“A great family Christmas!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manor House Hotel & Spa

and 1 more site!
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
“A great family Christmas!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Having read some very negative reviews on this hotel we were quite apprehensive on arrival for a family Christmas with our daughter, son in law & three teenage grandchildren!!
We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!!
All the staff from receptionists to waiters & bar attendants ensured that we had a great time!
The rooms were very spacious & comfy
The food especially Christmas dinner was delicious!! Compliments to chef!
Our only suggestion to management would be to perhaps serve a selection of sandwiches at the Christmas evening buffet
as not everyone likes cheese & pate!
Our sincere thanks to everyone at The Manor House Hotel for making our Christmas a very Special one!
We will certainly return!!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business after a horrendous stay at the 4 star Legacy Thatcher hotel last week!

Upon arrival, I got an awful welcome, 3 guys at reception, the receptionist, who I assume was a guy filling in to cover a break laughed when he said there is no lift and looked at my case. The two other guys were playing with their mobile phone. So nobody offered to help with my 3 bags! So I dragged them up the numerous stairs. I wasn't told any of the normal stuff, dinners served at 7, gyms there etc etc. SO I went upstairs rather deflated feeling unwelcomed. Rooms are extremely dated too, in need of an update. But my room was fairly clean, with the only slightly grubby elements due to age.

After that, my stay got better. The food is reasonably priced, and good quality. Grass fed beef, fresh chicken etc. And the waiting and kitchen staff were all great, and service was fast, and friendly.

The spa was lovely - free for hotel guests. It all was very clean, and the gym was decent too!

The Christmas décor made me laugh, no expense spared! A half pint glass sprayed with glitter with holly in, and they have wrapped the picture frames and rehung them!!

Overall, great for a business stay! I will book here if I have to stay in Surrey again!

Room Tip: ground floor or first if possible! Lots of stairs, and no lift to help with luggage!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Foodlover12345111111
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on business - bathroom pretty shabby: mould on wall together with other omninous stains, disgusting yellow stain on shower curtain, hairs (not mine) in bath and light fitting filthy. Family of ladybirds in bathroom and bedroom, hairdryer left over from the 70's, very strange metal frame bed!!! Hot breakfast was cold. Afraid I haven't got a good thing to say - should have stayed at the local Premier Inn instead!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DezzieD

Travellers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Shanghai, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

A word of advice; if, as you drive up to your hotel, assuming that it is not your intention to marry, you see a sign which says ‘REGISTRAR’ on a reserved parking space, I suggest that you turn around and find another hotel. Although weddings are often a cause for riotous celebration and excess for the participants, they can be most disturbing for anyone who is not part of the merry-making. Only too often these celebrations of union appear to be made up of revellers, who have no consideration or thought for other guests, who may be in the hotel on business, or attempting to relax in a quieter and more civilised manner, which in most cases never results in becoming blind drunk and disturbing the entire hotel.

The Manor House Hotel is an establishment, which is primarily geared to cater for wedding parties and the occasional conference. The swimming pool and gym, recent additions to the hotel, are good, as I believe, is the spa, although my wife was unable to obtain an appointment for treatment as it was inundated with wedding guests. The food at dinner was formulaic and predictable and the service no better than average. The breakfast was a disappointment but then I have never found stewed tea, from an urn or congealed, rubbery scrambled eggs and packet ‘Mothers Pride’ bread, curling at the edges, particularly appetising.

This is an attractive hotel with good facilities in beautiful grounds and I feel that with just a little extra effort on behalf of the management and a little more consideration of the needs of guests, other than wedding parties, this could become a good hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no wedding guests in the vicinity.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Philip B
lincoln
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I rolled-up at this Hotel having been turned away from the Hotel that I had actually booked for the night (they had overbooked "by mistake")

Despite it being 9 pm they found me a room and prepared a meal for me. I can't thank them enough.

Furthermore the Hotel is very pleasant, in a nice location and offers very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank impulsivearies
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I loved my stay here, my last night in the UK.

The welcome was warm, the room large and the grounds of the hotel well manicured. This is a banquet, conference and wedding hotel first and foremost but regardless, it is welcoming and attractive for all guests.

The front staff mailed a letter for me and rang a local cab company to determine travel time in the morning to Heathrow. The spa was clean. I had a good gym workout, a hot tub and a steam. Very nice. I slept like a baby as it is quiet, dark and heavenly.

The breakfast was a typical UK generic "full English" which was okay. I preferred the variety of the menu for the prior evening. Why are english breakfasts so dull and samey anyway?

Room Tip: All rooms seem quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Duffman23
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 6 days here when we visited Woking, paying more than £80 per night, without breakfast. We chose it on the basis of tripadvisor reviews. On the basis of that and the price we were expecting something nice. We were very disappointed. We quickly realised that they weren't very interested in our needs as they were focused on the numerous weddings and other groups they had. Many of the facilities were open limited hours and they didn't see it as a problem as they'd open them specially for groups. For example the restaurant didn't open till 7pm, and even t hen the menu was limited. Not a problem for groups of course who had food specially prepared. The staff were useless and complacent. Our first room had a bathroom with only Luke warm water and when we complained we were told we could have another room, but 'they were all the same,so it wasn't worth it'. When we tried another room it had water, but the main light in the room wasn't working. We were told they'd no way of knowing that the light didn't work!! Don't the maids check such things? Are they blind? In fact the lamp fitting had 3 bulbs in it and all had gone! They clearly hadn't checked in months! It went on with that for nearly everything. What could be a good hotel ruined by lots of little things, courtesy of poor staff and poor management. Not at all what we had expected at the price. Very poor value.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple