“Best holiday we've had in a long time, from start...”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 108 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
RMcD28
“Best holiday we've had in a long time, from start to finish in Mango the VW camper ❤️”
Reviewed 22 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We had no plan & no map but we had a beautiful restored VW camper van called Mango. We started in Oxford and ended up in the New Forest. First holiday with out our teenage kids so frankly anything would have been good!
Looking to see some of our beautiful British countryside we embarked on our trip. Stopping at quaint little campsites that we found online.
Our camper Mango ( that's her name she's orange on the outside) is an old girl with a heart of gold. She could sleep four but we were only two , her bed folds out and is surprisingly comfortable and she has ample storage and a little gas stove and sink , quite perfect for our purposes. We were very lucky with our weather which made the whole trip perfect ❤️
Every where we went people took pictures,smiled and waved at us in Mango she gives people a lot of joy as you drive around in her.
Rod was fantastic and super helpful from start to finish , he genuinely loves his campers and now so do we ❤️. Hope to have our own VW camper van at some point but this trip has cemented that hope.

Liked best: Everything but especially our camper van , Mango.
Liked least: Having to give Mango back :(
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
chrisK795...
Farnham, United Kingdom
“A terrible experience”
Reviewed 21 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

I will summarise my review in one paragraph. We rented a modern campervan for £795 for a week. When we arrived to collect the van it was different to the one we booked (no DVD player, no gas heater…). The van also didn’t have most of the ‘included items’ included. The website states “just bring bedding and toiletries and we supply the rest”. They didn’t, 80% of the items were empty or missing. The van had no windscreen washer fluid, the fridge didn’t work for any of the rental period and there was no fire extinguisher (but a lot of gas appliances!). When returning the vehicle, Rod the owner laughed at all of our issues and made us feel like idiots for not just sorting them out ourselves. A terrible customer experience and a one that I could not recommend to others.

Now for the detail…

If you are considering renting a retro or modern campervan from Retro Campervan or Adventure Base Campers in Guildford/Kingsley please read this review to consider the potential for an experience like ours.

We hired a brand new 16 reg VW Transporter Campervan for the bank holiday weekend for me, my wife and our 4 month old baby. The plan was for the camping experience but with the luxury of items like a fridge to make life with a baby easier.

What we ended up with was more than a handful of false promises followed by unbelievably bad customer service when returning the van.

The website stated “just bring your bedding and toiletries, we supply the rest”. Almost nothing that was listed on the website was included with the rental. Simple things like sugar, coffee, olive oil, water etc that would have been easy for us to bring with us but instead we had to take the time out of our holiday to buy ourselves. Most of the included kitchen accessories like wine glasses, salad bowl, washing up liquid etc wasn’t included. And finally the fridge didn’t work. Suddenly we found ourselves in a brand new campervan, costing us £795 for a week that was worse than if we’d been in a tent with a coolbox.

Further evidence of the lack of care for their vehicles was 1 hour into our journey when we noticed the van didn’t even have any windscreen washer fluid.

Without the fridge we were having a pretty miserable holiday so we cut our trip short by 2 days. Unfortunately Rod the owner was away on holiday so we had to keep the van on our driveway for the rest of the week.

I had kept Rod fully informed with all of our issues via email throughout the week, asking him many times for suggestions on how to get the fridge to work. I suggested changing the fuse to which he replied “the fridge should be working fine Chris”. I made it clear via email that we weren’t happy with the experience and we expected some form of compensation. Little did I know that the problem with the van would be the least of our issues.

Rod is clearly a mechanic that also runs a company. It’s safe to say he doesn’t understand how customer service works. He basically laughed at all of our issues and fobbed each of them off saying “why didn’t you just fix the fridge, why didn’t you just fill up the windscreen washer fluid, why didn’t you just go to a supermarket to buy the missing items”. I will let you make your own mind up, but in my view this shouldn’t be my responsibility when hiring a £795 a week vehicle. If I had been renting a car from Avis, I would have had all my money back. Rod’s response was that he’s a small business so can’t be expected to offer the same service as a large company.

