“Stay away”

Ranked #18 of 24 Guildford B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Stay away”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We booked this hotel having read the other reviews but only needed a bed for the night, coming in late and not requiring breakfast. Our double room was dire and a health and safety risk. As we entered the building the fire door was held open by a fire extinguisher and on entering the room the catch from the window was lying on the ledge so we would have not been able to open the window in an emergency. So, the bathroom tiles in the shower were covered in mould, the bathroom shelves were rusty and someone was so desperate to escape they'd kicked a hole in the door.

The bed was made up and the room was clean. I had hoped to charge my mobile but decided not to as the socket was loose from the wall.

The rooms are separate from the pub but if I was on my own I would have agreed with Lorna. It is very intimidating for women on their own. Lots of men, lots of swearing, lots of smoking, heaven help the people who live opposite.

We were fortunate that we had the option not to stay. I was given the contact details of the owner Lisa who was not in the building on Saturday night. I spoke to her the next morning when she was quite defensive and said that it was a budget price room so we should not expect luxury. She blamed the cleaner for the state of the room and said that she had not seen it. I pointed out that the room was clean but as the owner she should realise the state of the room. She said that the fire door would have been held open for a couple of minutes despite the fact that we saw it like that for over an hour. I was told that she had had the Holroyd Arms for a year and were on a tight budget but other rooms had been refurbished. I found the conversation quite difficult as Lisa talked over me, was very defensive and did not appear to think my complaint was justified.

Lisa did ask me to send my details to her for a refund but didn't provide me with an email address. I tried both the email addresses on the website and they both bounced back. I telephoned the Holroyd Arms and spoke to Lisa again. She gave me her personal email address and accused me of shouting at her. Her personal email also bounced back.

If we had been given an apology from Lisa about the state of the room, a refund and any level of customer of customer service from Lisa I might give the Holroyd Arms a rating.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Libby W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed here for a conference- thank goodness it was only for 1 night! Luckily I was with a friend as I would not have felt comfortable on my own.This is a local hang out for Construction men, who were fine but if alone i would have felt quite intimidated.They were quite noisy coming in and out banging doors etc. The pub itself was dirty and smelt of chip fat!The room was very basic with no handle on the window as it had broken.The plug socket was hang off the wall and the tv remote was broken.The positives were that the room was clean and the bed linen and towels had obviously just been washed and smelt fresh. The guy working behind the bar and the chef were both very pleasant and helpful. But next time I will pay extra a stay at the Travelodge!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed in this "hotel" for two nights. My dad, my brother and me. We arrived on the first night and it wasn't too bad. No one else was in and we slept ok. But rooms were shabby and dirty. We got up at 7 and went to a business meeting. The second night we arrived late at about 11 as our meeting lasted longer than expected, but we got to our rooms and the noise from the pub was terrible. Then the pub "kicked out" at 12. But a group of people came into the hotel in the next room and had a party. There are thin rubbish walls and a door in between the rooms with no lock or shutter. It is closed because there is a bed against the other side. So it sounded like they were in the same room. They had still not shut up by 2am even after we complained to the landlord twice. Also the pipes are extremely noisy and impossible to sleep next to! And we had to be up at 7 again for a 13 hour meeting!!
We will never be returning as £75 per night is absolutely Apauling!!
Would recommend you don't touch this "hotel" with anybody's barge pole!
Terrible!

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Heatherheronia
Southern England
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Grime, dust bunnies the size of chestnuts, tired decoration and the worse mattress and pillows ever. room not serviced regularly, Advertised food everyday - sometimes...
Wfi in public areas only. TV remote did not work and staff could not provide one that did.
Friendly staff, cheap beer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Morgannonumber
eastbourne
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Booked by phone. Spoke to landlady Lisa, who was very helpful re; booking.and was certainly friendly and welcoming on my arrival. Pub itself is ok,definately not "spit and sawdust".and drink prices very reasonable. Rooms are in a seperate block behind the pub, and are basic, but clean and comfortable. Would certainly stay here again. 100 times better then the nearby Travelodge!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank RussB61
london
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My wife and i ,and another couple stayed here on the 3rd of november 2012,
On arrival,the pub looks good from the outside,dont be deceived,once inside,its gloomy,a typical locals pub,spit and sawdust.
We were showed to our rooms,which are in an annexe at the back of the pub grounds.We stayed in rooms 4 and 5,there were only 2 towels in our room(no5) and our friends in room 4,had none.No toileteries,and a thick layer of dust everywhere.
The room door had no handle to close it when leaving.
In the morning,we wanted to make coffee,found no sugar in our tin,and our friends had no milk.
My advice,avoid this place ,the charge is £50 per night,if the charge were £20,you would still be paying too much.

Room Tip: Choose another b and b.