“Fabulous stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Devon, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Not the most modern rooms, but clean and well furnished, all the amenities. The staff were so helpful,I stayed with a large group of friends and the staff on reception were so fantastic ordering taxis for twenty odd people, checking theatre times. In the bar which is hugely over priced, Chloe the bar person was a star putting up with us moving chairs and tables so that we could all sit together. Whilst Suprasun our delightfully waiter in the dining room was very attentive. Whilst I name but a few the staff could not be faulted. If there is one criticism then it is the extortionate cost of wifi, £16 a day cannot be justified, when every other hotel charges a couple of quid or its free!

The hotel is quite large and was pretty full whilst we were there but really peaceful, slept really well. Would recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Jane S, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Rae V,
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Guildford. The team and I were all so pleased to read your review especially Chloe and Suprasun who you gave a special mention. I will ensure to pass your feedback to our Head Office with regards to the price of internet. As of July, internet access is free to all Elite IHG Rewards Club members and from 2014 will be free to all IHG Rewards club members.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was on a business trip and I spent 3 nights at this hotel. I have to say I was pleased mostly by the staff. The hotel itself is ok and it is good value for money but I do like to stress on the fact that I found very refreshing one of the employees who is Bulgarian (sorry, I cannot seem to remember the name). I had a good ol' chat with the chap about traveling, high-end engineering and I'm always pleased to meet people with broad knowledge who aim higher. I must say it is rare. This is all what makes life interesting and my stay even better. It is not only about your room and your quietness when you travel. It is about WHO you meet and how it impacts your life in general.

Anyway, very pleased with the hotel and with that chap in particular.

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear James S,
Thank you for your 5 star review! I was glad to read you were pleased with the hotel. It is also motivating for members of the team to receive positive feedback about the levels of service that they have delivered. I have shared your feedback with Ivaylo who served you during your stay along with the remainder of the team.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have just had a 3 night stay at this.hotel and loved every second of it. Everything from the free (yes free) parking through to the free milk and home made cookies made this stay so lovely. The reception staff are some of the friendliest and helpful I've ever come across, as were the restaurant guys. Breakfast was very good, as was the meal on our first night (£50 all in for a family of 4, with the kids being 3 courses and the food being excellent, wasn't too bad we think). We ate out on our second and third nights, choosing to bring food back to our room, which wasn't a problem when we asked. The baristas serving the Starbucks need a special mention as the quality of the coffee we had was mindblowing. All in all, a brilliant hotel, perfectly positioned for all those wanting trips to chessington and Thorpe park, or anyone wanting a quality hotel break at anytime....thanks guys.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jane S, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Drewhop,
Thank you for your 5 star review! Your review is definitely one we were all pleased to read. Your kind words and feedback with regards to the team have all been passed on as it is something they can all be proud of.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kings Lynn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Booked this hotel as part of a Chessington world of adventures deal. When we booked in we were greeted by a friendly and helpful member of staff, he gave our children 2 princess activity packs which the kids loved. Once checked in we had a bit of a walk to our room (bit of a pain but got used to it). Once we got to our room we were pleased with the cleanliness and décor. After unpacking we visited the swimming pool which was very welcoming after a long drive, we also made good use of the steam room, sauna plus spa. After the swim the hotel had put on cookies and milk for the kids which was a nice touch. We decided to go out for dinner as the hotel prices were a bit steep, £11.95 for a club sandwich etc. Once back we settled down for the night , the wife and kids fell asleep and I started to watch the TV only to discover how thin the walls and ceiling were. it appeared a herd of elephants had moved in above us. It seemed to settle down around 11ish. Next morning we headed off for breakfast which I have to say was very good, choices from cooked breakfast to continental with fresh fruit with Greek yoghurt as well as make your own pancakes. After reading the free paper we set off to chessington which is not to far away. So in summery this is a great Hotel for families with good amenities friendly staff and a good location for chessington only let down by a bit of noise at night and price of food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Damian D,
Thank you for the time taken to review us on Tripadvisor. Feedback of all kinds in incredibly important to us and as we strive to constantly improve. The positive gives us an opportunity to praise the team and the room to improve areas give us clear direction from a customer’s point of view. Food prices are set centrally by our Head Office however, I will pass your feedback onto them. With regards to noise, I am in the process of reviewing this.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as we were visiting chessington world of adventures. Check in was slow, no platinum quick in area, around 5 people in front. Check in was nice as the children were given activity packs abd invited to have cookies and milk in the bad between 5-8 pm. Once checked in we went to make dinner resignations (check in at 3pm), but informed that they were booked up until 9pm (we have very small children) we did eat from the main menu while sat in the bar, however the children chose the children's Buffett which was at the bottom of the dining area, they had to walk past lots of couples dining, not just my children, but 4 or 5 families who had just checked in sat eating in the bar as the children came and went to the Buffett! The staff all very accommodating though.
Sleeping was bad, the room upstairs was very noisy and you can hear your neighbour ... Our children got to sleep before some adults night time activities started in the room above - all not very nice!!
Breakfast was equally as hectic as the evening meal, not enough space for the residents, however the staff were professional, happy and plesent, despite chaos!
Overall a nice place, book a meal time ahead of check ing in. Ask for a quiet room, lovely for those with children.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Vicky J,
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write a review further to your stay at the hotel.
Glad to hear that overall you had a nice stay despite a few issues. I can offer no excuse only my sincere apologies for the obvious annoyance this caused you. I have noted your comments and passed them onto the relevant departmental managers for their review.
We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Southsea, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Rooms adequate for working and relaxing. Quiet location for sleeping, restaurant fine but bar pricey. Overall a good night's sleep with friendly service. Did not try the pool but colleagues have enjoyed these facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Simon W,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. I'm glad to read you had a good night's sleep with us. With regards to our bar pricing, this is set centrally by our Head Office. I will pass your feedback onto them to review. It's a shame you didn't get a chance to use our pool facilities. I hope you get a chance if you stay with us again.
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

The rooms here are clean and well maintained - although not especially modern...

Be careful of corner rooms that look into each other...

Breakfast is a great buffet and the bar food and service is hard too criticise - but it kind of lacks "atmosphere"...

I really HATE the "security coat hangers" - I mean c'mon... I trust you with my credit card details and looking after me for the night and you don't even trust me with your coat hangers....

Room Tip: Try to avoid a corner room which seem to be overlooked by other corner rooms...