“Business hotel only”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Business hotel only”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My boyfriend booked a two-night stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian hotel in Guildford in November 2013 as a surprise to celebrate our second anniversary. Of course he wanted it to be special but unfortunately it was anything but.

I'm sure this hotel is fine if you are staying in Guildford on business but I would never recommend anyone staying here if they want a romantic break. The first disappointment was to find out on arrival that our package of almost £200 per night didn't include breakfast. Our so-called 'deluxe' room had nothing remotely deluxe about it. It was standard and impersonal - and like another reviewer has pointed out, the lighting is so dingy it was impossible to see to put make-up on properly and made the room quite depressing. We had a frosted glass window which felt claustrophobic. There were tea-making facilities in the room but no biscuits, presumably the idea is to encourage guests to eat the Pringles or Mars bar in the mini-bar, priced at an astounding £3 and almost £4 respectively.

The spa was a bitter disappointment. The pool is a fitness pool, which although it says this on parts of the hotel website, in other parts it is referred to as a pool. I didn't know the significance of the words 'fitness pool' - it is effectively a large bath with contraflow jets so you swim against the water, because basically there isn't enough room to swim properly. We were told we would have to pay £10 each to use the facilities on a Saturday and the payment is to stop the spa becoming too busy. This was despite the fact we were spending £130 between us in the spa on treatments the next day - this just meant we didn't have to pay the £10 on the Sunday. I wouldn't have minded the charge so much if the spa had been any good but it is the smallest and least well-equipped I have ever been in. There are only three facilities, the tiny pool, a sauna and steam room. No jacuzzi and no proper pool meant that £10 felt like we were being ripped off, on top of having to pay for breakfast as an addition to our expensive room - oh and £10 per day parking charges (which we saw afterwards was on the website but was still an unexpected extra cost at the time).

We asked to speak to the hotel manager and the duty manager came to see us. We set out everything we were unhappy with and the additional costs that kept cropping up and he said these things were made clear on the hotel's website. I beg to differ. Additional costs are not found in one place, and the website is very uncustomer-friendly to navigate. The duty manager came back to us to say that we could use the spa for free - by this time it was 5.45pm and there were only two people in there. He also said he would upgrade us to a business room which would put us in a quieter part of the hotel. This room at least had a normal window, although the bath water ran so slowly that we couldn't have a bath.

Then when we went to the spa I couldn't use the pool because the water was so uncomfortably cold. My boyfriend used it but found it cold and one of the two contraflow jets wasn't working. There was so much that we didn't like about this hotel that I wrote a letter of complaint but the reply from Peter Wardley didn't make me feel any better and was less than satisfactory with a lot of justifications. For example, for the temperature of the 'pool' he said that it is heated to 30deg but as it is continually going through a cleaning process with bromine the temperature can go up and down throughout the day. We used the spa once a day, on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, at a different time each time and on none of those occasions was the water warm enough for me to go in and nowhere like 30deg - my boyfriend who will happily brave swimming in a not very warm pool found it uncomfortable but was determined to use it.

Mr Wardley ended his by saying that by way of apology he would offer us a complimentary upgrade of a future booking over the next year. Sadly, nothing would entice me to dream of staying there again. The irony is that on the piece of paper that comes with your door key it says: "Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction for our guests. And we're so committed to it that we guarantee it. If you're not satisfied with something, please let us know during your stay and we'll make it right, or you won't pay for that service. It's that simple. It's guaranteed."

It goes on to say: "There's something about being treated as an individual that makes you feel special. Our ability to deliver genuinely individual service naturally is what makes us unique. It comes from a Yes I can! attitude that means nothing is more important than you."

The Radisson Blu in Guildford spectacularly failed to give us a Yes I can attitude, to make us feel special or to give us anything approaching 100% guest satisfaction.

3 Thank ncval
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give full and constructive feedback on your stay with us. I am truly sorry to hear of the issues experienced and I understand entirely how stressful this must have been for you. I do take all feedback very seriously, and, if we fall short of the very high standards which we normally reach, I investigate to try and avoid errors recurring. I have looked into your own situation and can see that errors were made, which I have taken steps to ensure don’t recur. I am sorry that my apology gesture was not well received.

Peter Wardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel is very classy amazing that it was only £80 which meant within budget for our company budget. Had a stunning dinner in scoff and banter gorgeous rib eye steak with a gravy so succulent and slightly sticky with real meat juices and some stunning real chips. Desert was apple crumble. A beautifully crunchy crumble and go rogues custard. I accidentally handed back my receipt which I needed for expenses claim. Staff member went through all the cash receipts taking them two days to find In order to email through to me. This was above and beyond the call of duty. Have recommended to my colleagues and will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed December 2013
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip.

I am delighted to hear you had a lovely stay with us and found the hotel very classy. I am pleased to hear the food offering was to your liking and we were able to provide a replacement receipt for your expenses claim. I am delighted to hear you are already recommending us to your colleagues and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Excellently located at the top of Guildford's premier shopping street this hotel is ideal for a long weekend. We stayed in a standard room with a Queen bed. Apart from it being slightly smaller than the premium rooms it looked the same as in the photos. We also used the spa and gym and dined in the restaurant. Service was excellent in all areas except the bar where we found the staff inattentive. We have since our stay raised this in feedback to the hotel directly and they have promised to address it. Reception were especially good pointing out places to see that we may have missed. It is unlikely that we will revisit Guildford but if we did we would stay here again and we really recommend it. We will stay at other Radisson Blu Hotels as we really liked the brand standard.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tricia_gilby
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Tricia,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent stay in Surrey and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotels location convenient for walks into the town and your Queen Superior room was comfortable. I am pleased to see you were able to use the other facilities we offer in house and they too were to your liking. We take all feedback given to us on board and share it with the entire hotel to ensure we can learn from past mistakes. I do hope you will revisit Guildford in the future and we look forward to seeing you again.

Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Although the design wasn't really to my personal taste - the bedroom had an awful lot of black on black to the extent where I couldn't actually see where the bin was!- the room was comfortable and the bathroom was especially good. It was a nice bonus to have a separate bath and shower. I normally find hotel baths to be far too narrow and short but I enjoyed having a relaxing soak in this one. The room was also relatively quiet and although it was at the beginning of a long corridor, and we were therefore expecting a lot of noisy traffic going past, the room was actually really quiet and we weren't disturbed. It's in a great location for shopping - only 30 seconds from the main high streets. We stayed overnight for a work function within the hotel which was also run really well- nice food and quick and attentive service. There was a good selection at the self service breakfast the next morning- not a typical greasy fry up but really good quality sausages and bacon and roasted vine tomatoes. Only downside was that we were a bit shocked to find that we had to pay extra for the spa- especially as we had paid nearly £200 for room, parking and breakfast and naively assumed that access to all the hotel facilities would therefore be included. As we wouldn't have been able to use it for long, we didn't stump up the extra £10 each but it would've been nice to have a quick swim and sauna before dinner and it would have made the stay that little bit more special. Checkout the next day took quite a long time as both staff members were tied up with other customers who had an awful lot of questions - it might have been improved if whilst I was waiting given a small gesture from one of the staff members to feel acknowledged. I ended up standing there for 10 minutes, feeling a bit ignored, whilst the two receptionists dealt with one customer each!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel whilst attending your work function.

I am delighted to hear that although the décor was not to your personal taste, you had a comfortable stay and liked having both a shower and bath. I am pleased to hear you found the hotels location convenient for visiting the local retail outlets and the service and food you had were to the high standards we pride ourselves on. Our wet spa area is £10 per person on weekends to ensure that numbers can be kept to a minimum to ensure this area remains a tranquil and relaxing place. I apologise for the wait at check out. We do strive to ensure queues do not build however if a guest needs additional assistance, it is usual practice to offer apologies to guests who are waiting.

I hope to be able to welcome you back on a future visit to Guildford.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is clean, functional and offers good value for money. Apart from its great location it's main asset is its staff who were both friendly and efficient and more importantly helpful.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Kerry,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent spa day and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear the hotel offered everything you needed for a comfortable stay. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Worthing
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the RB for a weekend of Christmas shopping in Guildford. We arrived in separate cars but no problem with free parking in the underground parking. Made very welcome by the staff, particularly Luke who I think was Duty Manager. Luke checked on our well-being arrived time we passed through the lobby.

My wife had a good experience with treatments in the Spa, I went to the bar. My only criticism of the bar/restaurant was that there are too many doors opening directly to the street so plenty of cold drafts.

The room was very nice, clean and well maintained. Food in the restaurant was pretty good and breakfast very good.

We'll be back next November.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your Christmas shopping trip to the area.

I am delighted to hear you had another thoroughly enjoyable stay with us and Luke was particularly helpful and welcoming. I am sorry you found the bar had cold drafts. There are two doors to the terrace; one in the lounge and one in the restaurant which are part of building regulations and fire exits. I am pleased to hear the food offering was to your liking and you’re already planning next year’s visit.

We look forward to seeing you in 2014.

Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel is not easy to find without a satnav or by arriving by taxi. Its at the bottom of a street off the main shopping area. If arriving by car you have to park by the door, check in to get your room key which gives you access to the underground car park. The road leading to the hotel is very narrow, with cars parked both sides. Worth checking out using google's street view so you know what to expect (it doesn't go down the small side road but you can see it). Once you in the car park (go to level 3) you can get a lift straight to your room. You will need your key card to get from the lift to the corridor outside your room.

Having done that my room was fine. Clean and tidy. Everything you expect. The windows don't open as you have aircon, but it would have been nice. No view to speak of. iPod doc on the clock and a bottle of water (nice touch).

Breakfast was good. I liked that I could get 'real' decaff, a vast improvement on the usual brown stuff served in most UK hotels.

Wifi was free. Not fast but good enough.

Very close to lots of places to eat and drink. Also very close to the main shopping area.

Room Tip: AS ever, the higher the better.