“Great Place, warm welcome”
Review of The Barn - CLOSED

The Barn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stopped in for breakfast last Sunday, out for a gentle amble around the Surrey hills on a motorcycle, excellent food, great welcome from the owner, good conversation with other people in the restaurant, A warm friendly welcoming place, been here a lot of time over the last few years, never been disappointed with either the food or the place.

Not sure about the politics of the Lycra clad brigade, but if the obeyed the rules of the road, avoided urinating as and where they feel like it, respected others as they want to be respected then the Surrey hills would be much nicer for everyone, vendettas against the lovely lady who runs the Barn don't help anyone!

There are newer reviews for The Barn

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Despite it being a rainy weekday where the restaurant was not busy, we decided to go to the Barn to have a nice hot lunch. However, although I ordered the vegetarian breakfast which should have consisted of toast, beans, mushrooms, tomatos and veggie sausages... I instead got served a unappetising cheesy vegetable bake, HALF a tomato, two mushrooms, luke-warm baked beans, barely toasted bread and a suprise addition of luke-warm sautéed potatos. Overall a very disappointing experience as when I regularly used to visit, the food was of a much better quality. The people who I was dining with also were disappointed with their meals.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Decided to go here this morning and try one of their breakfasts - yet again! The food is varied and well cooked, the waitress today was an absolute delight, and the owner stopped over to our table for a quick chat. My only complaint was I needed a bigger plate, the platter was just full of breakfast goodies! Despite what others have said, justified or not, give it a try and judge for yourself. I'll be back for a Sunday breakfast again very soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

When I've been there in the past both the food and service has been pretty good and the view is great.

However, the owner's comments on road racing are at best ignorant and at worst mendacious. There are no road races on the A25 except major races such as the London Surrey Classic or the Tour of Britain, when the roads are closed. Grass roots road races, (in East and West Surrey), are run on 3 to 10 mile circuits on quiet, minor roads, and ALL are controlled by commissaires in lead and chase cars, often with assistance from motorcycle marshals from the National Escort Group. The races are slowed or stopped for horses and all circuits must be risk assessed, with signs and marshals required at all junctions, pinch points and other hazards. As the circuits are so short, the worst case scenario for a following driver is being held for 5 miles at around 25 mph. If there is no lead car (with flashing lights) then it is not a road race.

What the proprietor really seems to be mistaking for road races are leisure cyclists on road bikes, either in club groups or with friends, or possibly in "sportive" events. I don't understand why she thinks cyclist negatively affect her business apart from when the A25 is closed, as it was once this year. I used to stop there on rides for a coffee and a cake quite often.

1  Thank Miguel_in_da_rain
Management response:Responded 20 November 2013

you are quite right in saying I am at best ignorant because I had to look up mendacious. Really!! I am of an age where lying is not what I do, ever. As a child I lied constantly to get out of trouble, now I just tell it how it is. In my youth cyclists with drop handle bars were called racers. That is what I see on the roads in West Surrey, cyclists with racing bikes racing!! Forgive me if I have offended you, was not my intent. Racing on roads that are not closed is insane. I have overtaken racing bikes racing on my way to work, from work, to the cash and carry and from it. My worry is that racers are unaware of us drivers, my worry is not to my business although some of my older customers have said they are worried too. My worry is that I will injure of kill someone racing. How will I sleep if I injure another human being, let me tell you I will not. I would never drive again, I would never be able to go to my cafe, my life as I know it will end. Think of the cyclists killed on the roads this week, I will think of the drivers that killed them. Innocent. All

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Went there with our cycling Club back in about April last year and were treated very well. BUT unless it is now under new management, they are totally against cyclists. And has been very vocal on this especially on local Radio. So yes, cycling has impacted on here business. Because she is SO anti cycling, I imagine they don't go there to spend their money. I know our club no longer goes there.

Enjoy

Ratings given on when I visited, and was happy and enjoyed it there, but would not go there now :-(

3  Thank G_ManRekab