Angel Posting House and Livery
Asperion(Guildford)
  • Restaurant
Worplesdon Place(Worplesdon)
View Hotel
All reviewshigh streetbill's restaurantwilliam pitthistoric hoteljunior suitelots of characterexcellent locationfour posterbeautiful roomlovely hotellarge bathroomcentre of townlast weekendthe ground floorsaturday nightcar parkinggood nights sleep
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great location but is it a hotel.? No residents bar, no breakfast included and in fact you have to pay to use 'Bills' which i assume is a franchise of some sort. We popped round the corner to the coffee shop in Angel gate. The room was nice and had great character however the shower didnt work, a point we raised with the Concierge who wasnt unduly concerned...

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Greatwood1
TheAngelManagement, Director at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Angel Hotel and your time you took to write a review online. We value each guest's feedback and use it as a source for improvement and inspiration.

I was pleased to read that you found the location of the hotel to be excellent. Situated right in the middle of the cobbled High Street, it is indeed very simple to enter the pedestrian zone and explore the array of shops, restaurants and cafes that Guildford offers, not far from the main business areas, bus- and railway station.

I noted your comments regarding the Food & Beverage options within the hotel. There are two independent restaurants onsite - Bill's and Angel Dining Rooms. Bill's provides all day dining including breakfast, while Angel Dining Rooms offers a more intimate atmosphere especially for dinner. There is a possibility to enjoy drinks at the bar in either of them.

Please accept my apologies for the weaker pressure in the shower and the attitude that you seem to have received from one of our staff. Your feedback has been shared with the Reception team. You may be pleased to know that we will be reviewing the condition of the showers with our maintenance team as part of our upgrade programme.

We hope that this will not deter you from visiting our hotel again and we will have a chance to welcome you in the future. It will also be a pleasure to assist you with bar & restaurant recommendations either within the hotel or in our vicinity.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My stay in Guildfors has been very fine, and the hotel added something to my experience. The hotel is beautiful, in an old building, in a wonderful location, and everything was at a walking distance. I will try to stay there again in the future. The receptionist has not been "warm" neither "frosty", only professional. I had to ask to turn on the heater, and there was no possibility to adjust the temperature; it was ever at the maximum. The bad point is the housekeping; it is erratic and not careful. I had to ask every day (4 days) for my room to be made.

Room Tip: I had the Lord Nelson. Fantastic
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Angel Hotel during your visit to Guildford and your review you posted on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us - especially the location, the rooms and the character of our hotel. I have also noted your neutral comment regarding the reception and we will strive to make our welcome 'warmer' and more personal in the future. As a boutique property, our aim is to connect with each guest and provide a home-like atmosphere, while upholding to a high standard of service and professionalism.

I was concerned about your feedback about our Housekeeping. Please rest assured that your words have been passed on to our team to investigate the issue and to ensure consistent level of service, so that similar situations will be prevented in the future.

We are pleased that in overall you were satisfied with your experience and will be happy to return. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you seek any assistance with reservations in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night as we had a birthday do to attend in Guildford. The room was lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a beautiful old building with lots of character and the location is fantastic. We would definitely stay again. My only critism would be that the website seemed a bit basic, and I couldn't find any information about breakfast, if the hotel did breakfast and how you went about booking this. Having stayed there it looks like guests are expected to use the adjoining Bill's Restaurant for breakfast (we didn't ask anyone as we decided we wouldn't have time for breakfast anyway). This is only a small point, however a little extra information on the website and in the room about the breakfast and general dining facilities would have been useful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have to say this is a hotel of parts. Firstly, the location cannot be bettered - it is slap bang in the middle of Guildford High Street within easy walking distance of everything in the town centre. I have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful - to the point of offering to carry my case ("just ring down when leaving and we'll pop up to carry it for you"). The rooms are huge and are comfortable, though the zip which joins the two beds together is obtrusive, as there is no mattress topper. The decor is nice, but tired - the rooms could do with a little bit of work to bring them up to really A grade. The attached franchised restaurant is pleasant and fairly reasonable, with good, decent food. Although since I leave for the office around 7 and the restaurant doesn't open till 7.30 for hotel residents, I can't really comment on the breakfasts. The real let down is housekeeping, which is erratic. They provided me with hypoallergenic pillows as requested, but when I asked for a sheet on the bed, they provided it neatly folded on top of the duvet. Likewise in the ordinary double bed only one towel is provided, although two were provided in the Junior Suite. My main bugbear, however, is that housekeeping do not seem to like clearing glasses. They took away dirty cups, but never a glass unless I place it in a dirty cup. It is the little things like this which let this place down. It could be a truly amazing, historical gem of a place. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Its location and comfort guarantees that. I would however take earplugs, as the noise from the main street can be obtrusive.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the back and higher up.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Friday night. When we got to the hotel we were met with a very frosty welcome from the receptionist. She was very curt right from the start. No "please" when asking us to pay and no "thank you" when we paid. Also no smile. I was so annoyed with her attitude I felt the need to say something to her. She was extremely rude back and responded with a bad attitude saying things e.g "suit yourself" and never once apologised. I have never had this experience at a hotel before and would not expect this from a 2 star let alone a 4 star. The receptionist is 1st point of call and creates an initial impression. Well even if the rooms are good customer service goes a long way and this not create a good impression for The Angel.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Rachael H
TheAngelManagement, Director at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback via TripAdvisor following your stay at the Angel hotel.

I was genuinely concerned to read about the welcome you experienced during your arrival to the hotel and given the details you shared, on this occasion, unfortunately your experience was below the usual standards, service and quality of guest feedback we strive to maintain.

Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that we have shared your feedback with the team. Our aim is to provide excellent customer service and are truly disappointed that during your stay we did not live up to this promise.

We hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting our hotel again and we would feel privileged to have another chance to demonstrate the high level of hospitality we usually provide.