“Our Wedding”

Manor House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic time at our wedding, The staff were great and very attentive. We were really impressed and so were all our guests. We stayed for the weekend and many of our guests stayed for one or two nights and they were impressed too. We also had a 7 piece band and the hotel was really accommodating to them. We would recommend the venue for a wedding and also to stay at and definitely be visiting again. It was really good value for money and it was perfect! Thank you so much:-)

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite was amazing although my husband said the bed was a bit soft for him, I thought i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
G M, General Manager at Manor House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Sharon,

Congratulations again on your wedding and thank you for choosing the Manor House Hotel & Spa to celebrate your very special day. We loved reading your kind comments on our staff and our service, and the fact that that you recommend us to other people looking for a great wedding venue means the world.

We cannot wait to welcome you and your new husband back to the hotel very soon!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked the dinner bed and Breakfast Valentines special. Specifically booked this hotel rather than the others in the group for the pool and jacuzzi etc on the basis that I could spend a relaxing afternoon waiting for my husband to finish work. Had to call twice to get email confirmation of booking, and twice to try and find out what the dinner menu was! Arrived lugging two overnight cases, no offer of help to get up the stairs and told dinner was already booked in for 7 - too early as my husband wouldn't arrive by then! had to argue the case and was grudgingly given 7.45. Room ok, but tired and attention to detail needed in cleaning. Got the same reception from spa staff that Cassandra M did (at this point no one had told me about the boiler!) Got to use the steam room and that was it as pool and jacuzzi ice cold. When I came out appeared one member of staff was having a meal at his counter! Dinner was very disappointing. Tacky chocolate rose on my place setting, Starter of terrine ice cold, chewy and not enjoyable. The main course for my husband had to be sent back as inedible as so overcooked, the dauphinoise sent back twice as so undercooked they were also inedible. Wine ordered was just dumped on th table! Dessert was good luckily as we would have been a bit hungry. Walls are indeed paper thin, and I can confirm that the couple next door to us are obviously very much in love :-) Breakfast a complete disapointment , scrambled eggs only no fried or poached. Tinned tomatoes, no fresh ,Anemic sausages, processsed sliced bread. Not somewhere I would ever book again. Found out on the way out the the group is in administration - beautiful building and location, such a shame as if the managment don't up their game, cant see this surviving. Ironically its an email from the reception of this hotel asking me to write a review that has prompted me to do it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Manor House Hotel & Spa. It is only through valuable feedback such as yours that we can make changes and strive to exceed our customer's expectations.

We are under new management, and as such we are focusing on improving many areas raised in your review.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Overall wew had a fabulous time when we stayed at the Manor House, again; it's now become something of a tradition, which began before we got married at that venue in 2013. We'd stayed once for a Valentine's Package (when we happened to get the honeymoon suite), which then made it rather difficult to find any other venue which combined the location, the quality of food and staff, tha facilities and so on. The only slight downside, this time, was that the pool and sauna were both suffering from a broken boiler. The pool was nigh on ice cold, & the sauna was far cooler than usual. Nevertheless, the staff and the room, pus the evening meal (& free box of Lindor!), were up to their usual excellent standard. We'll certainly be visiting again next February 14th...;)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My review for Manor House is not favourable but I will try to be as fair as possible.

So I booked this for a spa break from a Friday to Saturday to celebrate a year with my partner.

1. Booking was easy, I spoke to a lovely girl called Emily who was very helpful and warm. In fact speaking to her made me feel more reassured about staying there. I also told her it was my anniversary and she said anything I needed they would help.

2. The grounds are quite nice, though a bit neglected, there was rubbish strewn in the car park.

3. Inside was not what I was expecting. The pictures don't show it is quite worn down and seems rather old like it needs to be spruced up. Receptionists were lovely and polite, they did tell me that they didn't have lifts (please be aware of that) but they did say someone could help.

4. I went to the spa en route to my room. I was greeted by staff that looked at me like id sat uninvited at their lunch table. I told them I was here for a visit and they deigned to provide me with faux smiles, whilst whispering and giggling whilst I walked away. Nice.

5. The room was big, the shower seemed scummy and there was a kettle in the room... That could barely fit under the tap, the bed was slightly broken and bent a lot in the middle. Wardrobe door was broken. By this time I was devastated as I wanted it to be a surprise for my partner and it was poor.

6. I was informed that because the person who took my booking had undercharged me they 'had to make their money back' where they can, so instead of my quoted 3 course meal we were only allowed a 2 course. Please eat out. The menu is not great though dessert is lovely. Breakfast was poor as well, would be better to visit the town centre.

7. Thin walls, I was woken up at 3am by wailing, I honestly thought someone was getting killed, this happened for about 45 mins. I told reception, they said if this happened the night porter would have known. Later on in the day I asked my neighbour she informed she was drunk and she was having a fight with her dad.... Okay!!

8. The pool heater was broken!!! A spa break with a cold pool!

I was just appalled, I felt like I was scammed but I just had to take it. Please think about it before you book!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Cassandra M
Reviewed 9 February 2014

A party of nine had afternoon tea to celebrate a 60th birthday. Indifferent welcome. Cold room. Shop-bought scones!! (I was so looking forward to a lovely home-made scone - one of my favourite treats). On the plus side - nice clean toilets. No-one asked us if we needed anything or if everything was OK. Not as if they were busy, there were no other customers that afternoon.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Winnie853
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I booked online for a get away. When I called to let them know what time I was arriving I was told that the restaurant was taking last orders at 8pm so booked a table for 7.45pm. We checked in and then found out that the pool facilities closed at 8pm too. This is quite ridiculous for a Saturday night!

The menu in the room wasn't offered at the restaurant with an abridged menu in place instead. If I had known this I would have gone to a local pub in there area that would have offered more choice and taken the opportunity to use the pool.

The room was pleasant enough but the walls were paper thin and we were able to hear the next door occupants talking, taking a bath at 11.30pm, going to toilet etc. From about 11pm there was continuous banging from downstairs. I phoned reception at 2am to report it as I thought it was the wind, the night porter said they had been moving furniture but was now "finished".

On checking out I found out the hotel was 50% full so I was surprised the restaurant closed so early. It turned out that the hotel was having a wedding fare the next day and they were setting up tables for the event which explained the noise. We told the day manager that should have been done before a reasonable time. She stated her surprise that the noise would "go up to the 3rd floor" and that is why guests were put there as it was a quite place in the hotel. So essentially she did not believe me and really missed the point. She was apologetic but that did not help my or the wife's awful night and left feeling worse off to what I was expecting!!

I would not recommend this place for a getaway unless you intend on taking sleeping pills or have a good few beers to get a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: I would avoid.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rigbygd
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Having read some very negative reviews on this hotel we were quite apprehensive on arrival for a family Christmas with our daughter, son in law & three teenage grandchildren!!
We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised!!
All the staff from receptionists to waiters & bar attendants ensured that we had a great time!
The rooms were very spacious & comfy
The food especially Christmas dinner was delicious!! Compliments to chef!
Our only suggestion to management would be to perhaps serve a selection of sandwiches at the Christmas evening buffet
as not everyone likes cheese & pate!
Our sincere thanks to everyone at The Manor House Hotel for making our Christmas a very Special one!
We will certainly return!!

• Stayed: December 2013