“Lovely Hotel”

Angel Posting House and Livery
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Very central hotel on high street,next to train station, restaurants, shops and pubs.Fantastic stay, amazing rooms,friendly accommodating staff,would highly recommend!
Bills restaurant next door serve great food and have the best of staff, Thanks!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Tavira, Portugal
Reviewed 31 July 2013

As a former resident of the Guildford area since 1953, absolutely amazed and disappointed at how the 'Angel Hotel' has fallen behind the times. My 4 night stay in a 'Junior Suite' was not what I expected. The reception was manned by the only person on duty, who duly obliged by taking my case up several flights of stairs to what appeared to be the 'attic' and while opening my room door, answered a call to reception and asked the caller to ring back later as he was with a client!
No mini-bar - just a small bottle of water and a glass, details on the hotel's history, but no menus or useful information on breakfast, services or dining.
Water pressure for the taps abysmal, bath and 'power' shower even worse, with just a trickle of water from each.
When I complained to the German receptionist, he informed me that '" it was old plumbing pipes" and when I said that a pump was obviously needed,he replied that they had tried that but the pumps kept breaking. I requested an early morning paper and was told that "they didn't do this" and was directed to WH Smith in the High Street.
When I asked what time breakfast was served and where, he told me he wasn't sure, as this was provided by the "franchised restaurant - "BILL'S" - within the hotel, despite being told that breakfast was included in the room rate, it was not.
I breakfasted there each morning from a good menu selection, if a bit pricey - £15 for an orange juice and cooked breakfast, but the service and food was good.
The double bed in my room was comfortable, although the room overlooks the adjacent courtyard and I was awoken at 06.00 each morning with the 'empties' being deposited by Bill's staff from the night before and privy to their loud conversations.
The badly stained furniture in my room and the inadequate bathroom facilities, plus the poor, non-existent service led to my poor rating and I will definitely spend my money elsewhere in future.
Alex Polizzi eat your heart out!!
TGT - 31.07.2013.

Room Tip: Don't book a Junior Suite or any rooms on the top floor - or find somewhere else to shower!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TGT53

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Located right in the heart of Guildford, this hotel is full of charm. Given a warm welcome, a lovely room that was really well appointed and ideal for exploring Guildford. A very warm day and night was helped by the provision of a fan in the bedroom to keep cool and the large bath sheets were soft and fluffy. Separate bath and shower was good too. Plenty of hot water as well. No noise heard at night despite being right in the middle of a city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Had a lovely stay in this hotel. I stayed 2 nights. My brother, parents and son stayed one night. Lovely rooms. Huge. Decor slightly tired but the charm made up for this. Shower in my room 219 had awful seal round it. And quite mouldy some of which could have been cleaned off but my concern was in the gap in the sealing which could lead to damp problems. I brought this up with the person on the reception desk so hope he will take this forward.
Ate in Bill's restaurant which was lovely. Good food and customer service. They were very late with our salads but didn't charge us so I went back the next night alone and was well looked after.
This is a good hotel and although it needs some redecoration I think it's quirkiness makes up for it.

I would go again if ever in Guildford.

It was really hot when we arrived and we were provided with a great fan to cool things down.

Room Tip: I was in 219 very good large room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Needed a centrally located hotel in Guilford and I'm not a fan of modern hotels or chains so the Angel looked interesting. Read some reviews and it seemed to have some less favourable ones a few months/years ago but were now much better so instead of booking online I decided to do it over the phone so I could get a feel for customer service. The staff couldn't of been more helpful so I went ahead and booked. When I arrived at the hotel the excellent service continued and did so throughout my stay. My room was very comfortable and clean, the bed was superb, I slept like a baby. Highly recommended

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Having spend many a childhood holiday in Guildford visiting my Grandma when it came to a special family reunion there last weekend I decided to book rooms at the Angel Posting House. Its position on the High Street, its unusual frontage and its historical contribution to the town have always made it somewhere I wished to visit.
I have to say I was not disappointed. The booking and reception process was organised and welcoming and we were able to book the rooms we hoped for.
Of course the interior of the hotel reflected the history of the place, with uneven floors and low doorways but, for me, this added to the charm of the place, I loved the oak panelling and the antique furniture.We booked three suites including a junior suite and all three were well decorated with nice facilities for relaxing.
There were basic tea and coffee making facilities and a couple of bottles of water. These probably did not reflect the cost of the rooms but as we used the coffee bar within the hotel, for us, this was not an issue.
My one complaint was that I used the lovely roll top bath on our first night and the brass shower head then left a staining in the bath which was not cleaned the next day, and we were not provided with freshly laundered towels until we asked for them. Not an issue when staying in a "Travelodge" style room but the room rate should have provided for this small luxury on our special weekend.
Breakfast was not included but we ate at Bills Restaurant which is located within the hotel and were very impressed with the quality of the menu and the service.
I would stay again if I had the money!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the back were nice and quiet. We stayed in Jane Austin and William Pitt and Francis Scu...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Well located for central Guildford town and restaurants. Courteous and helpful reception staff, but they had no record of my booking on the hotel's own website the previous day - just as well I printed the confirmation! The bed linen was clean and bed comfortable, which the chairs weren't. It's basic, no choices in the in-room tea/coffee and no tissues provided. Wi-fi is included. The water flow for the shower is abysmally slow so don't expect a quick freshen up, they really need a water pump if the pressure is that low. There's no restaurant, but you can cut through to the cafe next door, it's menu is like a pretend American diner, probably fine as long as you don't want choice or healthy eating, but don't judge the hotel on that, it's a separate business. Overall the hotel is ok if you're looking for something basic, cheap and cheerful and don't mind that its not actually cheap!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business