“Superb stay!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Superb stay!”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed one Saturday night to see 'Clannad' at G-Live. The hotel was 1 minutes walk away on the other side of the road, so perfect if you are travelling to see an event there.
Room was an executive double and was spotless. Bath and shower were both excellent as was the cooked breakfast buffet with coffee or tea being served within 30 seconds of arriving at a table. The main bar was also great for a late night drink before retiring to the very comfortable bed.....Shame my wife snores!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have stayed before and it was ok, but for some time I noticed that the quality of service drops drastically and even the last time I was not allowed to stop in front to check-in due to lack of space in the car parking - no one was able to tell me where to park!
Think twice before you book.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
guildfordhotel, Public Relations Manager at Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Many thanks for taking time to post your comments; feedback is genuinely appreciated particularly from a regular visitor to the hotel such as yourself.

As you may be aware, Mandolay is the only hotel in the town centre to offer free parking to residents and other hotel users; occasionally this policy leads to a very busy car park.

We could of course alleviate many of the parking issues by introducing a parking fee but we feel this would be unfair to the vast majority of hotel users. The simple fact is that we have a limited number of car parking spaces and these are taken on a first come first served basis.

There are in excess of 300 car parking spaces within easy reach of the hotel and we are always happy to offer directions to guests that find our own car park full.

I sincerely trust that you appreciate the fact that we continue to resist the idea of paid for car parking, preferring instead to offer a free facility to our residents and other hotel users.

Once again, many thanks for your comments I hope that the lack of available free parking did not impact too much on your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandolay very soon.

Please contact me personally via ian.blyth@guildford.com if this response does not fully address your concerns, I would be delighted to help.

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with some friends and it was ideal for a cheap and cheerful overnight stay. I would not recommend this hotel for a romantic break as the rooms are not the most luxurious or well decorated I have seen ( to say the least).
The hotel is quite dated and they even give you a proper key to open your door as opposed to a card key most hotels use.
I would return here for the same type of trip as is a great place to lay your head but its not somewhere I would want to come for a special occassion.
Good stay overall, nice and clean but just not the most modern

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank j_flinn23
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I frequently visit our son in Guildford, but this was our first stay at the Mandolay. On arrival we were advised that we had been upgraded from the standard double room booked to an executive room, much to our delight. The room was spotlessly clean, well furnished and extremely comfortable. The restaurant and staff were great, and we came away feeling that we'd had a real treat. The weekend was great value for money and we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and got exactly what we'd asked for.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue M
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I'm really surprised at the number of poor reviews. I went here with my family on Sunday for lunch. I thought the menu was imaginative and enticing and the food was presented beautifully and was delicious. We were all admiring the lovely decor. But it was really quiet! Somehow they have got themselves a poor reputation it seems, but I can wholeheartedly say I thought it was wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LadyHelenJenkins
Randers
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Hotel is nice. The room I got was in the basement. Bathroom newly renovated. I stayed for four nichts but had trouble sleeping every night. One night three was a party in the room next door. Above my room was the conference hall. Ceiling was very thin so I could hear every footstep. When guests were gone late at night, they started rearranging chairs and tables. Early in the morning they started the laundry dryer which was also next door. Not gona stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ErikDenGrusomme
Guildford
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Excellent low key service and an excellent room, just perfect for staying over after a business function. I use the Mandolay regularly so am something of a convert but have never stayed there until now but would definitely do so again. Free wifi is good for a business user - some other local hotels charge you a lot for this.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Clive H