“Good but nothing special”

Guildford Harbour Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Was booked into the Radisson as part of a 2-night business event.
Staff friendly and efficient, rooms very comfortable and well-appointed.
Evening meal sounded a bit pretentious on the menu but was fine on the plate.

However, breakfast was a big disappointment. Even 'though I was at breakfast by 7:30 - which I'd say was quite early - the sausages, scrambled egg and bacon were only luke-warm, the selection of cold meats/cheeses/breads were very poor indeed, there was hardly any fruit and the were no facilities to prepare your own toast or make your own hot drinks.

For a hotel that's presumably aimed at the business market, I found that a poor start to the day, which was a shame as it let down the rest of the stay which was fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Glyn,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you found the staff friendly and the bedrooms comfortable and well-appointed. I am sorry to hear our breakfast buffet was not to our usually high standards and will be following up your feedback with the team to ascertain why there was a failing. Our breakfast staff serve toast and hot drinks to diners on their arrival to allow guests to plate up their breakfast choice.

I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Guildford Harbour Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

First impression what a lovely hotel! On arrival I was given a key, told where to park and nothing else. On my second afternoon I raced to my room to get ready to go out and was locked out. I returned to reception where I was made to feel like a thief ... I had spent 4 pounds at the bar put I on my room bill and not paid it! I thought you paid as you checked out, nobody said any different, nobody asked for a credit card, I was booked in for several nights, all my colleagues were stood near as I was interrogated about 4 pounds! Absolute humiliation. For that reason alone I will never spend another night here!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank SwanseaSal
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to hear of the issues faced whilst staying with us. If a credit card has not been authorised for extras at the time of checking in to the hotel, payment for any additional services would need to be taken at the time of consumption. I am very sorry that the procedure was not explained fully, this is normal practice for most hotels.

Once again my apologies.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Probably one of the nicest hotel I have stayed in. Reception staff were excellent and very accommodating. All the staff will always say hello when passing you in the hotel. Even the maintenance staff and cleaners would do so. This personal touch makes this place so special. You are made to feel at home!

Excellent breakfast, well worth the money! You Have a buffet which includes everything from full English to exotic fruits you would never normally see in the supermarkets. You can also order a la carte if you prefer at no additional cost.

Rooms are immaculate and the location is spot on at the top of the high street.

I cant recommend this hotel enough!

Well done to the staff that make this such a great place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oliver R

Dear Oliver,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotel to be one of the nicest you have stayed in. Our staff have been recognised and awarded for their customer service and I am pleased to hear this was evident, as we believe in making all guests feel special. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed the breakfast buffet we offer and perhaps tried the Dragon Fruit, which is very popular. Your review has been shared with the team and we hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We attended one of our friends Birthday party this weekend and stayed over. Wonderful Hotel. Very professional staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Buffet Food was wonderful. Chicken curry tasted wonderful than many Indian restaurants. Staff were very helpful . The next day Breakfast was bit crowded but understand its sunday. but nice variety and good hot buffet. Only Service was bit slow in gettting us tea and coffee, other than that wonderful stay. will definitly come back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Tami,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time with us and found the hotel to be wonderful with very professional staff. I am pleased to hear the buffet was tasty and you particularly liked the chicken curry. Our breakfast buffet was busy on Sunday morning and I am sorry to hear you were impacted by slow service. I am delighted to hear you liked the buffet offering and overall had a wonderful stay.

My team and I hope you will be returning again very soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Very good room. Very clean. Bed large and very comfortable. Bathroom had a bath and a shower cubicle which gives you the option. Fairly regular modern hotel.

However - what a shambles at breakfast. Tea and toast order taken as we were seated. It took 15 minutes to arrive. Breakfast was the usual buffet with some cook to order options. Except for about 20 minutes there wasn't much in the dishes. Sausages and bacon had run out so a queue formed waiting for them. Sauté potatoes also were notable by their absence. So you could have mushrooms, beans and scrambled eggs if you didn't want the others. I waited and lo, the food did arrive. Except not much of it - I got lucky but my wife who was sitting at our table missed out. More waiting for her. It would have been nice it have breakfast together but the hotel clearly didn't want us to.

The food - not great. Cheap beans. Cumberland sausages that were clearly not. Strange tasting bacon. Brown sauce - the cheapest, nastiest I can recall having. If you like vinegar on your brekkie go to this hotel. Scrambled eggs were good though.

Why was it so bad. Poor cooking management? But probably because no one was monitoring the buffet. There was a restaurant manager who buzzed around and looked busy. Bur actually did very little.

For £130 for the night (special discount rate apparently) I feel I was ripped off. If I wanted Travelodge quality I would have booked in there.

Oh, and the wi-fi was free but couldn't handle any complex web pages.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Berkoman
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you found the bedroom to be good, clean and supplied with a large comfortable bed and a bathroom with both a bath and shower. I am very sorry to hear your breakfast was impacted by the large number of guests in house who all came down to breakfast around the same time. I have passed your feedback on to my Head Chef and the Food & Beverage Manager to address the shortcomings and ensure this remains an isolated incident. Our Wi-Fi is in the finishing stages of being upgraded to make sure it is as fast as possible at downloading content.

I do hope you will consider returning on a future visit to Guildford and allow us to restore your faith in our brand.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Well this was meant to be a lovely relaxing spa weekend for my partner and myself and it turned out to be very stressful! Firstly we found that there was a £10 charge for the car park. We then got to the check out and we got told wrongly that we hadn't paid for our room when we had, so they tried charging us twice. After this we got told that the spa facilities were an additional £10 per person. Also they con you into giving your email address as your internet access password (which you didn't even need in the end).

We went down to the spa after putting our bags upstairs to find that it was 'fully booked' which I have never experienced before and we got told we were able to use it from 6-8pm before it closed which would have ruined supper plans. If we had gone in and wanted to go back in the morning then we would have had to pay an additional £20. After looking at the facilities also which were very small we decided it was not being ripped off and compromising our time there so we went out. I was gutted with the whole situation!!

My partner found it very difficult to sleep as the bed was very uncomfortable. Our tv didn't work so we had to get someone to come up, which they did sort (thankfully) so I guess one plus. We didn't end up eating in as the menu was very expensive for what they were providing which we were glad we did when it came to breakfast. We went down in the morning to find that were not greeted by a member of staff so we just seated ourselves. I had to ask three times for coffee myself as was never asked, and when it came it was cold and took about 30 minutes to come. The breakfast looked like a great display, however, they were so short staffed that everyone was queuing as they had run out of multiple bits of the cooked breakfast, which was also COLD when we came to eat it!!

Just so disappointed from start to finish, especially when we spent £155 for the pleasure of this terrible experience!! Would never return or recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauren b

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your recent stay with us. Our secure underground car park is £10 per 24 hours, however there is a municipal pay and display car park next to the hotel should guests prefer to use this. The price is advertised on our website as well as on any third party websites we are on. I apologise for the inconvenience caused at the time of checking out with regard to the system not showing your payment. Our wet spa area is £10 per person on weekends to ensure that numbers can be kept to a minimum to ensure this area remains a tranquil and relaxing place. Our spa does become very busy at weekends and guests are advised that if they wish to use the wet spa area facilities it is better to arrive earlier.

Email addresses are obtained as part of the log in process, which is common practice in many hotels. There is an option to tick that no offers or further information is sent and I have received no comments on this as an issue with the hundreds of users. I am sorry to hear your partner found the bed uncomfortable. As I am sure you will understand, mattress firmness is down to individuals preference and we are unable to cater to everyone's likes, however a mattress topper can be placed on top of the mattress which does make it softer. I am pleased to hear a member of our Maintenance Team was able to swiftly rectify the fault with your bedroom television. Our food offering is continually reviewed and the pricing is in line with our local competitors. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the breakfast being busy on one of the mornings. We did experience a high level of occupancy the night before and the majority of our guests arrived for breakfast around the same time. I have spoken to the teams about the level of service and been assured it is an isolated incident.

Thank you again for providing your feedback.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I came to the Radisson Blu for a spa day with my friend as we both needed to relax a little bit, and that is exactly what we did. We were greeted by a very friendly lady in reception who directed us to the spa, we were then greeted by the lovely staff on reception, who showed us round and went though the itenrary for the day. we then relaxed by the pool, and in the relaxation room which was amazing. We then had the morrocan experience, which was great. This was then followed by a facial, and oh my word, it was amazing. Naomi S did mine, and she was fantastic, asked if I had any problem areas, and really worked them for me. Everything about it was so brilliant, and I could not recommend her any more! Just fantastic. We left feeling refreshed and chilled out! If you stay here, make time for the facilities and book in for a treatment if you can!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Georgie W

Dear Georgie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing The Spa at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your Spa Day.

I am delighted to hear you had a thoroughly relaxing and de-stressing day with us at The Spa. I am pleased to hear all the staff encountered were friendly and you were given a full show around of the facilities we have to offer. I have passed your comments about Naomi S on to her and she was delighted by your feedback. Thank you for your comment about making time to use the facilities whilst staying however our spa can become very busy on weekends, so we do ask guests to book well in advance to avoid disappointment.

My team and I hope to welcome you back again soon.