“A gem of a hotel!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
goldenyears4two
“A gem of a hotel!”
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We have used this hotel a few times in the last two years and have never been disappointed yet. It has always been a superbly run hotel and we are happy to recommend this gem to any friends! We have stayed in various rooms and each time found them to be clean spacious, warm and comfortable! The ensuite bathrooms were always clean and fresh looking. In fact we have been delighted with the constant high standards. The staff have always been extremely helpful and more than happy to assist and we personally liked the fact that the hotel owners were often to be seen around, willing to give any help they could. They are obviously proud of their hotel and rightly so!
The Mandolay has a superb location. We are able to leave the car at the hotel and stroll into town to meet our family. The city is on the doorstep!
Well done to the Mandolay. We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goldenyears4two

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Kingsbridge, Devon
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We stayed in The Mandolay in March when we went to visit family. We have a young baby which is never easy in hotels. The hotel were excellent in accommodating us all from providing cots and high chairs, to heating up bottles. The rooms were a good size and very clean. The bar's were very cool and the breakfast in the morning was superb. The hotel is a stone's throw from the town centre and had loads of restaurants for us to chose from and great shops in the morning. We even did a bit of celeb spotting in the hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Locky900
Lowestoft
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I am a frequent visitor to the Mandolay and I have to say I was surprised by some of the reviews on the website. I usually stay in a standard room a couple of times a month and although the rooms seriously need modernising (next on the list I was told) overall I find them clean and comfortable and within my company budget. I can't say I have never had problems during my stays but when I have the ladies at reception have always been really helpful. The resturant is great and not bad for your money although I do think the drinks prices are a little steap!!! I am on the road a lot and I have to say I've stayed in some awful hotels but I honestly don't think the Mandolay is one of them.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Leeds
Reviewed 8 January 2010

After being invited to a wedding in guidford, me and my partner drove down from leeds to the mandelay hotel. From the outside it looked cosy, clean and just what we wanted. After checking in with a rude receptionist, we received our room key. as we opened the door to the £180 deluxe room, it was a basic, dark, gloomy room. After the long drive we had to get ready and go straight to the wedding as it was the evening party we was going to. I turned on the light to the bathroom to find "silverfish" and "maggotts". there was about 15 on the floor scurrying all over. My partner went down to reception to complain, only this made things worse. We were approached by two polish cleaners who didnt understand what we were trying to tell them, then the 2 cleaners started shouting in polish at us saying " these rooms clean" clearly it wasnt! We then asked the rude receptionist to speak to the manager, he said that there wasnt a manager on duty. Coinsidently the manager appeared as we were starting to get frustrated with the poor customer service. the manager offered us a basic room for £120 pounds.. What a [--]hole that was. THe tiles on the floor were coming off, the bathroom looked like some body had just smashed the bathroom up with a hammer, and the bedding had never seen a washing machine. After complaing a second time, we asked for a refund on our room. Big mistake this was, after the manager refused to speak to us he said as a gesture of goodwil he would refund us £50. This was nothing compared to £180 we had paid for the room. I strongly recommend the holiday inn not far from there, thats were we ended up abd it was fantastic! DO NOT STAY HERE... IT IS A DISGUSTING HOTEL!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

London
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Service was absolutely terrible!!! Never experience such poor service. Also, check your bill as they over charged me on the price that was quoted and refused to refund me once i had noticed the mistake saying i was told the wrong price - although my partner was with me when it was quoted. The breakfast included was stale and had a limited choice. The room had no towels supplied; which when we asked for took an hour to deliver to our room.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I stayed here prior to attending an event at the attached conference centre at the back. That is new, spacious and quite different in style to the older part of the hotel where my bedroom was - though it shares the general lack of daylight. The bedroom was of reasonable size, with bland decor. Furniture OK for short leisure stays, but the desk space was cramped for business use. However the free wireless network was welcome.
The bathroom was tiny - not much larger than the built in wardrobe.
Food was reasonable, with a good choice. The restaurant was noisy in the evening, but it was the party season.
The location is fairly central, but if arriving by train it is a good 20 minutes uphill walk from the main station, through the shopping streets. (London Road station looks closer, but did not try this.)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
London, England
Reviewed 27 November 2009

I did not stay in this hotel but went for a meal with a group of frineds. The food was very good and the menu was extensive, however the service was not great. There is very limited parking and although I did not stay in the hotel we drove round the back to get to the car park and most of the hotel rooms seemed to be located in a very cramped modern annex building which looked a bit like student halls of residence! From the plush exterior you would expect this to be luxury country house type hotel, but having seen the back, I don't think I would be in a rush to stay here!

• Stayed November 2009