bed quite large. We booked some time in advance and the price for what we got was very reasonable.

We didn't use the bar or restaurant as we were spending time with relatives at their home.However both facilities look good.

If we are going to be visiting the Guildford area again we will certainly stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and I was delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I booked this hotel because I was attending a 2 day business course there. The location is out of town set back from a very busy main route. apart from a large Tesco store nearby, there is nowhere else to go unless you have a car or get a taxi. The hotel is low rise and much bigger inside than you would expect. The reception, restaurant and bar are all open plan and well lit by the numerous windows. The leisure complex, and business centre particularly are very well laid out, and the business facilities are extensive and very good. The staff at check in were pleasant and efficient and the room I was allocated was quite large and typical for a hotel of this standard and type. There was a comfortable, huge bed but sadly a very lightweight duvet which left me cold despite the aircon/heating which I could not get to make any difference. All in all though, good value at what I paid but I would not have liked to pay the advertised rack rate of £250 which was 4 times my rate.
Breakfast was a ridiculous £15 but you can purchase vouchers at reception for £10.50. which is closer to what it is worth. I had breakfast both mornings and it was adequate but a little limited in comparison to other hotel chains I have stayed at but probably worth the voucher price if you stock up on a few choices but never worth £15 quid, even if you had eaten the lot. Because of the location, I felt obliged to eat in and after seeing the prices of bar food, I was definately giving the more expensive restaurant a miss. Wine prices were also just plain silly at around £25 for the wines you can get over the road at Tesco for a fiver. The bar food choice was limited with a couple of curries, burgers, lasagne etc, and everything seemed to be around £12 or more. The curry on the first night was reasonable but annoyingly presented in a bowl on a large plate where a small amount of rice was covered by the Naan bread I had been given for "only an extra £2" Drink prices were as expected at £4.25 for a pint of Guinness. This place is not going to win any prizes for value.
The bar staff were very pleasant and attentive and as I was one of only a few there, I was well looked after, however you wouldn't want to spend an evening there.
Sadly on the second evening, with little choice, I found myself back in the same place with the same menu and ordered what was lovingly described as steak braised with kidney with tarragon and a shortcrust pastry with vegetables and mash potato. After half an hour, and despite the fact that I was the only one eating, I was astonished at what was presented to me at almost £15 plus a 10%service charge. One tiny round pie that was obviously not made in the kitchen, along with a scoop of mash and a small portion of frozen peas, accompanied by a silly little bowl of gravy arrived. At a fiver I would have felt cheated but it gets worse. Upon entering the pie, there was no evidence of any braised steak or any meat for that matter as it appeared to be full of some sort of mashed vegetable with kidney beans. This was worrying as there was nothing on the menu that resembled that. I gave it back to the waiter and asked for what I had ordered and unbelievably within just a few minutes another identical plate arrived with less potato and peas and a similar unpleasant looking pie. On closer inspection this did contain a miniscule amount of meat and a small piece of kidney. The speed it had arrived suggested a quick resolve via the microwave. As I hadn't eaten and had nowhere else to go, I reluctantly ate it amid numerous apologies from staff. This whole incident completely ruined my stay at this hotel and made me feel very angry so much so that I asked to speak with the duty manager when checking out and explained my discomfort. She understood my annoyance completely and removed the cost of the meal from my bill. I asked her about what I considered was a poor, overpriced menu but apparently they as an individual hotel have no direct control over menu or quality.
Overall the hotel was fine for business and as a short stay but ripping customers off with substandard generic food at extortionate prices just ruins the whole thing.
My thanks to Karen for dealing with my complaint satisfactorily and to the rest of staff for their attention during my stay, but Holiday Inn group needs to look at their menus and start cooking some decent fresh food properly if the don't wish to give guests cause to complain.
One final note. I saw that the hotel is popular with sports groups at weekends. Unfortunately they like to all go to breakfast dressed for rugby or other sports with shorts and t shirts. I felt like I was in Benidorm on holiday but even there some hotels make you get dressed after a day at the beach. The restaurant looked more like a leisure centre but the hotel didn't seem bothered as long as the bookings kept coming in. A simple notice wouldn't go amiss.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We have since spoken by phone and I certainly value your feedback. particularly regarding the food which I have shared with our Head Office. I was delighted to learn that you would have no hesitation in using the hotel again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Wrea Green, UK
Reviewed 12 May 2013

As with all Hoilday Inns (as opposed to Holiday Inn Expresses!) that I've stayed in, service was first class: staff were helpful and attentive. The room was decent sized, with enough space to work as well as to sleep, and the range of pillows is always a nice touch.

Very good car-parking areas and a feeling of security, and seating outside for when the sun shines (which it did for me!)

The location is fine if you're working in Guildford, but you need transport (or time and a penchant for walking!) as the hotel is a mile and a half from the centre and the railway station.

I also had a very good meal in the restaurant: slightly expensive, especially the wine menu, but the food was well-presented and inventive.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
I was delighted to read your recent review and so pleased your enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your constructive feedback which I have since shared with the team. I do hope you will have the opportunity of staying with us again very soon.
Kind regards
Winchester UK
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Rooms absolutely fine although room was route march from reception but very quiet. Arrived on a Sunday and asked if we wanted to book dinner which I did. very strange but the restaurant was closed and had to eat in open lounge area on chairs not designed to eat in---far too low. How come Reception did not know the Restaurant was closed---you can see it from reception! Service intermittent and 2 out of 3 wines not available and they tried to sell us the most expensive until I protested. Variance in type of menu shown--- only had snack menus on display until i asked what was going on. Sypmtomatic of bad restaurant management--- should not happen as they were not even really busy. Breakfast was good---saved money by purchasing previous evening in advance.
Generally needs to sharpen up---was this because it was a Sunday?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your recent review and I am so sorry to hear that your experience could have been better. Holiday Inn operate a system of Eat Anywhere which means you can eat any of the menus in any location in the hotel. The Restaurant menu should have been available in the lounge on the Sunday evening, on occasions the main restaurant is closed when the hotel is very quiet but the staff could have allowed you to eat in the Restaurant if you found the lounge chairs unsuitable. I do hope you will give us another try and please do contact me directly on jane.standing@ihg.com