“Excellent Hotel.Pleasant Weekend”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel.Pleasant Weekend”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We attended one of our friends Birthday party this weekend and stayed over. Wonderful Hotel. Very professional staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Buffet Food was wonderful. Chicken curry tasted wonderful than many Indian restaurants. Staff were very helpful . The next day Breakfast was bit crowded but understand its sunday. but nice variety and good hot buffet. Only Service was bit slow in gettting us tea and coffee, other than that wonderful stay. will definitly come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Tami,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time with us and found the hotel to be wonderful with very professional staff. I am pleased to hear the buffet was tasty and you particularly liked the chicken curry. Our breakfast buffet was busy on Sunday morning and I am sorry to hear you were impacted by slow service. I am delighted to hear you liked the buffet offering and overall had a wonderful stay.

My team and I hope you will be returning again very soon.

Peter Wardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Herts, England
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very good room. Very clean. Bed large and very comfortable. Bathroom had a bath and a shower cubicle which gives you the option. Fairly regular modern hotel.

However - what a shambles at breakfast. Tea and toast order taken as we were seated. It took 15 minutes to arrive. Breakfast was the usual buffet with some cook to order options. Except for about 20 minutes there wasn't much in the dishes. Sausages and bacon had run out so a queue formed waiting for them. Sauté potatoes also were notable by their absence. So you could have mushrooms, beans and scrambled eggs if you didn't want the others. I waited and lo, the food did arrive. Except not much of it - I got lucky but my wife who was sitting at our table missed out. More waiting for her. It would have been nice it have breakfast together but the hotel clearly didn't want us to.

The food - not great. Cheap beans. Cumberland sausages that were clearly not. Strange tasting bacon. Brown sauce - the cheapest, nastiest I can recall having. If you like vinegar on your brekkie go to this hotel. Scrambled eggs were good though.

Why was it so bad. Poor cooking management? But probably because no one was monitoring the buffet. There was a restaurant manager who buzzed around and looked busy. Bur actually did very little.

For £130 for the night (special discount rate apparently) I feel I was ripped off. If I wanted Travelodge quality I would have booked in there.

Oh, and the wi-fi was free but couldn't handle any complex web pages.

2 Thank Berkoman
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you found the bedroom to be good, clean and supplied with a large comfortable bed and a bathroom with both a bath and shower. I am very sorry to hear your breakfast was impacted by the large number of guests in house who all came down to breakfast around the same time. I have passed your feedback on to my Head Chef and the Food & Beverage Manager to address the shortcomings and ensure this remains an isolated incident. Our Wi-Fi is in the finishing stages of being upgraded to make sure it is as fast as possible at downloading content.

I do hope you will consider returning on a future visit to Guildford and allow us to restore your faith in our brand.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Well this was meant to be a lovely relaxing spa weekend for my partner and myself and it turned out to be very stressful! Firstly we found that there was a £10 charge for the car park. We then got to the check out and we got told wrongly that we hadn't paid for our room when we had, so they tried charging us twice. After this we got told that the spa facilities were an additional £10 per person. Also they con you into giving your email address as your internet access password (which you didn't even need in the end).

We went down to the spa after putting our bags upstairs to find that it was 'fully booked' which I have never experienced before and we got told we were able to use it from 6-8pm before it closed which would have ruined supper plans. If we had gone in and wanted to go back in the morning then we would have had to pay an additional £20. After looking at the facilities also which were very small we decided it was not being ripped off and compromising our time there so we went out. I was gutted with the whole situation!!

My partner found it very difficult to sleep as the bed was very uncomfortable. Our tv didn't work so we had to get someone to come up, which they did sort (thankfully) so I guess one plus. We didn't end up eating in as the menu was very expensive for what they were providing which we were glad we did when it came to breakfast. We went down in the morning to find that were not greeted by a member of staff so we just seated ourselves. I had to ask three times for coffee myself as was never asked, and when it came it was cold and took about 30 minutes to come. The breakfast looked like a great display, however, they were so short staffed that everyone was queuing as they had run out of multiple bits of the cooked breakfast, which was also COLD when we came to eat it!!

Just so disappointed from start to finish, especially when we spent £155 for the pleasure of this terrible experience!! Would never return or recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
1 Thank lauren b
Dear Lauren,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your recent stay with us. Our secure underground car park is £10 per 24 hours, however there is a municipal pay and display car park next to the hotel should guests prefer to use this. The price is advertised on our website as well as on any third party websites we are on. I apologise for the inconvenience caused at the time of checking out with regard to the system not showing your payment. Our wet spa area is £10 per person on weekends to ensure that numbers can be kept to a minimum to ensure this area remains a tranquil and relaxing place. Our spa does become very busy at weekends and guests are advised that if they wish to use the wet spa area facilities it is better to arrive earlier.

Email addresses are obtained as part of the log in process, which is common practice in many hotels. There is an option to tick that no offers or further information is sent and I have received no comments on this as an issue with the hundreds of users. I am sorry to hear your partner found the bed uncomfortable. As I am sure you will understand, mattress firmness is down to individuals preference and we are unable to cater to everyone's likes, however a mattress topper can be placed on top of the mattress which does make it softer. I am pleased to hear a member of our Maintenance Team was able to swiftly rectify the fault with your bedroom television. Our food offering is continually reviewed and the pricing is in line with our local competitors. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the breakfast being busy on one of the mornings. We did experience a high level of occupancy the night before and the majority of our guests arrived for breakfast around the same time. I have spoken to the teams about the level of service and been assured it is an isolated incident.

Thank you again for providing your feedback.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I came to the Radisson Blu for a spa day with my friend as we both needed to relax a little bit, and that is exactly what we did. We were greeted by a very friendly lady in reception who directed us to the spa, we were then greeted by the lovely staff on reception, who showed us round and went though the itenrary for the day. we then relaxed by the pool, and in the relaxation room which was amazing. We then had the morrocan experience, which was great. This was then followed by a facial, and oh my word, it was amazing. Naomi S did mine, and she was fantastic, asked if I had any problem areas, and really worked them for me. Everything about it was so brilliant, and I could not recommend her any more! Just fantastic. We left feeling refreshed and chilled out! If you stay here, make time for the facilities and book in for a treatment if you can!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgie W
Dear Georgie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing The Spa at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your Spa Day.

I am delighted to hear you had a thoroughly relaxing and de-stressing day with us at The Spa. I am pleased to hear all the staff encountered were friendly and you were given a full show around of the facilities we have to offer. I have passed your comments about Naomi S on to her and she was delighted by your feedback. Thank you for your comment about making time to use the facilities whilst staying however our spa can become very busy on weekends, so we do ask guests to book well in advance to avoid disappointment.

My team and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

southend
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for two nights. The staff were efficient and friendly from the moment we stepped through the door. Our room was comfortable and had everything we needed although next time I would request one away from the nearby nightclub as revellers woke us up in the early hours as they left the club. The bed seemed to have a lumpy matress which affected my sleep quality somewhat on both nights. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast in the Scoff and Banter and although particularly busy on the Sunday morning, the staff apologised for any delays and were very attentive ensuring we were well looked after. The hotel is very conveniently located for Guildford centre.

Dear Sue,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us last weekend and found the staff to be efficient and friendly throughout your time in house. I am sorry to hear your stay was impacted by noise from people outside leaving and by the mattress topper being lumpy. I have spoken to my Head Housekeeper about your comments and she will ensure all staff are reminded to shake out the toppers when making the beds to minimise the feathers becoming too grouped. I am pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfasts and I apologise for the buffet being busy on the Sunday morning. I am delighted to hear that during this time the staff were attentive and ensured you were looked after.

My team and I hope you will be returning again soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

A very good staff. Prompt service and efficient systems. Good size room if a bit on the dark side wit a hideous picture on the wall. Comfortable chairs, good size bed. Good size bathroom with separate bath and shower but, as a somewhat disabled person, I would have preferred a non-slip floor in shower. New breakfast system an improvement on the previous one. Main drawback is the noisy slamming of fire-doors until the early hours.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from lift.
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to hear you found the staff well trained and you received prompt service. I am pleased to hear you found the bedrooms to be of a good size with comfortable chairs, good bed and good sized bathroom. Our accessible rooms do offer a wet room bathroom with a large shower area and nonslip floor. I am sorry to hear the bedroom décor was not to your liking and you were impacted by guests slamming the fire doors into the night. I have asked my Maintenance Manager to look at the door closers to see if he can make them quieter and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I am pleased to hear the new breakfast buffet offering was an improvement to your last visit.

My team and I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Shropshire,UK
Reviewed 8 May 2014

In all our years of travelling we have never come across the above combination.
It was a horrible experience. I had booked a deluxe room online. There is no warning on the Radisson website that the room had a window you couldn't see out of at all nor that the window wouldn’t open and there wasn't any warning on check in.
I understand that there are other rooms on the same side of the hotel with frosted glass windows that don’t open. There is a note from the Manager in the room to say it is hotel health & safety policy not to have fully open bedroom windows but not that they don't open at all.
I complained but was told there was no other room available at deluxe standard and I certainly wasn’t going to pay anymore. On reflection we should have tried another hotel but we had deliberately chosen the Radisson as within walking distance of where we were dining out and in any case no other hotels near enough and time was short.
I have written to the CEO of Radisson Hotels as well as the Guildford Environmental office who license the hotel to complain. I do not think anyone should be expected to put up with a room like this and certainly not without prior warning. If you are the slightest bit claustrophobic you wouldn’t be able to stay in this room.
I would have given the hotel a “terrible” but for the fact that the staff were friendly, the hotel is conveniently situated in the centre of Guildford and the breakfast was good. Otherwise, it took 20 minutes for my bath to run, the air conditioning wouldn’t go below 19C and a 330ml bottle of still or sparkling water was £3.50.
As you may gather not happy at all.

Room Tip: On booking check that you have a room with a window you can see out of i.e. not frosted glass and th...
2 Thank luka99
Dear Luka,

I am very sorry to hear you found your stay didn’t meet your expectations. The frosted windows should have been mentioned to you at the time of checking in to the hotel and I will be following this up to ensure it is reiterated to guests. One side of the hotel faces our residential neighbours and a junior school and as part of our building regulations, we were instructed to make all these windows frosted to maintain their privacy. We therefore installed a fresh air system in the hotel and every room is fitted with an individual air conditioning unit which can be set to the guests preference. I apologise for the length of time it took for your bath to fill. Had a member of staff been made aware of this, a Maintenance person would have looked into this for you swiftly. Although our air conditioning units only display the temperature going down to 19 degrees, if the key card remains in the electricity slot, this does cool further. Every bedroom has a complimentary bottle of water on the credenza and additional bottles can be requested.