I made it clear we expected a refund, not only due to the bad experience with the van but also the ensuing customer service. Rod begrudgingly offered us £100 which I accepted to put an end to the sorry experience.

Clearly not everyone will have an issue with Rod’s vans when hiring them, but please consider the above information to prepare yourself for the potential experience if there is a problem. I only wish we had this information before making our booking. Never again I’m afraid Rod.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Benjamin...
London, United Kingdom
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed 19 September 2016 for a stay in July 2016

We rented a campervan from Rod for our Honeymoon in France. We had an unforgettable time. Thank you.

Carol P
“Campervan classic!”
Reviewed 18 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

My wife and I have just returned from a tour of the Cotswolds in Peaches, a 1970's classic VW campervan which we hired from RetroCampervan in Kingsley. Driving Peaches was certainly an experience, getting used to the gear changes after using a modern car was certainly an eye opener and there was no danger of us going over the speed limit. A much slower pace of life with plenty of people talking to us and admiring the van on our travels. So would definitely recommend the experience and the guys at RetroCampervan.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Service
Liked best: Being able to go where we liked, complete flexibility
Liked least: First experience of camp sites and shared facilities
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
Michelle...
“Fabulous service and such fun family time”
Reviewed 9 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Hired Mango for a week to go to festival and beach holiday with a 1 and 5 year old. We had a fabulous time such such fun would highly reccommend little girl kept singing"we're going on holiday in a campervan"just like peppa pig little boy ones it too -

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jacko1965...
London, United Kingdom
“APPRECIATED LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE”
Reviewed 6 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We hired Peaches for a week to travel to the New Forest, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall. It was me, my buddy and our young teenage daughters. It had been our intention to use the top for the teenagers to sleep in, but we were glad to have bought the pop up tent as it would have been far too cramped. Peaches was old, and slow, and the gears were a nightmare to begin with going up hills, but we LOVED her, as did everyone else who met her, she had such classic appeal, and all the other VW camper vans beeped us everywhere we went. Compact and efficient, she could have done with more up to date equipment (kettle, pot, utensils etc.), but was sufficiently equipped for two efficient women. Do wish we had pre-ordered an awning. I think this should be standard, especially with the unpredictability of the English weather. Nearly all of the equipment had seen far better days, but we managed well. This was the sort of holiday where we wanted to experience the basics of life again, so we made do and enjoyed it tremendously. Service was friendly and reassuring, but no added frills attached. Bring all your own bedding, towels, salt, pepper, teatowels etc., as if camping actually!
We had exceptionally good weather which made the holiday all the more enjoyable, but please don't expect any luxuries. This is the kind of experience you have to take the rough with the smooth on. We made so many memories in the beautiful English countryside and saw so much more of it simply because we just had to go sooo much slower. A real treat in the fast paced society of today. The teenagers were bored most of the time , although I think they will look back on the holiday fondly as we had so many laughs.
I would advise against going anywhere too hilly. For example, we left the camper at the park and ride when visiting Lyme Regis, and so glad we did as she never would have made it up the steep hills from stationary, without a 10 mile tailback behind us!
I would do it again in a heartbeat if........1) We didn't have any teenagers in tow 2) We could rely on the weather 3) A very close, efficient buddy, with a good sense of humour, was going with me again 4) We would choose a more modern, better equipped camper next time.
Not for the faint hearted.
Thank you RetroCampervan for affording us with a lifelong memory of some fabulous times in Peaches.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Liked best: The vintage experience
Liked least: The lack of equipment and utensils.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Swing8067
“Blueberry Experience - New Forest Aug 16”
Reviewed 22 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We had a lovely time travelling around the New Forest in Blueberry, she is a superb Camper van. Rod at Retro Campers made sure we had all we needed and his communication leading up to the trip was fantastic. I would definitely do it again and wholeheartedly recommend Rod and Retro Campers. Thank you.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing