“horrible”

Manor House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Reviewed 3 May 2014

went there for a wedding. as i was assisting the couple with their wedding I had been the several months prior. everything seemed lovely, the staff we spoke to seemed very professional and was really happy for my friends. So it was to my absolute disgust the way the staff were on the day. to be honest the bar staff were the only friendly staff there! i found the disgusted looks several of us received from the staff appalling. As for the meals there was huge problems. even though enough kids meals had been ordered there was a not more than 5 year old that was not given any meal but a dessert. also as the bride had arranged an alternate meal for me due to dietary needs AND might I add paid extra for it I didn't receive my dessert. and when enquired about it, not one but several people were told that it would cost extra to offer me something different (once again already paid extra for the change) and only to have the dessert that was not part of my meal angry put in front of me only to not be eaten. I felt like they rushed this that and everything and i understand there is a time scheduled for everything but could have gone more politely and professional about it. Im just glad my friends had an amazing day even though telling the bride in the middle of her wedding day that she needs to pack up her room to be moved could have been mentioned possibly when she checked in the night before. Also was told by the couple they've had nothing but troubles also.with the staff. Im glad that even though through all of this their day wasn't ruined but would advise any other couple looking into this place to look else where.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank xdeejayx

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here last night as we were attending a function nearby. The staff were efficient at check in, but the room was very tired and dated and the bed sunk in the middle. Breakfast was disorganised and not much variety.
We simply needed somewhere to sleep, so it was ok for that, but I wouldn't return given the choice.
They need to spend some money, redecorate, and bring the building in line with the gardens - which were lovely.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina N
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We attended a wedding at the hotel and we have to say the staff are really not customer focused and will try there hardest not to accomadate your requests. a simple thing like asking for ice cream instead of cheesecake was to much bother. Frankly im disgusted with the service and would think twice before visiting this hotel if you like professonal courtesy and a welcoming feel.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank robertbrotherston
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked this hotel last minute and got a very good deal . I read the reviews on here which were very helpful .. our hotel room was nice bit dated but was clean and the bathroom was nice unsuite with a bath and the bed was very comfortable .. our dining experience on the first night wasn't very good we booked our table for half seven we arrived in the resturant where there was no one to greet us we went to the bar and asked if we just sit down of which we was then shown to our table.. we order and had starters as we was sitting waiting for our mains the table behind us started complaining about their food and then the table for six next to us started to complain about the steak wasn't cooked and the fish and chips were horrible along with the pie of the day ... my partner and I sat nervously waiting for our mains which was a beef burger and chicken burger .. we ate our no trouble all was fine .. we decided as so many people complained about thr food we would get a taxi into guildford on the second night for food which each way the taxi costs about £12-14 .. Unfortunately when we ventured out I was feeling unwell so we went back to the hotel where unfortunately I was unwell and was sick that evening which I can only asume was the burger eaten then night before ..we made a visit to the swimming pool on our stay which was smaller then it looks in the pictures but was very nice and quite at its busiest there was six of us using the facilities which was nice .. I would stay here again but the only let down is the food and not many restaurants close by unless you can afford the taxi fair into Guildford or you have driven you could venture out. On our final morning we went down for breakfast of which I was still unwell and just looking for toast but they had no food out and started clearing everything away of which this time was half 9 and breakfasts we were told went on till ten. this hotel is a very nice wedding venue and staff seemed to concentrate on the wedding that was being held.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked this hotel as a family of seven, three double rooms, one single.

Lovely stay, they had a wedding going on, which sort of filled me with 'dread' that the service for the rest of us would be poor. It wasn't, it was great.

We had a lovely meal, lots of time in the bar and the barman (sorry can't remember his name!) was great fun, joined in with our banter and was really hospitable.

The menu is fairly limited, but the food was great. As it happens all seven of us chose steak, varying cuts and requests for how is was cooked and every piece was spot on.

Used the spa, lovely, clean, free tea and coffee, everything working and in good order.

The star of the show though was 'Percy the peacock', the resident peacock, he enjoys the biscuits from the rooms and is beautiful, if a bit noisy.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for one night. Decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. Ordered tomato soup which came out cold. When I informed the waiter he stood there in total surprise and was not sure what to do. Waited 10 minutes for it to be re-heated. Ordered the the Rib eye steak which was the worst I've ever eaten. Truly depressing. Deep fried and half the joint was just fat. Complained to two waiters who just said sorry, gave an embarrassed laugh and took the plates away. Went and spoke to the manager who was polite, professional and apologetic. Stated he would take the steak off the bill. But not to be recommended especially if there is a wedding on and they are busy.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Andyhilly
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We held our wedding here a couple of weeks ago and we had a fantastic day. I stayed at the hotel the day before and wanted to get a nice relaxing spa treatment and even though they were really busy they squeezed me in. The treatment was good, not as good as I've had at the Hilton but that is reflected in the price, the pool and Jacuzzi facilities are very nice.
The staff did everything possible to ensure the day went exactly to plan, Dan was always on hand to help and nothing was too much trouble for him, we could not have asked for more on our wedding day.
The rooms are a little dated but this didn't put me off at all, it's all part of the character, however the room i stayed in the night before the wedding could do with a decent mattress as I didn't sleep well at all!
The only slight let down was the breakfast the next morning, tea and coffee served from flasks was not very nice, not much variety to the hot (warm!) food. The food for the wedding breakfast was a completely different story, everyone commented how lovely it was and nothing in comparison to the breakfast.
Beautiful grounds made for some lovely photos and the kids really enjoyed running around and playing in the fields. Keep an eye out for the beautiful peacock wandering around!
I would recommend this venue to anyone planning to get married!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple