“Very good hotel with extra special staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Guildford

Holiday Inn Guildford
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel with extra special staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I spent two nights at the Holiday Inn and enjoyed my stay so much I will make sure that I use this hotel for future travel to Guildford.

Staff where very helpful and courteous .The hotel is very clean and well serviced with Bar resteraunt and a small health facility with pool.

The food was very good and when I had a slight issue with a meal it was dealt with quickly and professionally . Ed's first night certainly put him to the test.

So a very good choice for business or leisure ....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Grifficx,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you experienced a slight issue with your meal but pleased it was resolved quickly and professionally. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Nick Aristodemou, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Clean with all the facilities expected as a location to bed down for the evening after a function in Guildford. I would use again if needing to stay in the location again. I wouldn't pay full price for the breakfast though!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Kate Williams,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Exceptionally fine stay. Delightful and very comfortable room. Service matching the best I've encountered recently from the front desk to the breakfast room staff each morn. When I asked to print boarding passes for my return to the states, the young woman at the front desk obliged with a smile. I will return with enthusiasm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear RancherRichard,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review following your stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am truly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It is always motivating for all members of the team to receive positive feedback about the levels of service that have been delivered, but even more positive when particular departments have been highlighted. Thank you once again and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here whilst on a course at the university. As mentioned in the review title, the rooms were nice, nothing special compared to something like a Premier Inn or similar, but still quite nice with a sofa, bath and shower to go with a comfy double bed. Some rooms have a sliding door that covers the window which is really good for blocking out the light.

However, for the price you could pay (£225/night full price, though you'd struggle not to find a discount somewhere!) I'd expect a bit more. As I said, the actual rooms aren't too much better than is available at some more budget chains, myself and my colleague also both noticed alot of noise ingressing from other rooms around.

The biggest issue I had was when we went for dinner. 30 mins after ordering we'd had nothing brought to us, when we enquired we were told "there was a technical error and the order never reached the kitchen" (this was after asking one of the bar staff to chase it up). I'm not sure what this technical error was, but surely the member of staff that took the order should've noticed after a bit that we hadn't received any food. The member of staff we'd enquired with chased said she would chase up the order, but nothing seemed to happen.

15 mins later we enquired with another member of staff (Chloe this time) and she managed to chase things up properly as not long after our food came out. However my order was wrong, I mentioned this to the server and said that I'd eat it now unless it was very quick to change, he said it would be very quick however didn't come back with it for another 10 mins! (by which time my colleague had finished her meal!). Chloe popped by and asked where my meal was, I told her what had happened and she immediately offer a free drink to us (big thumbs up to her!). I did eventually get my food and fortunately wasn't charged for it. So big thanks to Chloe for sorting it all out, but thumbs down to the other staff who didn't seem to be able to sort anything out.

When mentioning this to a staff member on checkout, he apologised and asked "is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" - I mentioned that there wasn't really, but he kept telling me about the IHG rewards club. But I'm not sure how this was "making it up" to me, the membership is free anyway! When I then mentioned that perhaps the only thing I would want was free wifi (as I was returning to the same hotel 2 days later), I was then told "well if you achieve gold membership, you get free wi-fi!". I didn't really know what to say!

So, whilst the rooms are fine (though they have thin walls!), the health club looks nice enough (didn't go in though) and the food was good, the service in many places seems a bit shocking, especially for the price you pay! Chloe seemed to be the only person who seemed genuinely concerned - I can only hope the other members of staff follow her lead!

Room Tip: Try and get one with a sliding door on the window. Also try and avoid a room with an interconnecting...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Snarf999,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I can only apologise for the delay you experienced in our restaurant. The way in which it was handled is unacceptable. I would like to invite you to get in contact, so we can discuss the points raised in further detail. My email address is nick.aristodemou@ihg.com or you can call 07736 746513.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times as it's close to work and traditionally I've preferred HI chains. I do actively look not to stay here but Guildford gets booked up quickly!

Big plus, The rooms are clean, reception staff are pleasant and on the face of it, all seems ok... UNLESS, you need a basic service.

Wake - Up calls are hit and miss. On numerous occasions Ive overslept because they had a system error. Every time they say they'll fix it but it still inconsistent. My view, don't offer something you can't implement.

Next thing Food... Again hit and miss, sometimes it's ok other times you wonder how many times they've re- heated it. That's making the HUGE assumption that you get the right meal. one example of a complicated order I put in - ordered roasted banana pancakes off the new menu last week and they didn't even put bananas in the dish. Would also recommend not bothering to ask (as they can't manage it) for dressing on the side, no chips or god forbid the food to be poached like it says on the menu when frying is quicker!!. It's just incompetent, frustrating and results in you becoming Hangry. (Angry through hunger).

Alright place to stay - ONLY if you don't want anything other than a room with no other service.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear AEC1980,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I was very concerned to hear of the problems you have encountered whilst staying at the Holiday Inn in Guildford. I can offer no excuse only my sincere apologies for the obvious annoyance this has caused you. I would like to invite you to get in contact, so we can discuss the points raised in further detail. My email address is nick.aristodemou@ihg.com or you can call 07736 746513.

bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We only stayed one night but found the hotel clean with some nice personal touches like cookies on arrivals! I struggled with the bed a little but think that is me more than the bed as it did have a mattress topper on it. The room was clean and it was really quiet so ideal!

Room Tip: Always phone to get the best deal
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle G, Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear poshpaws77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am glad you found the room ideal and that enjoyed your milk and cookies on arrival! We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights beginning of November, visiting family and legoland. Hotel great. Rooms etc modern and clean, breakfast lovely and Tracy in the resturant was the nicest person Ive met in ages and really looked after us and our children. Will stay here again and fully recommend

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear ruth y,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Guildford. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your very kind comments about Tracy, I know she will be very pleased. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.