“Pies - less legendary, more meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Keystone

The Keystone
Ranked #166 of 282 Restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
London, United Kingdom
“Pies - less legendary, more meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went to The Keystone after reading that their pies were advertised as legendary and had won some sort of accolade. Always good enough reason for me.

The pub itself is nice enough and well situated for Guildford, very near the river. They also have good deals on for food, which is great, and I hear that there's a Scalextric night at some point in the week too.

The food, however, was a little disappointing. I'd normally not expect too much from a deal advertised as 2 pies for £10 and so was so surprised when they were a little disappointing. However, due to their impressive billing I had hoped to be proved wrong. This was not the case.

Nice enough, but not exactly mind-blowing.

• Visited May 2014

Kenn, North Somerset
“Great atmosphere, good food and welcoming new landlord”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Keystone has recently been taken over by the new landlord, Rich, who has brought new ideas, a new menu and great enthusiasm to the pub. Pie night (Thursdays) is extremely well known and well deserved. I had lamb, stilton and cider pie which was excellent. I've also eaten the steak and ale pie - brilliant and on another occasion the game pie - again excellent.

Wednesday night is burger night, and I can really recommend the homemade beef burger. Very tasty and succulent. There are other 'themed nights' throughout the week and the Keystone has gained a reputation for '2 for a tenner'. Excellent value. There is also an a la carte menu, with very interesting dishes to choose from together with a great selection of wines.

Rich has encouraged some local artists to decorate plain white internal doors with their creative artwork and has displayed them inside the pub. They're brill, with amazing talents depicting such things as a montage of Pink Floyd album covers, burlesque dancers and half a skull painted in camouflage colours. These will be auctioned for charity very soon. I understand from one of the artists that a new collection of doors are currently being painted. Well worth a visit to see these quirky pieces of art.

This is a lively pub, with a great atmosphere and a lovely sunny patio at the rear of the pub. I will definitely be revisiting.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Elizabeth J
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Amazing sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Can't recommend the sandwiches enough, pie night on Thursdays is supposed to be good also, although we weren't huge fans of the pie we had (it could just be an off day though, apparently pie night on Thursdays is amazing!)

Visited April 2014
Woking
“Pleasant pub in the middle of Guildford”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

This pub is much smarter inside than you would expect. In the middle of the week, on the two occasions I hasve visited, it was virtually deserted at lunchtime - which means there is no atmosphere but not much waiting either. The food is nothing special but pleasant.There is a very pleasant garden outside which we attempted to use last autumn but we were forced inside by the wasps. I think that is just what happens in September

• Visited January 2014
UK
“Lowd & Rowdy - No Order - Poor food,”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

First time I have been back to here in around 15 years. Used to be called the Cannon.
Friend suggested 2 for tenner pie night but when we ordered at bar informed offer no longer exists.
That's when we were eventually able to order. Waited 15 minutes until the guy taking the order for two girls in front of us had finished chatting to them or chatting them up or whatever he was doing.
We had to actually ask the girls if they had finished so we could order.

Told by the guy taking orders that meals will be far better than the 2 for tenner offer which they no longer do. £5.00 for pie and choice of sides for half price at £1.50 each within certain hours. So usual price £8.00. Pie and side £6.50 on sale nights.
It's plastered all over the menus words to the effect, better food, better choices etc..

Well if it's better now then I hate to think what it was like before.

No separate eating and drinking areas so rowdy youths drunk talking and screaming s..t and left to carry on. In fact when we first walked in the door was confronted by ringing in my ears of youth screaming. Smokers area outside back door which backs on to eating / drinking area so every time someone opens the door to re enter after smoking their fag, you end up with a waft of fags mixed in with your meal, nice.

As for the pie, it wasn't even a pie, it was meat with a small triangle shaped bit of pastry resting on top. No pastry on bottom or sides. The meat was nice but it was luke warm. I had mashed potato which had a hard skin on the outside and was also just warm and the portions were small.

Mentioned to guy regarding portion size, pastry and the fact it wasn't hot and he was not concerned.
Just the attitude we have your cash, it is as it is and tough. Words and vibes to that effect.
We left after eating and went to the kebab shop. Think I will stick to Wetherspoons or Harvester from now on as the difference is night and day.
Will not go back for at least another 15 years if ever and would not recommend unless you go out to get p...ed and want to eat anything edible due to the amount of alcohol you have drunk..

• Visited January 2014