“Filthy dressing rooms”

Guildford Spectrum Leisure Complex
Ranked #18 of 66 things to do in Guildford
More attraction details
Owner description: Spectrum is the most advanced facility of its type in the UK with its extensive array of sport, leisure and entertainment pursuits all under one roof.
Guildford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Filthy dressing rooms”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The opening description is "Spectrum is the most advanced facility of its type in the UK"... replace IS with WAS and it is accurate. Surrey Sports Park puts the Spectrum in its place. While this more of a family "attraction" the state of the changing facilities is a disgrace. I used to work in a pool and we'd be in there every 30 minutes, I didn't see one person clean but did see lots of hairs and even nappies on the floor.
I also agree with Chambers, the chlorine levels were high over the Bank Holiday. Probably due to the high numbers. An advanced facility should be able to deal with this though without adding such levels of chemicals no?

4 Thank MattLeRoss

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Too much chlorine in the pool and Dirty changing rooms”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I went to visit here with my young family as my previous visit was fun. The swim was generally ok but the chlorine burnt our eyes. In my opinion it was way too much in the pool. My daughter was crying about how much her eyes were hurting.

We left before our 1.5hrs swim session. The changing rooms were DISGUSTING it was so dirty I had to stand on the bench to get changed!!! The changing room alone would put me off coming back here!! Horrible!

We decided to take the kids to Wimpy around 15:30pm. They told us its closed and come back at 17:00pm. Ridiculous. I came all the way from Croydon for this rubbish experience!!

3 Thank Chambers23
Guildford
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Sunday Morning Family Swim”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a resident of Guildford have used the Spectrum many times over the years, for taking the kids ice skating, dropping the kids off for kids parties or a few pints with work people on a night out bowling. The Spectrum offers the above and much more and have generally found it to be a pleasant experience. As I am not a lover of swimming I took my baby son to the leisure pool today and had a great time, although some of the items are looking a bit tired with age the set up is still good and the place is very clean. There are plenty of sections for all ages including slides and flumes and wave machine in the leisure pool. There is also a separate shallow childrens pool and a main lane swimming pool plus a separate diving pool. All pools have several life guards on duty who do look like they are paying attention to the swimmers rather than talking or using there mobile phone. We had a good time and under threes do not pay which is a bonus.

1 Thank Beanie1968
Tadworth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Poor Bowling”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Went to Spectrum in Guildford with the family. The pricing seemed fairly normal for this type of activity so that was a positive but the afternoon was spoilt by having to call out the engineer 3 times when the machine dropping the pins onto our lane stopped working and the several times that when the machine did drop the pins onto our lane it didn't drop down all the pins or knocked some of them over when it was trying to set them up.

It's been many years since I have been bowling here and on this performance it will be many years before I return.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great Day Out for the Family”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Visited with my children, our friends and their children during Summer Break. Really enjoyed ourselves and the children had a fab time. For us the best thing about the swimming pool here is that there is something for all ages (which is often not the case). There are 3 flumes, 1 of which is suitable for parents/carers with a child on lap, the wave slides which are great fun (we have kids aged 4, 7, 8 and 12) for all ages (adults included!), 2 jacuzzi baths, splash area for little ones with sprays and bubble floor, tiny slide for toddlers, 2 small slides, and a wave machine in the main pool area which has a sloped entry making it great for little ones/non-swimmers. Changing facilities very clean, family change is great :-)

We also used the bowling alley during our visit which was very quiet (big bonus as we have children with ASD and sensory issues). It was clean ad tidy and there were more than enough bowling balls in the sizes we needed. Only (small) issue here was that bowlers are not allowed to wear their own shoes - this is allowed at the bowling complex in Basingstoke (flat sensible shoes which don't mark the floor) and is a huge bonus for the children in our group who have sensory issues and struggle with wearing footwear they are not used to. Maybe management could consider a change in policy to accommodate those with a disability which affects them in this way?

Purchased drinks at Costa which was very slow and the staff were not polite but I think it's a franchise, not the responsibility of the complex itself.

Didn't make use of the ice rink and kids were worn out... maybe next time :-)

Overall it was a great day out and we'll definitely be back again!

2 Thank Wammy77