“A lovely secluded spot” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Little Gables

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guildford
Little Gables
Ranked #2 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
Yeovil
“A lovely secluded spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

My wife and I stayed at Little Gables for two nights on the weekend of 12/13th April.

We stayed in the Boleyn room. The room was spotless as was the en-suite. The owners, Phil & Daphne have clearly invested in quality fixtures and fittings and also very good bedding & towels.

Super welcome & cups of tea in panelled lounge – and nice to have proper milk in a fridge for our early morning cuppas.

Breakfast was delicious – we'd definitely use this B&B again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank F L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I have stayed in this lovely bed and breakfast regularly over the last couple of years and can highly recommend it. It is in a peaceful rural location but with very easy access to Guildord and the surrounding area. In fact it is within walking distance of the Research Park and very convenient for the University.
The owners, Phil and Daphne are friendly people who work hard to make it very comfortable. My room was spacious and well-presented and the surrounding gardens are lovely. It is an enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

We have enjoyed staying at Little Gables, Gilford. This is the quintessential British B&B, and it is close to London and all that London has to offer, but in a beautiful English country setting. Perfect for anyone from the states who wants a relaxing vacation with the excitement offered by London quite close at hand. If this is your first trip from the U.S. to England this is a must to really understand the hospitality of the English (Daphne and Phil, the hosts, are most accommodating) and experience the quiet of the country and the comfort of modern, spotlessly clean, rooms and baths. There is also a very nice pub quite close by where we had a lovely meal. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbuarizona
cheshire, england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Boleyn room and here is our balanced assessment of our stay with Phil & Daphne:

Positive aspects:
6. White Company towels so reasonably thick
7. Nicely cooked cooked breakfast which didn't repeat
8. Fairly remote location so quiet
9. Downstairs lounge with fire
10. Nice view from bedroom (see photo)

Not so positive aspects:
1. Bedroom felt a little cramped (see photos)
2. Cleanliness - cobwebs in the bedroom (see photo), remote control was dirty
3. Curtains made of fairly thin white material so didn't block out any light - could be a problem for light sleepers
4. Kettle for making tea & coffee is stored outside of room
5. No shampoo or tissues provided
6. Shower door didn't fit properly
7. Just a small hanging rail for clothes (see photo)
8. Location of power points in bedroom and length of hairdryer wire means you cannot use mirror on back of door to style hair
9. Bed too soft for our liking
10. Limited local information provided in in-room folder and some of what is provided is old e.g. River Wey activities dated 2011
11. Basic freeview channels only on the TV
12. Limited breakfast choice - what is provided is nice but is limited e.g. 2 juices, 3 cereals and only standard English cooked. Other B&Bs are now providing wider choice of cooked options e.g. crepes, porridge, eggs florentine etc.. Also your cooked choice has to be declared the day before so no last minute change of mind.
13. Remote location so have to travel down a bumpy track which appears to be subject to flytipping - the morning we left someone had dumped rubbish along the track (see photo) but fortunately we just able to drive around it. There are CCTV camera signs along the track so it would seem to not be a one-off
14. Only cash or cheques accepted

Finally, a piece of advice. If you do have any electrical equipment that you require to be left switched on whilst out e.g. charging up a mobile phone do declare this to Phil in advance otherwise he will switch it off. We took a mini cooler to store essential medicine which had to be kept refridgerated and didn't think to mention this as it was on bedside cabinet (see photo) and not hidden away. This was switched off and as such caused us issues which we wouldn't want anyone else to have to experience.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank pooCheshire_England
Selfoss, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed with my wife at Little Gables for three nights. This was our third visit and I hope there are many more to come. All facilities are very good, nice, clean and bright large rooms.
Breakfast is excellent & beautifully prepared.
On top of that Daphne & Phil always make us very welcome, from the moment we step into the house. Litle Gables is one of our favourite B&B in the UK.

Guðmundur Ármann & Birna
Iceland

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GudmundurArmann
philip b, Owner at Little Gables, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Gudmunder and BIrna, it was great to look after you both again and thank you for your very kind comments about Little Gables and especially Daphne's breakfasts.

We love looking after you guys and we know you really like coming to Guildford so it's our good luck that you chose to stay with us as your Guildford base.

Hope to see you both again in the near future.

Philip and Daphne
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

I chose this b&b not because it was listed as number one on tripadvisor (which I didnt actually realise at the time of booking) but for its open field which was my main criteria due to my love for stargazing with a telescope, something I cant do from my London home. My other criteria was of course low light pollution but not too far from the town centre. This was the only b&b in Guildford that met that criteria. It was a delightful bonus that this turned out to be a most lovely setting, quaint interior decor and a delightfully friendly host, Dan, filling in for the absence of his holidaying parents (regular hosts) whom I met on the first day and were also lovely, helpful and friendly - traits that their son, Dan, has successfully inherited!

My room was cosy with a delightful view of the neighbouring fields, horses and apparently other exotic animals but I did not spot them during my stay.

The room's radiator was automatically timed which I think comes off a bit too early in the late evening so I did feel a bit cold. The upstairs shared bathroom at the far end was a handheld shower and tub, no wall mounting. Again, no big deal to me but you might want to know this. The ensuite room has a proper wall mounted shower. I didnt choose this room however because I preferred the more deluxe room with the large window view of the fields and the recliner chair.

Oh that leather recliner chair with footstool was lovely, I spent most of my chilling time in it, in front of the nice LCD TV. However, there were no proper desk and chair to do any writing or laptop work on. There is a dress table but its clustered with the tea making tray set, kettle and TV but no desk chair. I had to use the recliner chair and place my laptop on...well my lap. Not recommended for budding authors intending to write their future best seller here. If you did make an attempt, your intended lively "harry Potter"esque novel would turn into something like "One Foot in the Grave".

The bed was superbly comfortable, well padded pillows and a wonderfully thick quilt that would make an insomniac fall asleep. You will have pleasant dreams every night in this bed.

There is a fridge in the common room where fresh milk for your tea/coffee is kept, so you have to come out of your room to get that and then return it back to the fridge when you have finished poring what you need for your cuppa. The fridge is also handy for storing some edibles such as cheese, bread or refrigerating snacks. There are also complementary water bottles stored in the fridge which was welcome too. However, given the relative seclusion of the location, I think it would have been nice to have a microwave oven in the common room also. Just a feedback idea for the owners. I would have loved there to be one during my stay because not every night I felt up for eating out and I did wish I can just heat up a ready to eat pastry from local Co-op!

Now, I had planned to get into town by foot but the b&b is too awkwardly located to find your way back to at night as the long path leading to Little Gables is not lit and it is a very very long circular route to get to town. There is a shortcut path through the fields but if its a rainy week, its very muddy, and I had to abandon my first attempt as my feet sank into mud upto my socks. So you need boots if you want to attempt to walk through the fields. I ended up taking a cab every day. So this b&b is more recommended for car owners or for those of you who have no problem with catching a cab to and fro, each day.

I think there is a bus stop but you have to walk a kilometre at least to get to it. Plus the last buses from town seem to be a bit too early.

As I said earlier, the regular hosts were on a holiday break but their son, Dan, did a splendid full English breakfast each morning with a perfectly fried egg with dipping york. Smashing.

So in summary, this is a lovely, tranquil b&b, I really enjoyed my stay and was a perfect retreat. It has its little drawbacks but are only specific to what one desires from their stay.

I look forward to coming back here again in a couple of months time with my telescope gear.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with large window view of the fields, a super leather recliner chair with foot stool but...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RunTejRun
philip b, Owner at Little Gables, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Tej, It was great to meet you, if only briefly before we went off on holiday. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Little Gables and that Dan looked after you so well. He is particularly pleased that you enjoyed his fried eggs so much.

We take own board your observations about our location and I must apologise again for showing you the short cut to Guildford when it was unbelievably soggy! Did the trainers dry out? There is an hourly bus service in to Guildford at the bottom of our lane (approximately 6 minutes walk) so guests without their own transport often use this and if you are stuck we will of course always give you a lift.

By the way the bathroom you used next to your room (Aragon) is dedicated to the room i.e. it is not shared with any other room.

Loved the fabulous photos you took of LIttle Gables and really pleased that you were able to get some good hours in the garden with your telescope.

Hope to see you again soon and many thanks for your very thoughtful review.

Regards,

Daphne and PHil
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

My wife and I spent two days at Little Gables while visiting family over the Christmas season. Daphne and Philip made us feel very welcome in their lovely home. The room was spotless with a large shower room en suite and the bed was very comfortable. We had beautiful views over the fields towards Guildford Cathedral. We enjoyed the use of the little sitting room attached to our room. It was a calm haven away from the hubbub of our grandchildren.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
philip b, Owner at Little Gables, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Bob, Many thanks for your very kind comments about your stay at LIttle Gables during the Christmas period. We are very pleased that you and your wife were happy with your room and the other various facilities on offer. As you were visiting family we hardly knew you where here! Anyway it was good that you found your stay with us a pleasing experience and that we provided a haven away from the hubbub when required.
We really enjoyed meeting you both and hope that we can look after you again in the future.

Philip and Daphne