“Ok, but there isn't that much to see within the house”
Review of Hatchlands Park

Hatchlands Park
Ranked #7 of 66 things to do in Guildford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Ok, but there isn't that much to see within the house”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'll preface this by saying that we didn't have the chance to explore the grounds given the heavy rain on the day of our visit, so perhaps my impression of the place would have been better if I'd been able to enjoy a walk there. The house was reasonably interesting and we did very much enjoy the violinist playing in one of the rooms - a nice treat. I wouldn't say there was a huge amount to see though, and we were less than impressed with the café. The floor, tables and chairs needed a good sweep/clean, food/crumbs were everywhere and it was a bit offputting. We were also given just one plate when we ordered the cream tea, and only one little pot of jam when there were two of us - a little stingy.

Guildford, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Beautiful Bluebells”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Hatchlands is a beautiful national trust property. We visited in April when the bluebell wood was in abundance. In fact it was beautiful !! We obtained a map on entry to the park and followed the trail to the childrens play area and then the bluebell woods. There was a trail to follow and find fairies around the woodland which the children loved. The grounds are beautiful to walk around with some cattle. So e beautiful locations for picnics .
The house has an additional charge to view but was not open till the afternoon when we went so was not able to go in. In the courtyard there is a cafe/ toilets.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellent day out”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Another excellent day out at a National Trust property. So much thought and effort has gone into ensuring a top-class visitor experience. A very interesting unexpected initial bonus was a tour of the cellars - If this sounds unlikely I challenge you not to report similarly once you've had this subterranean experience. Not a lot of choice in the small tea-shop but prompt service (excellent baked potatoes) in the interesting surroundings of the former kitchens. And then a very well presented guided tour of the main house (we didn't avail ourselves of the audio guide). Sorry I'm completely out of practice or I might have given a short recital on the chamber organ! Finish off with a stroll through the gardens and parkland.

Buccinasco, Italy
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An impressive collection of keyboard instruments”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I visited the house mainly to see the collection of instruments. It was really impressive to see all of them, used by so famous composers. I was particularly touched by the Broadwood grand piano used by Chopin (my favourite composer) during his concerts in Britain, and especially by the Pleyel one which he actually owned. I wished I had had more time to have a closer look at all the paitings in display in the house.

Weybridge, United Kingdom
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Just Right Now All the New Leaves on the Trees”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

What can you say really this is a National Trust property with a great deal of character. the house and gardens being of equal value and definitely a must visit.