“Pleasantly surprised”

Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for one night while attending a wedding nearby, and I must say we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was just a few minutes taxi ride from Guildford station; I can't really comment on the surrounding area as we didn't venture out (except for the wedding). Check in was quick and the staff efficient and helpful; best of all, our rooms were ALL ready (3 different couples) at 11am, which was enormously helpful as we needed to get ready for the wedding.

Our room was great (number 83, junior suite in the loft) - well worth paying a little bit extra for, and very spacious and quiet. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows were maybe a bit thin; the rooms also do get a little hot (our friends on a lower floor had a similar issue). The room was quiet and we didn't hear a sound from adjacent rooms (which is one of my biggest pet hates), although this may have had a lot to do with the room layout: the only "shared" wall was at the back of the bathroom. There was no safe in the room, but there was an iron and ironing board which was very useful; not sure whether there was a hairdryer as I did not wash my hair whilst there. Tea/coffee making facilities were fine, and the shortbread biscuits were a godsend for midnight munchies. Breakfast in the morning was very good, with plenty of variety in my opinion (although we only sampled the hot breakfast options: eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, beans, hash browns). While very busy, the staff seemed to cope well and smile at the same time (even the chef in the kitchen greeted us cheerily); the manager was visibly involved in making sure things ran smoothly.

Overall we were very impressed with this hotel, and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and go for a junior suite; well worth it. Room 83 was on the top floor and at the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GT_28

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was surprise to find out that my room was much spacious due to roof system. The food quality was excellent. the breakfast table lacks more options, but manageable. The room was clean and speckless. It was close to main road, hence it was to try other restrauant in this area. Overall value for money hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank basheerus
Reviewed 15 November 2013

An average hotel that does the job.. Staff seem friendly enough.. Slight imperfections really put me off...

Bring your own spoons and mugs for in room tea.. Mine were FILTHY so much so I refused to drink out of them..

My room was big enough and there was no noise complaints.. The heating in the room has a mind of its own but luckily a fan was provided...

Overall it's an OK stay..

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Angel B
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Hotel was clean and room was comfortable if a little on the small side. Perfectly adequate for a nights stay. Located at the top of the high street within easy walking distance of restaurants and bars. Breakfast was steep at £12 so we walked down the road to Bills for a more reasonable and tasty alternative. Be aware they advertise limited parking but have a car park at the back that they charge £7 a night for. Would stay again after a night out if reasonably priced (paid £79 for a double on booking.com) but not worth it for full price when there is a Radison not far away.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main road
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My co-worker stayed in this hotel while I stayed at Holiday Inn in Guidlford and I wish I had stayed at Mandolay! The rooms were great and I really enjoyed hanging out at the bar. The staff at the bar were super friendly, always working with a smile in their face that made us feel home :) We definitely enjoyed spending some good time drinking some pints and relaxing after our work meetings.

The location is also great since it is close to the town center.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Martiño P
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked a triple room for myself and two friends to stay in, as we were staying in Guildford for my birthday. The room was a great size (5 of us got ready in there!) and was lovely and clean. We also managed to get a great deal meaning we only paid £20 each to stay overnight. The only downside was the cupboard sized bathroom, but it wasn't a deal breaker!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Rebecca L
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night only in room number 45 which it's adjacent to the stairs down to the basement area. People returning drunk going from room to room along the corridors. I finally got off to sleep at 2:30, I contemplated leaving around 2am due to the noise above my room; that was just foot traffic. The room was tiny for a double.

The bar area was nice, but you pay for it...

Room Tip: Don't stay in 45!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo