“Cleanish but very shabby!”
Review of Holroyd Arms

Holroyd Arms
Ranked #16 of 21 Guildford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed here for a conference- thank goodness it was only for 1 night! Luckily I was with a friend as I would not have felt comfortable on my own.This is a local hang out for Construction men, who were fine but if alone i would have felt quite intimidated.They were quite noisy coming in and out banging doors etc. The pub itself was dirty and smelt of chip fat!The room was very basic with no handle on the window as it had broken.The plug socket was hang off the wall and the tv remote was broken.The positives were that the room was clean and the bed linen and towels had obviously just been washed and smelt fresh. The guy working behind the bar and the chef were both very pleasant and helpful. But next time I will pay extra a stay at the Travelodge!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed in this "hotel" for two nights. My dad, my brother and me. We arrived on the first night and it wasn't too bad. No one else was in and we slept ok. But rooms were shabby and dirty. We got up at 7 and went to a business meeting. The second night we arrived late at about 11 as our meeting lasted longer than expected, but we got to our rooms and the noise from the pub was terrible. Then the pub "kicked out" at 12. But a group of people came into the hotel in the next room and had a party. There are thin rubbish walls and a door in between the rooms with no lock or shutter. It is closed because there is a bed against the other side. So it sounded like they were in the same room. They had still not shut up by 2am even after we complained to the landlord twice. Also the pipes are extremely noisy and impossible to sleep next to! And we had to be up at 7 again for a 13 hour meeting!!
We will never be returning as £75 per night is absolutely Apauling!!
Would recommend you don't touch this "hotel" with anybody's barge pole!
Terrible!

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Heatherheronia
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Grime, dust bunnies the size of chestnuts, tired decoration and the worse mattress and pillows ever. room not serviced regularly, Advertised food everyday - sometimes...
Wfi in public areas only. TV remote did not work and staff could not provide one that did.
Friendly staff, cheap beer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Morgannonumber
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Booked by phone. Spoke to landlady Lisa, who was very helpful re; booking.and was certainly friendly and welcoming on my arrival. Pub itself is ok,definately not "spit and sawdust".and drink prices very reasonable. Rooms are in a seperate block behind the pub, and are basic, but clean and comfortable. Would certainly stay here again. 100 times better then the nearby Travelodge!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RussB61
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My wife and i ,and another couple stayed here on the 3rd of november 2012,
On arrival,the pub looks good from the outside,dont be deceived,once inside,its gloomy,a typical locals pub,spit and sawdust.
We were showed to our rooms,which are in an annexe at the back of the pub grounds.We stayed in rooms 4 and 5,there were only 2 towels in our room(no5) and our friends in room 4,had none.No toileteries,and a thick layer of dust everywhere.
The room door had no handle to close it when leaving.
In the morning,we wanted to make coffee,found no sugar in our tin,and our friends had no milk.
My advice,avoid this place ,the charge is £50 per night,if the charge were £20,you would still be paying too much.

Room Tip: Choose another b and b.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank paul g
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Spacious room in an annexe behind a busy, noisy but friendly pub with simple food. Room was a bit tatty with a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe. Bed was comfortable. TV worked but WiFi did not. Decent shower room with decent towels but no toiletries. Electric heating worked well.

Overall, poor value - I am unlikely to return

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Cliffone
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Needing a room at short notice in the Guildford area, I took a chance on the Holroyd Arms, mainly because my phone call was answered in such a friendly and helpful manner. I was made to feel that I would be welcome, and this turned out to be absolutely true. I simply don't recognise the Fawlty Towers described by the two-star visitor as the same place!

Yes, the Holroyd Arms is a pub (the clue is in the name) and yes, the accommodation is in a small block away from the road. The benefit of that was a really good night's sleep on a comfortable bed in a nice, clean room. The pub is indeed lively and noisy, but the atmosphere was in no way "too much"; the owner asked if I would like to have my meal served in the room - but I felt sufficiently at ease in the bar to eat quite happily there and even read my book.

Breakfast was chosen from a wide selection of traditional British options, cooked promptly and perfectly, and served with a smile. In fact, it was smiles all the way, and the staff gave a very positive impression of being a team who would go the extra mile to make guests comfortable. Both food and lodging were extremely good value for the area, and I will not hesitate to stay there again when business takes me that way.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo