“A Sunday morning I wont forget!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lion Brewery

The Lion Brewery
and 1 more site!
The Lion Brewery
Ranked #24 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
Nether Wallop, United Kingdom
“A Sunday morning I wont forget!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

booked twin room for myself and sisterinlaw waited a long time in a public bar to book in, had to go behind bar to climb very steep and frankly dangerous stairs.No tea or coffee facilities, no bed side cabinet, rooms not that clean, no towels had to ask given very shabby towels the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired.Then the worst happens wake in the morning at 8.05am go down stairs to find the bar entrance padlocked no staff at all fire exit on a door proceed through to the kitchen , a door opposite with automatic lock, proceed outside to smoke and we hear a dog barking next the dog from hell appears large GSD running at us I shout to my sister in law to run, we retreat to the kitchen, my sister in law slips falls on her back hits her head extremely hard on the lower shelving, extremely shaken and feeling nausea,cant weight bear on right foot due to swelling, owner appears in between hoovering the bar he makes us tea and cooks b/fast while wiping his nose and eyes on a tea towel saying he has hay fever ..... there are no signs visible to say there is a dog running loose and if there was a fire you cant get through the bar due to padlocked door, so you are forced to go through kitchen door to be met by the dog. The owner saved us a taxi by taking us to where we had left the car, offered no other reduction the pub is in need of full refurbishment.On arriving home and attending the hospital the injury is torn tissue in ankle area a lump on the top of head pain killers and discomfort for some time all could have been avoided if there was literature to follow, I myself have since being home come out in itchy lumps on my shoulder and back ....... not a place to stay and wouldnt recommend this place at all very expensive and no hospitality soap, shower gel etc really needs to get in 2012 . overall very shabby !!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicky M
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Well what can I say these women had a completely different 'story' on this morning that she told to us!
When booking in yes she may had to wait a short period of time to check in as we are a public house not a hotel and other customers were waiting to be served before she arrived. Unfortunately there is no option of building a staircase onto the side of the pub for guests to use but no one else seems to have a problem of walking behind the bar to walk up the stairs. The stairs are steep but it is an old building but saying that my two year old son seems to manage to run up and down them with no problems. But I can see the stairs as dangerous when you are drunk but then most staircases would be dangerous in this situation!
Tea and coffee is provided and is available from the bar, there is a bedside table in this room so not too sure what she meant by this?
Towels are provided and guests are asked if they require them, which I provided to them and the towels were not 'shabby' as they are new!
The bathroom has a toilet, sink and shower-what more do you need in a bathroom!

We do padlock the bar area because this is our business and some people seem to think it is ok to 'help themselves' to our food and drink without paying for it hence why it is locked like most business owners lock their premises at night!
The fire exit door is exactly for that if there is a fire and as there was no fire it should have not been accessed. When there is a fire the alarm sounds which also alerts our room so we are there to evacuate guests and the dog is trained to go to his kennel but like I said there was no fire so they should never of gone out of this door to have a 'cigarette in a non smoking venue! Yes maybe we should have a sign up but then again this is not a public area.

In the morning when they came down for breakfast they explained to us what had happened but they also stated that the incident was completely her fault, as she shouldn't have gone through that area. They never made any complaints to us with regards to the accommodation or the incident otherwise we would have tried to rectify them.

The pub does not need a 'full refurbishment' I think that is a huge exaggeration it is an old village pub and the accommodation has recently been re-decorated.

Not too sure where she got her ‘itchy lumps’ from but it certainly wasn’t from our accommodation!

As to it being too expensive. I think £29 pppn with breakfast is quite a fair price for what we offer and you can have B&B and an evening meal for £34, and we are fully booked most weeks with a lot of people returning as they like the atmosphere our village pub has to offer with the Live music and other events happening. So we are fully into 2012 and almost fully booked!

