“Great little Thai resturant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Rumwong
Ranked #15 of 281 Restaurants in Guildford
Price range: US$65 - US$65
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great little Thai resturant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Tuesday night and the restaurant was absolutely packed! Always a good sign. Attentive service, lovely fresh ingredients at reasonable value. The prawn stir fry was fresh and perfectly spiced. Everyone in my party enjoyed it. Would recommend.

Visited May 2014

Vancouver
“step back in time....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

There's a kind of throwback to restaurants gone-by at Rumwong. It's been in Guildford for 30 years, and the waitresses blouses probably date back that far. But, still, it's a lovely restaurant, if a bit stuffy and stiff. The staff is pleasant enough, but rather charmless. I get the sense that there's a bit of tension coming down from the management.

On to the food, though. Well, I'm a vegan, and Thai food is tough for me, but I keep on trying because I love Thai food, and some places can really accommodate. Some. Most cannot.

So, I called Rumwong and asked about making a reservation for the evening. Then I mentioned that I'm a vegan, and asked if they knew what that meant. "Yes, yes," they replied, "We have a vegan menu." I was in shock, and got in the car to drive the 75 minutes to get there.

When I got there, I discovered that there is no vegan menu. There's a vegetarian menu, but they consider "fish and fish products" (i.e., shrimp paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce...) to be part of the vegetarian diet.

This was disappointing. Still, the waitress read the Thai page in my "Vegan Passport" very carefully. Unfortunately, she announced that I would not be able to have any of the curries, just the stir fry dishes. That's lame, because I can get a stir fry anywhere!

In the end, the food was really good -- and I can honestly say it was the BEST Tom Yum soup I've ever had. The other dishes are less memorable, but they were good. I started with a kir royale, and the flute it came in was great!

But, over all, it was disappointing to be told about an erroneous vegan menu....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank turkergirl
“The tops!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went there for the first time last night on the recommendation of friend.The food was excellent and the prices were reasonable (I had three courses,two soft drinks and some lemon grass tea for £25).Also,the service was very prompt.We waited just 5 minutes between courses!If I am ever in Guildford again I will definitely be paying another visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Great food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Went there for a Friday lunch with friends. Great starters, and red beef curry and minced pork with chilli were high points in the main courses. Friendly and efficient service, and a good value wine list.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quality Thai Food served by wonderful staff in Guildford Surrey UK .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The restaurant has a gentle atmosphere created by the waiters and waitresses and the quality of the food is exceptional with beautiful flavours and well presented food. The staff overall are approachable and ensure that you receive a quality service. Try this restaurant it is like a precious secret but needs to be shared so other diners can experience it too. Finally and importantly is is reasonably priced throughout the menu

1 Thank Joan J