“Poor AC & No Clear Windows”

Guildford Harbour Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
San Francisco
“Poor AC & No Clear Windows”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Be warned that if you're coming to this hotel that at least 50% of the rooms don't have clear windows. The local City Council forced the hotel to seal and frost the windows on one side of the building. You get some natural light but essentially you are in a windowless room. I had the added bonus of having a room where the AC wasn't working properly so the air wasn't good. I got another room which was better with a window but AC was still not great. The room got so hot at night that I called down to see if AC could be improved and the best they could do was give me a sheet so I had something lighter than a duvet.

I'm sure the hotel has to be disappointed they had to seal and frost their windows but they need to deal with reality and communicate the situation as part of the reservation process.

1 Thank ken521
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your business trip to Surrey.

I am sorry to hear your stay was marred by some of our bedrooms having frosted windows. The frosted windows had to be installed for building regulations as we oversee residential properties and a school. We therefore installed independently operated air conditioning units in all bedrooms and a fresh air system throughout the hotel to ensure the building flushed with filtered outside air. I believe we have been in contact via email and I hope you will consider my offer and allow us to restore your faith in our brand.

Peter Wardley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Relatively new hotel in Guildford. Nice trendy public areas, including lobby and restaurant. The gym has decent equipment. However, it gets really crowded in the morning. There are two pieces of everything-- treadmills, stationary bikes, rowers, etc. Free weights are sufficient to maintain your workout routine-- not to bulk up or anything. The restaurant had good food-- breakfast and dinner. The service though was definitely hit or miss and tended to be on the slow side.

Room was clean, but the wall was pretty thin. I could hear the person in the room next door coughing all night. One night I got a call from the receptionist to turn down my TV when in fact it was ALREADY down. Might want to consider fixing your wall! Although the bathroom was decent size, the shower was also very small. I am relatively a small person and still couldn't move much. Can't imagine a large person in that shower!

The service at the hotel seemed to be a problem and something they need to work on significantly. There were a couple of staff that was noticeably friendly and efficient. Others? Not so much. A colleague had his sink clogged up. Told a frontdesk person to send someone to fix it. No one showed up until the following day. We asked for a direction to a pub, and were given a completely wrong direction (Guildford is not that big!). If you want to do laundry, you'll have to put your clothes in the laundry bag and then call someone to pick it up! When you travel for business, you don't have time to call someone and do that extra step. A colleague called the service desk or whatever. No one ever came to pick it up. He had to bring it down to the receptionist a day later to make sure it was taken care of. I had a bag of laundry that was not picked up for three days.

There was also confusion with what was included in our room rate. Our travel agent confirmed our rate included breakfast. When we checked in, the hotel said no since their system did not show as such. The check-in staff said he would follow-up. Nothing ever happened. I got my agent to call them and escalate again. The hotel then realized their system did not have correct information. That got fixed. But then when you travel frequently, having to deal with little things like this just frustrate you. You just don't have time for it. And it's really the hotel's job to make sure things are correct. They didn't take initiative to get that fixed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Jack,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent business trip to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear you liked the hotels décor and found our onsite gym well equipped. The gym can become quite busy before and after the office hours however the spa staff can advise when the best times to visit are. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your night being disturbed by audible noise from a neighbouring room and I have asked my Maintenance Manager to look into this. I have circulated your feedback with the entire team to address with their staff accordingly, as we have won awards for the high levels of customer service we provide our guests.

I do hope you will consider returning in the future and allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our brand.

West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times through business and the staff offer a very consistent and professional service. My only 2 gripes about this hotel are there is never a plug near a mirror and usually end up asking for an additional mirror, (which is no problem), and the other is that the food is very rich without any plain vegetables so not a good place to eat if you are on diet! The hotel is in a great location for visiting Guildford situated at the top of the high street and near lots of decent restaurants and bars. The breakfast is consistently good with lots of variety. The rooms are of a good size as is the bathroom.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are the same
Dear Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for continually choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your business trips to Surrey.

I am delighted to hear that the staff have provided a consistently professional service during the many times you have stayed with us. There are plug sockets located by the desk mirror in the bedrooms however, as you say, an additional free standing mirror can be requested from a member of staff. Plain vegetables can be ordered when dining with us, as we strive to cater for all our guests. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the Guildford Radisson for one night last weekend. I needed a good night's rest after a hectic week and before heading into London on the Saturday for a hen party. The Radisson did not disappoint. Having lived in Guildford until recently I'm not sure how it compares with the other hotel options in the town. What I do know however is that the Radisson is a very nice, comfortable place to stay, and very Central (towards the top of the High Street). The rooms are very modern and very comfortable. There is a separate shower and bath, which is a great bonus for elderly guests or anyone with mobility or back issues that make climbing into a bath difficult. I didn't have breakfast - it wasn't included in my rate although it was available for a fee. I got a good last-minute deal too, which was a definite bonus. There is a pool and spa but I didn't have the time to check them out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Aoife,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent overnight stay in the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear the hotel offered you a good night’s rest and did not disappoint. I am pleased to hear the hotels location was convenient for you and you liked having the choice of either a shower or a bath in your bathroom. I do hope you will consider returning to the hotel in the future and have the opportunity to use the wet spa area facilities on that occasion.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Upon checking in I was greeted by a lovely team of people who made me aware of the facilities available to me and signed me up to the carlton club (why not! ey?)

They told me about discounts available in TGI Fridays with the Carlton Club card (Unfortunately this was not the case and did make me look like a doughnut as TGI stopped accepting that card for discounts approximately 1 month before hand due to a change in hands)

Anyways, the hotel was pleasant the facilities were very good especially the spa with the pool, steam room and sauna. I was told I could pay using some vouchers that I had won from work (Capital Bonds) the only issue was that about 6 hours after checking in I was told that the vouchers were not accepted even though Radisson's logo and information were all over the Capital Bonds website.

The Manager had to delve into the issue and investigate further and managed to sort it out in the end but it did put me into a flappy panic and somewhat ruined my relaxing stay.

Kudos to the manager and staff at the hotel and a special mention to Mel as she was amazing and also the spa staff and those behind the bar for the great cocktails. Yes!!! Cocktails in the bar were amazing and well worth checking out so that's my top tip!

Room Tip: It's a HUGE hotel so take your pick lol
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephenCharlie
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to the area.

I am delighted to hear you found the team to be lovely and particularly liked the onsite facilities we have to offer. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused with your Club Carlson benefits. The staff have now been made aware of the changes to the discounts offered with the membership. As explained at the time of staying, we no longer accept Capital Bonds at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotels however we were able to resolve the issue experienced whilst you were staying. I apologise for this having marred your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments about Mel and our bar staff, which I have personally passed on to the team. I am pleased to hear the cocktails were great and you would thoroughly recommend them.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on any future visits to Guildford.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times for business and had consistent quality service. Staff are friendly and professional, it is within walking distance to the Guilford High Street so a few options for eating out, although the Banter and Nosh restaurant is also very good. Hotel room was modern and well appointed. Wifi was sometimes a bit flakey. It pays to book a taxi ahead, which hotel staff are happy to do.

Stayed July 2014
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to hear that we consistently offer you quality service on your visits and you find the staff to be friendly and professional. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area. I have asked my IT team to look into your feedback about the Wi-Fi.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As a special spa day for 3 sisters I thought this would be perfect pamper afternoon sadly it really was quite an average experience. The pool jets were not working, the vapour in the steam room was overpowering and staff, although sweet, gave a pretty average spa experience. Sticky floors, noisy relaxation room, poor booking system made it feel like a staff training day not an holistic experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing The Spa at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your spa day.

I am sorry to hear you did not thoroughly enjoy your day with us and did not experience the usually calm and relaxing atmosphere The Spa offers. Our pool jets are currently undergoing maintenance work however I will ask them to look into the vapour in the steam room, as this should not be overpowering. I have passed your feedback on to the Spa Manager and she will ensure the comments are acted upon.

I do hope you will consider returning to The Spa and allow us to restore your faith in our brand.