“Disappointing”
Review of G Live

G Live
Ranked #11 of 69 things to do in Guildford
More attraction details
Owner description: G Live has been developed as a contemporary state-of-the-art entertainment and concert hall. The light-filled, spacious foyers house the G Live Cafe-Bar which offers bistro-style daytime food and the elegent Mezzanine Restaurant, which offers pre-show dining. Free Wi-Fi is also available throughout the building.G Live aims to set the standard for the finest live entertainment in Surrey with an events programme to suit all tastes. Shows include an exciting mix of West End musicals, live music, ballet. comedy, classical concerts and famous faces.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Saw this in Guildford, Feb 2014. Very little replication of the original style of Fawlty Towers humour, instead a heavy reliance on swearing and unsubtle sexual innuendo, and the same jokes repeated throughout the evening. I'm not a prude, just prefer some intelligence and sophistication in comedy, which was distinctly lacking in this production. Also disappointing was that the 'action' concentrated on tables at the other end of the room to where my group was sitting and as the room was too big to hear what was going on that far away, we missed out on quite a lot. First 'impressions' of Basil, Sybil and Manuel were all fairly good - they'd captured their mannerisms and appearance well, and the initial drinks reception was fairly funny, but after that it was all downhill and increasingly boring. Surprisingly, the food itself was reasonably good, but overall I was glad to leave. If you are Fawlty Towers fan, don't bother with this!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

A bit cramped at the conference I went to and a distinct lack of rubbish bins. However, lots of excellent coffee/tea/orange juice/water available throughout the days. Air conditioning in the main auditorium was a bit fierce at times. Pretty central.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I liked the fact the venue was really modern and plenty of parking, which from 18.00 hrs only costs a pound, great value. What I did not like is the bar prices, £4.30 for a pint of beer, ridiculous.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

.. this place is really trying to be too many things at the same time. Over the last few years we have seen several gigs here : ballet, music, comedy and awards ceremonies. Unfortunately, I find the seating is not all that good, and does not really give you much comfort, or the atmosphere you expect for a ballet. Fine for comedy though ... overall a good and functional venue, just a little clinical really ...

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We've enjoyed several concerts at G Live. It's a very convenient location with good parking and we'd always promised ourselves a meal in the Mezzanine restaurant before a concert. Last night I took my daughter to see the Moscow Ballet for a birthday treat and booked to eat in the restaurant. Maybe 6.15 wasn't early enough for a one course meal as the food did not arrive until 7.20 and when it did arrive it was very disappointing. Dried up red cabbage, dried chunk of Sweet potato and very fatty duck breast and at £15.95 I wouldn't say it was good value for money. The Wine and champagne were good but the water never arrived! Such a shame.

2  Thank Jane R
GLiveGuildford, General Manager at G Live, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

We’re very sorry to read of your poor experience on the 4th of March. It goes without saying that this is not the standard we normally deliver, and would be happy to discuss this with you further. Please do drop us an email at marketing@glive.co.uk as we would love the opportunity to put this right.