It does state on the website that she booked via that we don’t offer soap etc but this is available on request but then at £29 I don’t know what she was expecting!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
nordsjælland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Very helpfull and friendly staff.
rooms where large , we shared a large bathroom with 4 rooms , which did not pose a problem.
Our stay was in a very mild October , so the one brocken window payne in the bathroom didn't cause problems , wouldn't have been nice if it was colder. It would have been nice if there was an extra towel or paper towels in the bathroom for those quick visits to the WC, kept forgetting to take my towel in with me .
I'm used to a good mattress at home, so I found the bed very uncomfortable, The Sheet was layed directly in mattress, no topper of any kind. I found an extra, thin duvet in the cupboard so used that under the sheet , it was a slight help.
several nights there was a band playing until early hours ...directly under our rooms , would not have been good for anyone wanting an early night or with small children.
Traditional english breakfast was ok, as I'm vegetarian they did me scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast.
A good place for a short cheap stop over ,I would not reccomend for a holiday

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Booked through net having filtered for disabled accommodation and phoned to ensure able to cater for my wheel-chair using father and his Coeliac (wheat/gluten intolerant) diet. Arrived in middle of band jamming night in the pub with one barmaid totally overwrought by crowded customers getting annoyed and me having to wait for 20/30 mins to be attended to with my father having to hobble to the near by play park on his own to relieve himself. I was then told we were booked in an upstairs room. This was re-arranged to the downstairs room by evicting the current resident for us to find there was a step up to the room, and a high threshold and two carpeted steps (difficult to see even with slight visual impairment) to the shared toilet and washroom. No facilities in the room other than a bed, light bulb, chest of draws and a TV near the ceiling - no bedside table or tumbler for taking medicines. Needless to say, night time excursions to the toilet were perilous due to the difficult to see steps which were impossible for a wheelchair to negotiate. Breakfast was a lovely mix of a traditional English fry-up, but contained, fried bread and sausages which my father could not eat - obviously the original discussion on the phone regarding diet and the needs of my father had been ignored. Music from the bar was good though, although the smoking area just outside the unlockable window wasn't an asset. Toilet paper in the toilet ran out too. Not a good stay and I would not recommend it to anyone with any additional needs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
When this man booked this room there was no mention of a wheelchair and unfortunately it was not noted that he said he was disabled. But this was quickly resolved and the man was not 'evicted' from his room but moved to another room to accommodate this guest. The gentleman did mention about his fathers diet but when asked he he would like any particular food he said that he would ok with the fried breakfast but without the bread. Not really sure why the gentleman went onto the play park to 'relieve himself as there are 4 perfectly good toilets and one disabled toilet in the pub itself where he was stood.The small step into the bathroom has a long white painted part in front of it to see the step so unless you are totally blind then you should be able to see this. The room has more than just a light bulb in it. We are basic bed and breakfast that is clean and comfortable. Tea and coffee is available from the bar and at £29 a night with breakfast this is very reasonable. Sorry this gentleman did not enjoy his stay and that it was just unfortunate we had a not so good member of staff on that night who has now been dismissed. We have had various other disabled people stay and ones that have been in wheelchairs and that have quite enjoyed their stay in our traditional english pub.

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Sollentuna, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed three nights at the Lion Brewery, and than came back for a fourth night one week later. A nice place with a lot of character of an old English Pub.
++ Very nice landlord.
++ Good Cleaning.
++ Live music several times a month, this could of cource be a problem if you need your good sleep.
+ The breakfast is basic, but OK.
+ The dinner menu is traditional pub food at a good price.
- Shared bathroom.
- Close to the road, with heavy traffic.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tag-kjell
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2005

I stayed at The Lion Brewery for a week and it was excellent. It was basic B&B but it was very clean and tidy and comfortable. The pub had lots to do, big screen TV, pool darts and live music at Weekends. Well worth the money and breakfast was great too!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guildford
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Angel Posting House and Livery
Holroyd Arms
Holroyd Arms
#19 of 25 in Guildford

Been to The Lion Brewery? Share your experiences!