“Selfish guests spoilt our stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre

Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Rutland, England
“Selfish guests spoilt our stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this independant hotel, ideally situated in Guildford near the centre and with car parking facilities. However, during the night, my husband had to get up to ask a group of young people to stop talking outside our room, it was 4.40 am! I heard a girl laugh at him and he repeated the request this time a little more robustly! After a few minutes I heard the group disappear downstairs. What a shame our stay was spoilt by inconsiderate guests, who did not know the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Service/Room/Location and Amenities all very good. Cannot fault the hotel in any way.

It would be my first choice of hotel in Guildford whenever I next visit

I would recommend this hotel to anyone when visiting Guildford

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Bill L
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I took my mother, and girlfriend, for afternoon tea at The Mandolay recently. When we arrived, the staff on reception were very friendly, and the two gentleman serving in the bar were welcoming and professional. We each received a pot of tea of our choice, and a short time later is when the indulgence really began. We were each served a tower of home-made cakes - my particular favourite being the mini lemon tart - finger sandwiches and warm scones with cream and some delicious strawberry jam (well worth the £17.00 per person I paid)! If your looking for a afternoon tea in Guildford, then I highly recommend The Mandolay.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank karldavy75
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I attend regular breakfast meetings at the Mandolay, and always have a fantastic experience. Often I will stay on working in the bar until lunchtime, because the food is absolutely delicious. I have also been to the hotel for dinner and for drinks, and have never been anything other than completely impressed with the entire customer experience.

1 Thank Becky L
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I booked a double room as the singles looked very small and it was just as well judging by the room I got. The double was tiny, as was the bathroom. However it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The price was on the high side but the WiFi was free which was good and what I really liked was the power points at the side of the bed so everything could be charged at the same time and I didn't have to scramble about on the floor looking for the outlets. The room was also well lit which is another plus.
Breakfast was, again, on the expensive side but cooked fresh. I was sorry I didn't get a chance to try the dinner menu as one of my favourites was on offer, rabbit with prunes, and you don't find that on many menu's. Would I return - not sure.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We arrived late on a Friday evening after a hectic 6.5 hour journey from Newcastle. There isn't enough parking at the front of the hotel so we had to park near the back which wasn't a problem unless you aren't happy to pay a £7 parking charge. The rooms were pleasant inside but very small for 2 people. During Friday night we had a reasonable nights sleep and the breakfast the following morning was good quality with waitress service. However on the Saturday night when we returned at around 10pm there was a wedding and another event taking place at the hotel. There were people staggering drunk through the hotel with alcohol spilt all over their shirts and there were doors slamming and people being very loud up until about 4am. The next day at breakfast it was very full and rather than the table service we received the day before the cooked breakfast was buffet style and there were not as many options available. Quote disappointing, particularly for my mother and father in law who live in Guildford and had chosen the hotel to stay in following the renewal of their wedding vows that day. They probably would have just stayed at home!
I would say the hotel was reasonable but ask if there are any events booked before you stay as this really did make the experience from the first to the second evening differ quite dramatically!!
On the positive side It takes about 10 minutes to walk into Guildford centre so is well placed for restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Maybe go for one of the rooms that aren't in the main hotel complex as it could be quieter