“Wonderful hotel in Guildford”

Guildford Harbour Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Wonderful hotel in Guildford”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our flight crew arrived at Farnborough Airport on June 3rd and TAG Aviation suggested we try the Radisson Blu in the town of Guildford. So we took our hired auto and drove (that is a whole other story!) to the hotel which is almost in the middle of town. Parking was a little inconvenient since the garage is under the hotel, but have seen much worse. Check in was a breeze and the room was surprisingly spacious and also well appointed. We were staying for 5 days and were encouraged by the cleanliness and freshness of our rooms. The rooms were also very quiet and the bed more comfortable than most hotels. Breakfast is the best meal at the hotel with much variety on the buffet. The dinner menu, while interesting, could use a few local favorites. However, there are many good restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. The proximity to local sights, food, and shopping is one of the Radisson's attributes. The 3 Pigeons pub is a great place for lunch or dinner and is a 5 minute walk away. The train station is only a 15 minute walk from the hotel. All in all, it was a lovely stay and the town of Guildford is beautiful. If you have the pleasure of meeting Charlie or Louise at the front desk, you will experience what customer service is supposed to be. They were wonderful to us and took the time to ensure that our needs were being met from check in to check out. Pilots can be picky; the Radisson did not disappoint!

Room Tip: When they say a single bed, that means a single bed. Picture the bed you had when you were 6 years...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank G4Captain
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel whilst in England and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you were recommended to us and found the hotels location convenient for your time in the area. I am sorry to hear you found our secure underground car park inconvenient. I am pleased to hear your room was comfortable and the breakfast buffet was to your liking. We are very fortunate to be located between Guildford’s two train stations and at the top of Guildford’s High Street, within a short walk of the many retail outlets the town has to offer. Thank you for your kind comments about Charlie and Louise, who share Radisson’s passion for delivering excellent levels of customer service. I have personally passed on your feedback and they were delighted to have been of assistance during your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to the area.

Peter Wardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

One of the lifts was broken throughout the entire weekend which meant we spent a lot of time waiting in the lobby to get to and from our room.

The tap in the bathroom was impossible to open/close. I notified reception and asked them to fix it whilst we were out of the room. They did nothing and sent no one best we can tell since the tap was still inoperable when got back to the room.

The following morning we got down to have breakfast at 10am. Everything was gone from the breakfast buffet with many disgruntled customers complaining to wait staff who kept assuring them that more food would be coming.

We were finally led to a table which was completely covered in dirty dishes. Our server asked us to wait a minute whilst they got a tray to clear it. Despite waiting 10 minutes (with a baby) no one came back. We ended up having to clear the table ourselves.

You'd think this litany of incompetence would have ceased at some point but it continued...we had to grab cutlery and plates from an adjoining table and the food, when it did arrive at the bar was such a paltry amount that by the time we queued up and got to the front of the line it had all gone again!

We did manage to grab a few pieces of fish and some fruit but it was a pretty meagre plate between myself, my wife and the baby.

Thankfully around 11am (yes, it took us an hour to get served) a waiter offered to take orders for breakfast since the breakfast bar was closed but it still took us two attempts to refresh his memory before he came out with the correct order.

Very disappointing since the food, when it did come was very good, and the rooms themselves and the Spa in particular were very nice. It just seems that the staff are grossly incompetent and that the hotel itself is very poorly run.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Leon R
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Leon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent stay in the area.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you experienced whilst staying with us. One of our lifts required a new sensor which did take a couple of days to arrive and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I will be following up on your maintenance request with our team and try to ascertain why this was not actioned whilst you were out. We were experiencing a high occupancy level on the night you stayed, with a large number of guests arriving for breakfast at the same time which meant the buffet needed replenishing and this took a little time. The service received was inexcusable and I can assure you the entire team has been spoken with to ensure this is not a repeated incident.

I do hope the issues experienced have not marred your entire stay and that you will consider returning in the future and allowing us the opportunity to restore your faith in our brand.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was a great hotel in Guildford. Parking a bit of a stress as you have to go in first and get a pass but apart from this the staff courteous and the bedroom beautifully appointed. Very quiet and good nights rest. Breakfast a fantastic choice of food and attentive waitress. Great spot for exploring the city

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to Surrey and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotels location convenient for visiting the wonderful historical town of Guildford. Our checking in process allows you to gain access to our car park and once parked, go straight to your room via the lifts with your luggage. I am pleased to hear your bedroom was beautifully appointed and you had a good night’s rest. I am also pleased to hear the breakfast buffet was to your liking and you received the high levels of customer service we pride ourselves on.

My team and I hope to welcome you back on a future visit to Guildford.

UK, London
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My partner and I stayed for one night and this was our first visit. Our room was well appointed and the bed very comfortable. We had a great nights sleep. Check in/out was very easy and Jorge in the morning was exceptionally polite and helpful. The only challenge was parking. Having messed around for about 10mins we were told the hotel parking was 'full' so we just parked in the public car park which as we arrived late (after 9pm) and we're leaving early (before 8am) so it was £1.20. I think overnight in the hotel car park is £12. Lovely hotel just a point to note on car parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Deb,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent trip to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you found your room well-appointed and the bed was comfortable. Thank you for your kind comments about Jorge, which I have personally passed on to him. We do have limited spaces available in our secure underground car park and these are allocated on a first come first served basis. When the car park is full, there is a municipal pay and display car park to the rear of the hotel.

I hope we can welcome you back on a future visit to Guildford.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent this weekend at Radisson Guildford. It was a great stay from check in to check out. Breakfast was amazing, we didnt expect that much rush on sunday morning breakfast , another buffet would have solved the problem. but nevertheless it was wonderful hot and cold buffet. Rooms were clean, all staff very helpful. We enjoyed the Dinner saturday evening aswell. Can stay there just for food. Overall wonderful Experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent trip to Surrey and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear your weekend was great from start to finish and you particularly enjoy the food offering we provide in the hotel. I have spoken to the Breakfast Team about the buffet being busy on Sunday and have been advised that we did have a high occupancy level with guests arriving at a similar time for breakfast.

My team and I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is my fifth stay, on business once again. If anything, this time the hotel was even better: my room was immaculate, staff were friendly, professional, efficient and the bar staff were responsive. I cannot fault this hotel (and have no wish to) and I look forward to my next stay.
From a practical perspective, the hotel is about 20 mins walk from the rail station or 15 mins from the bus station (perhaps 5-10 mins by taxi from the station), it's an easy walk although up hill; it is modern in style and decoration. I've actually never eaten there but the bar is comfortable and popular.

Room Tip: I think there are no "good" views but so far all rooms I have stayed in have been quiet an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear you had your fifth perfect stay with us and are already looking forward to your next visit. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area. I do hope you will try the hotels Scoff & Banter Restaurant or MKB cocktail bar on your next visit, as these are popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Never seen a club carlson hotel with such a small room... though mine was just a night stay.. but u need space in a hotel room.

The staff was good.. very helping and very quick to almost everything.. i felt so welcomed because of staff after almost 12 hours from home to hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Disha,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent trip to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear you felt very welcomed by the staff on your arrival at the hotel, as we strive to make all guests feel special whilst staying with us. Our rooms vary in size, with our smallest rooms being a Superior bedroom however should guests require a larger bedroom, our Deluxe bedrooms offer a larger bed and floor space. Had a member of staff been made aware you were unhappy with the size of your room, a room move would have been arranged for you.

I do hope we can welcome you back on a future visit to Guildford in the future.